Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [About to quit] Alright Funcom lets talk Europeans and Ping!

For those who think the latency only affects melee in pvp.

Every time you do an action (white hit, start casting, combo finisher, etc.), you need to add your latency to the animation.

Let's take a Fire of Ghenna as an example. It's a 2 second cast. Let's say it hits a strawman for 1.000 damage. Dps is the damage divided by the cast time, so it's 1000/2 = 500 dps.

But because of the latency, the real dps is lower. My ping is 320 ms so all my FoG will really take 2.32s to execute, resulting in a dps of 431 instead of 500. Basically, I loose 13.8% dps on that spell.

Now let's look at the instant casts, it's even worse. Iirc, instants are computed as 0.5s spells. For me it's 0.5 + 0.32 = 0.82s. That's a loss of 39% dps. And it's only about computation as the real animation is instant. A demo with no latency can cast 2 instants at the same time. For me, it takes 0.64s. It screws the rotations.

High latency makes it extremely hard to hit a moving target. It also makes it extremely hard to run off an opponent for the same reasons. But what most people miss is that it also reduces your dps a lot so yes, it affects pve as well. Dots seem not to be affected. I didn't noticed a big difference on my necro with 320ms and 100ms. Classes with a lot of instants or short animations are penalized the most. Last time I went to Europe for holydays I made a test on a strawman on my demo. About 1200 dps with 320ms lag and about 1600 dps with 100ms lag. Using the same character, perks, gear, and rotation.
    Last edited by Bumbo; 13th February 2014 at 14:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Osireis View Post
    works for me and all aussies, EU servers use to be 500-800 ping which is unplayable(i tryed) vs US 300-400 ping so if they moved them to EU no aussie would be playing EU ping is ok 150-200 sounds awesome to me lol
    Sounds like some are ok with the ping rates...

You're absolutely right Bumbo, funny enough I find the issue less apparent on melees IN PVE - I presume because you can preload combos while your current one is running and chain most actions with less delays than casters. If you see what I mean (I think your BS still does ok dps on a static target compared to before, right?).

I have sometimes played melee with a high latency (200-300ms) and managed to pull off some extremely high dps (when the latency was high AND relatively stable that is - when it's all over the place there's nothing you can do).

However IN PVP it's much worse than casters because of the aiming factor of course. That being said many people don't realize that you can run up behind a caster and if he has high latency he will have a hard time adjusting - I noticed that when playing my fresh pom vs speedbuffed barbs/sins. Need to adjust constantly and avoid getting line of sight blocked/out of range/facing wrong way etc.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

About the ping. Im at 300-700 normally and get redlags all the time. I get around 5 dc during a mini and rubber banding and see people porting 100% of the time. So I decided to quit aoc and try something else. And that sucks cause aoc is the king:/ but since the merge it totally unplayable at least for me in the Swedish woods if fc ever fixes it I will be back in a nanosecond.

300-700 is INSANE man... You should look at your router. Hope you are connected to internet with a cable and not wireless. What is your ping to www.google.com ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steien View Post
    About the ping. Im at 300-700 normally and get redlags all the time. I get around 5 dc during a mini and rubber banding and see people porting 100% of the time. So I decided to quit aoc and try something else. And that sucks cause aoc is the king:/ but since the merge it totally unplayable at least for me in the Swedish woods if fc ever fixes it I will be back in a nanosecond.
    That's a problem on your end, not Funcom's - if only AoC behaves like this it's a routing issue that your ISP has to fix. If they don't/can't, look for a VPN (http://incloak.com/, FrozenWay and other solutions like that).

Yes I'm connected by cable and my connection is good. My internet provider tried helping me with different isdn and all but it's as good as it gets before the merge I was at 80-120ms and never experienced redlags or freezes..but now it's just fun to log and see my poor guard acting like an old dubbed Asian movie but never mind I guess it will be fixed someday..meanwhile I tried rift..far from being aoc but at least gives me something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    300-700 is INSANE man... You should look at your router. Hope you are connected to internet with a cable and not wireless. What is your ping to www.google.com ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steien View Post
    My internet provider tried helping me with different isdn
    Wait, what?! ISDN? I really hope that you mean ADSL? If you are on dial-up, that's as good as being disconnected from the internet in the year of 2014.
    Last edited by Shax84; 14th February 2014 at 06:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    Wait, what?! ISDN? I really hope that you mean ADSL? If you are on dial-up, that's as good as being disconnected from the internet in the year of 2014.
    Yeah meant travel route for My connection from My router to the aoc server in the us, not a 56k modem. Where i live i Can Max get 24mb adsl and only 1 provider and they wont change route sooo...im f-cked anyways havent played for 3 weeks and the abstinens is gone so giving it up after 4 years Hope u guys have better ms and that aoc lives on cyas

You can just use a VPN to work around your ISP's fvckups. Takes only a handful of seconds to set up and requires no special knowledge. Unless your connection is just bad overall in which case there is nothing you can do.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast