Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tanking: Fearless or courageous?

Default Tanking: Fearless or courageous?

would like to hear experienced guards opinions, which set has better overall aggro? is the difference in survivability significant?

im talking about big pieces mainly, but feedback about small parts is welcomed as well.

For S&B guard the question is more what kind of damage you will be tanking, tanking physical fights you take Courageous because of the higher aggro and survivability, and against magic you use Fearless.

The added crit and crit damage from fearless makes close to no diffrence for a S&B guard, more important is the additional hit rating on the Courageous set that allows you to use rings/neck without hit rating.

No need to make Things more complicated than it is, you choose armor based on what will hit you.
    I am Stian ingame...

I wouldn't bother and just go fearless with courageous shoulders/wrists and indomi or fearless hands. Crits buff S&B aggro and damage, too.

I'm sure full courageous works too, but I'd definitely go for fearless first since it works for every fight.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Civilix View Post
    For S&B guard the question is more what kind of damage you will be tanking, tanking physical fights you take Courageous because of the higher aggro and survivability, and against magic you use Fearless.

The added crit and crit damage from fearless makes close to no diffrence for a S&B guard, more important is the additional hit rating on the Courageous set that allows you to use rings/neck without hit rating.

No need to make Things more complicated than it is, you choose armor based on what will hit you.

CS set is pretty weak.

FS big pieces combined with CS small pieces is the way to go.

Hit rating with t4 gear was never a problem and using accessories with no hit rating makes no sense either, unless you use fail ring like T3 coils of boa.

Armor difference in between FS and CS big pieces is non existent, beside the minor difference in armor numbers on paper but since you're hitting the top mitigation and it has diminishing return that number does't make any big improvement cause in provoke tactic your armor is 59% with both FS and CS, but what you loose by using CS is all crit rating and a lot of crit damage rating.

About the hate increase difference, the numbers go like this:

with CS set 20.5%, with FS big pieces 19.6%, but the trade off for not even 1% hate is all the crits and crit damage again.

And if anyone things that crit rating and crit damage and damage does't benefit guards they are totally delusional.

The way I see CS set is, for some extreme situations when you have to slightly boost your HP, but for 99% of the fights in game both dungeons and raids you dont need CS big pieces what so ever.

I chose not to jump on the Fearless bandwagon. Its amazing how many guards will argue to death that Fearless is the only way to go and I Lol at it.

However, it still all depends on what you are actually fighting.
    Courageous is great for obviously armor/physical fights. To maximize hate, you want all your gear to have Hate Increase Rating.

There is no Prot fight in this game that is not tankable with T3 gear.
    I prefer to rotate aggro anyway, not be a aggro whore, but always keep it off DPS.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Halfdead you obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Lol at thinking FS set is about aggro whoring...

Good job on maximizing your hate by 1% with CS over loads of crit rating and crit damage rating while having the same mitigation with FS.

For Dragon Tears 1-3, I'd get Fearless main pieces. Tears 4-6 get the Courageous main pieces. You will mix and match the minor pieces for maximum effect as some courageous items are actually better than their Fearless and Indomitable counterparts (wrists and shoulders, I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    For Dragon Tears 1-3, I'd get Fearless main pieces. Tears 4-6 get the Courageous main pieces. You will mix and match the minor pieces for maximum effect as some courageous items are actually better than their Fearless and Indomitable counterparts (wrists and shoulders, I think).
    I agree, if you want max aggro from small pieces Indomitable boots and belt are the best but kinda squishy.

I have both full CS and FS set on my main guardian. I also feal that my overal aggro is better with FS main pieces (I use CS and IS small pieces for physical fights though). I agree with Redd. The gain of crit and crit dmg rating of FS main pieces outweighs the loss of a few hate increase points of CS.
    Defon (Guard)
    Nejoo (Guard) Areana (DT) Willamus (Conq)
    Ichkruchka (Demo) Defina (Necro) Defhid (HoX)
    Sagittaa (Ranger) Phaictan (Sin) Alunn (Barb)
    Defure (BS) Deforia (PoM) Nutiaret (ToS)

Full Courageous:
    8862 Armor
    2096 Critigation Amount
    57.83 DPS
    +6816 Health
    +3092 Stamina
    +334 Hit Rating
    +200 Hate Increase Rating
    +119 Critical Damage Rating

Fearless mainpieces, courageous small pieces:
    8834 Armor
    1987 Critigation Amount
    57.83 DPS
    +5800 Health
    +2838 Stamina
    +320 Hit Rating
    +175 Critical Rating
    +166 Hate Increase Rating
    +264 Critical Damage Rating
    +378 Protection

Difference, leaving out regens, and the stuff that is the same:
    -109 critigation = 3.2% critigation amount, neglectable, thats like 50 hp in T4, considering it only counts for the crit part.
    -1016 health = It's a trade, but in T4 it means like halve a hit, so not that big of a change.
    -254 stamina = ever ran out of stamina in s&b?
    -14 hitrating = neglectable, thats 0.5%, considering you have more then enough when in full T4.
    + 175 Crit rating = 4.8% crit gained
    - 34 hate inc = 1% loss
    + 145 crit damage = 4% gained

All in all, I don't see why anyone would go for the courageous big pieces. If you want that extra 1% hate, grind until you drop and get the unchained neck with hate. That 1k hp is not gonna matter when you can't hold aggro.

The crit and crit damage gained is so big that it makes up for all the other losses.

What I'm more curious about is the what shield people prefer, the DT shield or the guard shield? I myself never had the luxury of getting the guard shield, but I do have the dt shield. Guess due to diminishing returns, the armor gained doesn't make that much of a difference.

So it's 62 crit + 210 combat rating vs 41 hate which is like 1.7% crit vs 1.2% hate, guess that's pretty equal right?
    Last edited by Blackfir; 15th January 2014 at 17:50.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast