Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We Need Generic Classes...

Quote Originally Posted by Religolibri View Post
    Some was fusionned to one class so they have more possibilities, which was a good move imho.
    Yeah, someone posted something I think a while back of what the original classes were, it had something like 16 on the table at one point, Guard, HoX, ToS, and Sin I think were all classes that got merged with others.
    Doomsayer 2008

Rangers too. If I remember well one class was crossbow, the other had bow.
    Anyway I'm fine with classes in game I don't want a NCE à la Star Wars Galaxy
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

Balance is a PVP thing... what most people fail miserably to understand is this:

An RPG, paper or MMO, is only balanced with a member of each archetype in a group.

This whole "balance" discussion with regard to individual classes is patently ridiculous...

Vanguard Class (Soldier) - Conq
    Faithful Acolyte (Healer) - PoM
    Skirmisher (Rogue) - Barb
    Elementalist (Mage) - Demo

Solved. No need for new classes.
    Emirri - Dark Templar
    Naerri - Herald of Xotli, Arrienne, Argene, Barbeena, Conqubinne, Shaniz, Shinzei, Laylani and Dorela

Quote Originally Posted by wancow View Post
    Balance is a PVP thing... what most people fail miserably to understand is this:

An RPG, paper or MMO, is only balanced with a member of each archetype in a group.

This whole "balance" discussion with regard to individual classes is patently ridiculous...
    What? it is probably patently ridiculous because of you can foresee you are not going to get your cookies...

No game doesn´t need more classes what for? Aren´t 12 of them enough? Of course there can be some individuals who would like to have more and more... but there is really no need for it.
    Xuhotl - arcimage of the city of Xuthal in service of great army Futilez - HoX PvP lvl 10
    Bordhi - Khitai legionary - DT PvP lvl 7
    Bahary - vampire and your nightmare - Lotus Sin PvP lvl 7
    Shiwan - the last of Corrags - retired noob Barb PvP lvl 8

Quote Originally Posted by Unutterable View Post
    Open demo and necro to Aquis and Cimmerians
    Yes x1000

Always wanted to be an aquilonian Necro / Demo
    Nohrin - Stygian Herald of Xolti
    Ubogin - Cimmerian Bear Shaman
    Noxamor - Aquilonian Barbarian

If you are interested in Age of Conan Livestreams, check out my Livestream or better yet follow my Livestream at www.twitch.tv/visoth

Quote Originally Posted by wancow View Post
    Which is a good reason for opening existing archetypes to races which do not yet have access to said archetype.

But it doesn't explain why you want additional classes in the game. There are other factors which come into play here:

* PvP balance, which you acknowledge;

* PvE balance. While this may be less of an issue, it is neverthless relevant if a class doesn't bring much to the table compared to others (just check the various guard vs conq vs DT threads on these forums);

and assuming that you accept that balance is a valid design goal (which you should):
    * flexibility within a class vs number of classes: compare e.g. Path of Exile (free character customisation with an absolutely insane feat tree) vs The Banner Saga (huge number of classes with very limited customisation within a class). You need to go down either route to limit design complexity. This applies in particular in MMOs, where balance is more of an issue than in those single player games;

and importanty:
    * fun! Having a new class for the sake of it being new isn't good design. If you propose new classes, then what is it that they bring to the table? How are their intended game mechanics different from what is in the game? How do you dress these mechanics up in terms of visualisation / description / lore background so the class fits with world design (in our case, Hyboria as envisaged by REH)? Etc etc

On the whole, I for one am fine with the classes we have. By contrast, what I'd love to see would be a culture PvP ruleset with archetype restrictions being lifted. But I am a rather doubtful anything like that is in the pipeline
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

meh, all this would be an issue if the culture servers were still up and running, but since they´re closed for ages now, why bother? (unless FC plans to reintroduce this /imho interesting/ feature again.. ehm)
    aka Morte.. Morce.. Morte.. Morce again.. bah, whatever..

I think we should get a class like this.

Heavy to plate armor
    Has it's own off tank
    Can heal its self
    Can heal group
    Can do 1200 dps tanking
    Can do 2k+ dps in frenzy
    Requires no thought process, just normal combos while stacking crit chance.

Oh thats rite, we already have one of those, it's called the DT.
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    Yeah, someone posted something I think a while back of what the original classes were, it had something like 16 on the table at one point, Guard, HoX, ToS, and Sin I think were all classes that got merged with others.
    HoX is one of the only classes that didn't get merged.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast