Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: PvP Events on Testlive - II

Quote Originally Posted by Bonera View Post
    merging fury and crom, and making pvp and pve instances for each zone for questing and events is the only solution... I hope FC will come down to this idea one day.
    i think the pvpers staying with fury that havent taken teh free transfers have made it quite clearly, they leave if fury goes

Quote Originally Posted by Bonera View Post
    merging fury and crom, and making pvp and pve instances for each zone for questing and events is the only solution... I hope FC will come down to this idea one day.
    This has been tried with other games and it doesn't work. As simple as that people will always choose the path of least resistance, and guess what the path of least resistance is.

The fact that people think this is negotiable is madness. This is as pure of pvp content as it gets as open world is the staple of real pvp anyways. If you put it on a pve server than there is literally 0 point of a pvp server. Pvpers had been spat in the face for far too long and finally FC is starting to make changes in the right direction.

Imagine having a server that focuses on pvp and a server that focuses on pve. Hmmmm maybe we could call them pvp servers and pve servers... Wouldn't that be a sight
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    Well, the new events look more like consensual, objectives-based PvP to me. But of course they take place in the open world. So what does this mean?

I think the real answer is much more pragmatic. FC realise they should do something for PvP. But clearly they don't have the resources to really rework open world PvP systems (e.g. factions, consequence system, etc) as some people demand on these forums. Also, the new minigame map is taking an awful lot of time. Most likely, these open world events are just something that FC are able to roll out relatively fast, given their resource constraints.

Bearing this in mind, I think the decision on where to roll out the events also should be pragmatic:

1. There have always been people with a strong PvP interest on PvE servers (much like the other way round). These are starved for new PvP content, just like people on Fury. If you force them to transfer or miss out, they will be unhappy. (Note that in my previous post, I focused on transfer costs. However, there may be other reasons not to transfer, e.g. that the people you enjoy playing with the most will stay on the PvE server, etc.)

2. "Promoting Fury" is no compelling reason to limit the PvP events to that server. If Fury has population issues, there will be a reason for that. Forcing customers to abandon one thing they want (e.g. the bigger population on Crom) to get another thing they want (the events) will inevitably piss people off.

3. If there are other reasons (e.g. difficulties with the server ruleset) which make an implementation on Crom more difficult, then by all means limit the events to Fury. However, in this case it would be nice if FC offered free transfers - otherwise they risk pissing people off.
    Objectives isn't what makes PvP consensual or not. Bori for instance isn't consensual like Shiwan mentionned and having it on PvE servers wasn't a good idea.
    The open-world event and open-world quest they've been talking about goes into the sense of stimulating that sort of PvP which has nothing to do with PvE servers.

You say some players on PvE servers are really PvP centered. But they have no clue about open-world. Open-world is the whole point of AoC's PvP with FFA system. So that argument doesn't really stand. I chose PvP servers for nothing else then open-world that's the aspect of the game i've enjoyed the most.
    Put those on PvE servers and you'll end up with something half-baked as Rage was.

It's not to promote Fury. It's just a question of coherence. In my opinion there's two options. Continue to blur the lines between the servers to the point you can just merge the two. Or conversly make them more diffrent to fit players better.

Like i said before, the particularity of PvP servers is to have Open-World PvP. And open-world doesn't like half-baked measures. It's a diffrent way of considering your gaming adventure. It's a constant game of cat and mouse. Sometimes your the cat, sometime your the mouse and you don't necessarly know what you are before the fight start. Be attracted to more hot spots, but have lasting conflicts without closed boundries. Gank some out of Bori, get ganked to oblivion during a world boss as revenge or sneak attacked by sins in Khesh while watching duels.
    That's how open-world works and should. Bori came around, people still fought in Kheshatta and Khitai over old grudges and vengeances. Make something completely and clearly outlined, cornered in very limited spots and times and it's bull crap.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Vehl View Post
    Objectives isn't what makes PvP consensual or not. Bori for instance isn't consensual like Shiwan mentionned and having it on PvE servers wasn't a good idea.
    im ok with pve servers having an open world pvp sample. clikc rock mechanic tho....

Default FC strategy on low expenses

If open world pvp quests will be available on crom then Fury will die but have u ever think maybe funcom wants only one server with pvp zones and pve ruleset so to have less expenses less staff ? Maybe this server will be crom so one server with lots of ppl and all will be happy pvpers and pvers and funcom of course spending less dollars
    Last edited by Antigonus; 5th March 2014 at 19:00. Reason: Mistake

Nearly every MMO with open world PvP fails at one point or another, it's not the game it's the people rolling on the wrong server and complaining about it. Creating new open world objectives and limiting them to the pvp servers won't fix anything, you'll still get people complaining about something. Age of conan is far too weak to segregate it's player base any further. I fully support keeping this to fury only but there seems to be a dullision floating around in people's minds that this will fix the game, therefore the argument about pvp is better than pve or vice versa is moot. There was a time several years ago it was cool to brag what server you were on but not now. I'm excited for these changes ONLY because it shows that they are now thinking about how to improve their game, but this khopshef fiasco isn't going to fix anything because the people will ruin it.

Revert pre-1.05 problem solved
    Anuhart
    Mysticblood
    Holyssmoke

Alienware Area 51 990x 4.30GHz
    Water-cooled Radeon R9 290X

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonus View Post
    If open world pvp quests will be available on crom then Fury will die but have u ever think maybe funcom wants only one server with pvp zones and pve ruleset so to have less expenses less staff ? Maybe this server will be crom so one server with lots of ppl and all will be happy pvpers and pvers and funcom of course spending less dollars
    low expenses by going full pve is not low expenses lol

Open world PVP with no purpose fails. It really has failed on almost every MMO that has come out. The problem is devs do PVP servers as an after thought to any real PVP content. They make a PVE game, create a PVP server and call that PVP.

Open world PVP servers are just lost on most MMO players. They roll on a PVP server to PVE, get ganked, and then all hell breaks out, thus the problem AoC has now, empty PVP servers.

Why can't they make a game with some real PVP content? Objectives, PVP only quests, leveling your toon through only PVP, gear that is meant for PVP (PVE gear should never be effective for PVP) the list goes on, and nothing on this list is in AoC for PVP.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Kellaxe View Post

Why can't they make a game with some real PVP content? Objectives, PVP only quests, leveling your toon through only PVP, gear that is meant for PVP (PVE gear should never be effective for PVP) the list goes on, and nothing on this list is in AoC for PVP.
    You obviously have not read anything recently in this thread, this forum, testlive forum, or played on the testlive server.

These are the pvp things funcom is testing right now:

1. Pvp weapons - already released

2. Pvp gear - testing

3. Class tweaks - testing

4. Open world pvp quests - testing

5 pvp events (king of the hill, etc) - testing

6. Mini game token to bori conversion - testing
    (Not the other way around, so you will have to win mini games to get gear)

You can join the testlive server and help instead of complaining, if you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf-of-Evil View Post
    You obviously have not read anything recently in this thread, this forum, testlive forum, or played on the testlive server.

These are the pvp things funcom is testing right now:

1. Pvp weapons - already released

2. Pvp gear - testing

3. Class tweaks - testing

4. Open world pvp quests - testing

5 pvp events (king of the hill, etc) - testing

6. Mini game token to bori conversion - testing
    (Not the other way around, so you will have to win mini games to get gear)

You can join the testlive server and help instead of complaining, if you wanted to.
    So long as it gives me the chance to dominate other players in open-world combat and then brag about how superior in PvP I am (which I am,) I'm all for it
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." --Robert E. Howard

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast