Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War...

Default War...

You know, what I'd love to see is a real, honest to goodness war somewhere in Hyboria. And I mean with armies beating the living crap outta each other.

This has been done before. City of Heroes did it when the 5th Column (Neo Nazi Criminals) were taken over by the Council (Fascist Criminals). It was fantastic, and anyone could get involved in the action. There were whole companies of soldiers in the streets in at least two zones blowing each other up.

Later, when City of Villains came out and we had two different factions, there were battles like this in different cross-over zones. The forces would gather, then go into battle.

When you have a game like AoC, it's tailor made for such combat.

Especially if you could become Vanir, Nemidian or whatever, and pick a side. It would make for great incidental PvP as well.

You don't even have to implement new nations as player characters. All you'd need is the introduction of factions that you could align yourself with (think about the conflict in the Commons, where you have the Crows vs Warf Rats) and basically the possibility of becoming a mercenary, and you'd be halfway there. After that, you introduce things in the open world to fight for and over that also doesn't end up concentrating players in a handful of megaguilds, and you've come a long way.

You would also need to look at class-balancing and hopefully a complete disconnect between PvP and PvE in terms of gear and Specs/feats/AA's so that the one side doesn't affect the other. I'm pretty sure other and far more knowledgeable people could write tomes about THAT particular subject, so I'll leave that to them.
    Battleaxe Brain Surgeons Rides Again!

Wharrgharbl (80 Axemurdering maniac Barb)
    Ikoim (80 Conq)
    Hazakahn (80 ToSspot)
    Kegh (80 Beer Shaman)
    Vachir (80 Guardian)
    Mivat (80 Necromancer)
    A horde of other alts...

IN 2012 previous game director pitched the idea of pvp factions.

I guess it died with him leaving. No big loss, he promised a lot of things that didn't really showed up in game.
    Retired

The new GD also said, that they would not spent resources on developing new pvp systems. Even if that is just, what open pvp and 66% of the existing servers need...

And i agree, factions and renown system as in other games (for example fallout2, where you have a global renown and one per faction/town) are not hard to do. The lore gives enough, the gui is capable, the locations are there etc. etc..

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    IN 2012 previous game director pitched the idea of pvp factions.

I guess it died with him leaving. No big loss, he promised a lot of things that didn't really showed up in game.
    The Capital City Battle Keeps held by Alliances was the thing that while sounding great, at the same time sounded quite ridiculous because they could not even get 48 vs. 48 right. This was Gaute.

Also, the mercenary system never worked the way they pitched it and the murderer system is nothing more than a debuff not to use coaches or buy/sell equipment.

The game is so full of half ideas...
    Doomsayer 2008

ahhh yes, guild alliances

but lets not look backwards, lets look forward to new stuff, whatever it will be.
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Bukkithedd View Post
    You don't even have to implement new nations as player characters. All you'd need is the introduction of factions that you could align yourself with (think about the conflict in the Commons, where you have the Crows vs Warf Rats)
    I've been saying for years that funcom aught to make them real factions with faction gear and everything. Crows. Warf Rats. Daughters. All three could be given unique Khitai quality gear, MoA, all the same as those factions. Put in "unchained" versions of the Crows Nest (very easy dungeon) and Iron Tower should have a true hard mode reward. Even re-do Atilus' Mansion for the solo grind for Rares like Dead Mans Hand or Isle of Iron Statues.

I agree, this game needs some kind of all out warfare between neighboring countries/city states. It would give the PvP crowd something to fight over other than minis and be truer to the IP of Hiboria. Conan himself rose up from a street thief to mercenary to battle commander to king. I propose, create and environment that players can do the same.

I posted this in the suggestion thread a few months ago.

Usurp a City!!
    [PvP][PvE][Guild]
    New content: create a new city the size of one of the hub cities. Make it another country/culture. Player guilds can capture this city and need to control certain points to maintain control. The NPC that normally controls it will try and retake it randomly. Other player guilds can band together to try and take the city. Siege weapons such as battering rams and boiling oil are used.

This is a full time 24/7 365 PvP zone. It should be hard to maintain control. (This is what you get full T4 gear for...) When your guild/alliance controls a city, your guild leader becomes King of that city. (Till some one takes it from him, that is.)

You could create many of these cities with different cultures and perks for holding. (guild wide buffs, crafting, summon world boss!) You will need to upgrade your Guild system so we can have actual Alliances (in game lists, alliance chat, ect).

How many countries can your mega-guild control at once??
    Today, Nemidia, tomorrow, the world!!

What do you think?

Default Or does it?

War never changes...

Quote Originally Posted by CueQue View Post
    War never changes...
    was my first thought when entering this topic..
    aka Morte.. Morce.. Morte.. Morce again.. bah, whatever..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast