Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Noobs destroying the fun

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapajack View Post
    Wouldn´t it be far better to just explain dungeons to new players?
    If everyone just search for "AA exp t3 gear" and so on, the game will just stagnate in its current status with the same playerbase, then slowly but surely will go extinct.

There is no problem when new players join the game and dungeons, the problem occurs when noone helps them and they become "noobs", loose interest and leave again.

I can understand that everyone wants a smooth run, maybe grab the missing item he/she wants and some tokens.
    But maybe you would be surprised what even an undergeared player can achieve if you just explain an encounter and help them out a little bit.

Greetings

Bigpapajack
    Easy to do on Teamspeak/Vent/Mumble. Right royal pain in the arse in group chat especially if you need a perk used at the right time or a player not to hit the boss at a particular moment.

If people don't know an instance the place to learn it is in a guild, not in a group that asks for experience. It's also, surely, incumbent on a new player taking his or her own initiative and looking online for tactics, perhaps watching youtube before joining a group that asks for exp. Basically what they're asking for is you know what you're doing and you can get 99% of the way there by your own research.

A group leader may be asking for experience for a reason, eg the he may only have a short time in the game that day and doesn't want to have to teach someone how to play each dungeon.

A little bit of common sense goes a long way and in the situation the OP describes the onus is on newbs to do their own homework.

If a new player perpetually fails and continually wipes the group then the gl is within his rights to kick the player and the newb is not within his rights to indulge in some hippy sit down protest.

The fact the newb knows that by not budging after being kicked, fecking it up for everyone else perhaps shows he's not such a newb after all and just a poor player.

Quote Originally Posted by Jota180 View Post

If a new player perpetually fails and continually wipes the group then the gl is within his rights to kick the player and the newb is not within his rights to indulge in some hippy sit down protest.
    I can't speak about unchained but in monastery,KK and chosain dungeons runs I think it's almost impossible wipe because there is only one bad/new player if the other 5 are half of the pro-players the OP thinks he is.

And if you can't kill a boss in HM the best think you can do is kill it in NM. Kicking people in a 6 dungeon should be the last option with this low population in game.
    Last edited by xiulo88; 4th March 2014 at 11:00.
    -> DT:Stiraqvcrn; Necro:Munyidora; ToS:Stiraqvaa; Guard:Stirameco; BS: Stiraqcanya, ...

If you see one Stira wipeing a group or a raid Its me

The problem with newbies isn't that they don't exactly know what they are doing, rather, that they fear the moment they ask questions they will be ridiculed & kicked from the group. A good way of going about things is to ask for experienced PUGs & never assume your PUGs are experienced. Make it clear that it's no problem if you need to explain anything.

That being said, there is a pretty significant proportion of the newbie population that is just plain unteachable. I keep a toon in a smaller guild that has a few people like that... Just last night, I pleaded for heals from one of them, got a green heal... Asked again, green heal refreshed... asked for "BLUE HEAL!" & about 30 seconds later got one.

Quote Originally Posted by xiulo88 View Post
    I can't speak about unchained but in monastery,KK and chosain dungeons runs I think it's almost impossible wipe because there is only one bad/new player if the other 5 are half of the pro-players the OP thinks he is.

And if you can't kill a boss in HM the best think you can do is kill it in NM. Kicking people in a 6 dungeon should be the last option with this low population in game.
    So you do flame without finely honed? Kiting a boss around for 20 seconds every 30 or so seconds isn't my idea of fun. Or the only healer dying because he didn't know to run on the aoe. Or dying because he didn't put the sand down. Or jumped off the ledge in vortex. Stood in the water or went out of the rectangle and died.

Or didn't use SF in Den or tainted weapons in Abyss. There's many ways to wipe a group of even experienced, well geared players.

Like I said, if a newb wants to learn a dungeon the best place to do it is in a guild. That's what guilds are for.

What groups that ask for experience are for is people with experience.

If the new player says in the tell he's new and not sure of the tactics it then gives the group leader the option whether to take the player. That would be a common courtesy to the group leader and the other players in the group.

If the new player hides the fact he doesn't know the tactics then repeatedly dies and possibly wipes the group then he's really no one to blame but himself for getting kicked.

So, ultimately, it's in the inexperienced players hands how to deal with it. Open and honest, or underhand and sneaky.
    Last edited by Jota180; 5th March 2014 at 13:25.

Best way to deal with this is to just put ppl on ignore list, 2 rl months of playtime on my tos and already got over 60 ppl on ignore. And trust me when i say that quality of pugs im running is improving everyday. I dont ignore undergeared chars, just remove them from grp, lets give them a chance but what pisses me off is the leechers and just plain bad players that wont take advice or just dont read group chat/tells. Had a pom yesterday 5k hp, 9k conq with blue/green gear lvl40~ sword claiming he can offtank "np" with bubbles, dt kiting palace mob in frenzy.... What i love most tho is priests using big heals when tanks are on 20% or poms with rotation that goes like this: smite, smite, smite, smite. /whine off

Lets get to the truth of the issue... its the QQrs not the noobs destroying this game.

i know it's borderline necro thread, but the last "the noob comic" chapter perfectly fits this!!

http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=444
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Ah well...

being one of two guild leaders from a small "noob" guild organizing some PUG if we dont have enough guildies or friends, I wish to say that its somwhat ridiculous to ask for AA/EXP/GEAR. When I ask on global for that, I only ask for EXP. IF that person is exp, he will know what AA and Gear he has to have to get his part done. If he is much exp and a good player, he can do the HM in blue lvl 80 gear.

But its more fun to ask for "relaxed group". Because thats what I like. Having a wipe or two more or even never get it done, but to have a good atmosphere. Personally I get more enraged when I ask for "relaxed group" and a "frustrated elitist" comes join us. Sometimes I add "No frustrated elitist" in the global add.

Its so much more fun making friends than foes...

I never bash folks simply for not having done something before. We all did it for the first time at some point. And if a player says "I've never done this before" I'm happy to offer advice.

But having said that, I'm in total agreement with the OP. Lately PuG 6-mans are a nightmare but not always because of the inexperienced.

Case in point: I'm on my PoM and I join a PuG for RoF/Vortex/Palace. Our Barb misses a burn skin and we wipe in RoF. We regroup and he does ok and we finish it and move on to Vortex. Our MT leaves. The Barb offers to swap to a DT to tank the main boss while our Conq kites the two adds.
    Me still on the PoM, was pleasantly surprised to see the (Barb)DT walk in wearing what looks like Full BD (he had chest legs helm and boots. I didn't bother looking at belt, hands etc.). So we start the fight and he's tanking and although I'm throwing my big, my CG and Shimmering, his health is steadily marching down. He gets below 50% and still no Dread Shadow. Finally at about 25-30% out comes the DS. And I couldn't believe what I was seeing, but as soon as the agro went to the DS...the guy stopped hitting stepped back and waited for the DS to expire. This went on until the next time his DS came off cool-down, and repeated. We might have actually downed this boss except that he missed a Resolve, got teleported up to the ledge and promptly killed himself jumping off. Agro went to me and I ran around for a full minute, kiting the boss, waiting for the Conq to figure out what happened and battle rez the DT.

So, I guess the point of this rant isn't even really about new players, so much as bad players. How the hell do you get full BDA, and be that bad of a tank? And I'm not even considering the failed Resolve...anyone can miss a cast. No bigggie there, but to actively and consciously stop attacking and lose agro relative to your DPSers and Healers AND not even understand that as a DT you have to hit something in order for your taps to heal you back up is fail.... "the likes of which God has never seen" ~Stilgar

</rant>
    Last edited by AOC-Kyyle; 23rd March 2014 at 10:13.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast