Thread: The Secret World

Default The Secret World

Any AoC players play this?

Recently got it for Christmas. Downloaded it and I've been strolling around Kingsmouth. I'm at the airport right now.

The storyline & quests are certainly interesting - esp the investigative missions like "Kingsmouth Code".

My only complaint & possibly a deal-breaker that will prevent me from playing long-term is the combat system. Going from AoC's combat system to that is just.. meh. I'll probably stick around just to finish the storyline.
    Last edited by --Walt--; 25th December 2013 at 21:13.

Quite a few are playing or were at least.

Combat does get better as you progress, quests and especially dungeons are pure FunCom genius.

Well worth a play even if end game is not nearly AoC level. Might need unfair.co walkthroughs, well .. will unless you happen to be a member of Mensa.

I've been playing TSW since the beginning, but as you've noticed the combat system and the character designs are nowhere near what AoC has to offer.

Endgame is of course very cheap compared to AoC and PvP is retarded.

So playing TSW only is kinda meh frankly, it deserves to be played for the quests and the main story line, which are unparalleled i believe, miles above pretty much any other game out there.
    Quests and world design are just brilliant, that's it.

I for one play TSW on the side, to follow the main story line and to do the new quests, but AoC remains my main game.

So that would be my advise, play TSW from time to time to enjoy the good part of it, but don't try to play it 24/7 because you'll burn the content very very fast and end up quite frustrated.
    TSW offers very high quality content, but it's still too young to offer it in huge quantity like its older brother AoC does.

I consider TSW my main mmo (though I exhausted available content by Christmas last year and haven't played very much since - gonna return when Tokyo comes out), and it was my experiences in TSW that gave me the faith in Funcom to give AoC a go.

The main weaknesses of the game, which is weird since it has the same engine and people working on it as AoC, is combat, character animations and models. Simply put, character creation is pretty modest and you can't adjust body type like in AoC. You typically use 1-2 "builders" and 2 "finishers" as your attacks, which normally have the same animations (and lots of different builders have similar animations) - in addition to maybe some cooldown attacks in PvP and powerful, short buffs in PvE, which seems pretty repetitive compared to aoc's 5 attack directions and multiple combos.

It's honestly been critized too heavily for this though; while animations are repetitive, they're not horrible, and the combat isn't worse than say Rift, WoW or SWTOR. Might be a bit boring after aoc and certain eastern mmmos though. On the other hand, the class/talent/specialization system is awesome.

Still, the game is gorgeous; environments are great, and while it isn't a huge improvement compared to AoC, there are far fewer older, pixelated textures etc hanging around.

The crown jewels of the game, imo, are the quests (best in any mmo by miles), setting (very unique and cool) and PvE content (I haven't done very much PvE in AoC yet, but so far I can say that the TSW raid was far better than t1/w1 AoC, and that Khitai HMs remind me of TSW dungeon nightmares, though TSW dungeons were far longer, with 6 bosses though barely any trash).

Heavily recommend the game.

Can only agree with what others have already said here.

The single-player quests while levelling are the best I have ever seen in any MMO.

The lore is excellent.

The engine is what I wish Age of Conan was on instead of the older non-DX11 Dreamworld we have currently.

The combat system is basic, especially coming from Age of Conan.

The character builds are pretty extensive, and the idea of being able to switch what class you want to be on the fly (via gear switch and ability switch) is nice.

Well worth playing.
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

My only complaints about that game are that character models are absolutely horrible. Did they port them from Anarchy Online? Game released in 2012 and skeleton models looks like from first 3D MMORPGs lol. Funcom saved money i bet

And that combat, even some Mobile MMORPG games have more interesting/Complex combat system than this. Again Funcom has saved money

Other wise its nice game, but sadly it does not hook you long cause of combat

I played the game when it came out and I did like it a lot at the beginning, I almost buy the lifetime subscription for 200$ thx god I never did, I did like a lot the game environments, the quests, story lines and the few first places or maps, but after I played for a couple months I got tired and sick of the same and because of the mediocre and garbage pvp and combat system in TSW (pvp is the most important thing to me in a game) same as the simple and limited garbage ui, make me stopped play the game after like 2 months, since I stopped I never got back and I'm 100% sure I will never go back.

aoc got million times more potential and is a million time better game than TSW with a incredible and fun best combat system ever created in the world, sad that went first to the wrong hands of Craig Morrison a WOW lover pvp hater game director that destroyed the game and now funcom doesn't have the money and doesn't know what to do with it.

I bought my 3rd copy of TSW yesterday during the sale, it'll make a great gift in the future. Other than that, I'm still loving TSW. Great atmosphere, great questing. Combat isn't revolutionary, but works for me. Awesome skill and ability systems!

out of sheer boredom and a reduced price on Steam, i got TSW and downloaded it and played it for a bit. i did not like it. i ran into a couple of ex guildies from AOC on there and they helped a lot but our schedules didn't sync up and the more i leveled up, the more i realized i didn't like it.

uninstalled it and don't think i'll be playing it any time soon heh
    “Lo, there do I see my father.
    Lo, there do I see my mother,
    and my sisters, and my brothers.
    Lo, there do I see the line of my people,
    Back to the beginning!

Lo, they do call to me.
    They bid me take my place among them,
    In the halls of Valhalla!
    Where the brave may live forever!”

Det som engang var.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    it deserves to be played for the quests and the main story line, which are unparalleled i believe, miles above pretty much any other game out there.
    Quests and world design are just brilliant, that's it.
    Totally agree,one of the best mmorpg out now. You can say that the combat is not good, and it's true, but the game is brilliant. I enjoyed it more than Guild Wars 2, which has a very good combat but a poor story and it ends up with players walking around like drugged ants try to complete all the achievements (Impossible Mission!) and nothing more.
    The lore of TSW is totally immersive, and even if it has a lot of technical things that should be implemented, you will remember this game as one of the funniest ever.