Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should we get stat CAPS?

Default Should we get stat CAPS?

I think we can all agree that currently AOC has problems with stats where everyone just wants DPS DPS DPS and CRIT CRIT CRIT. This is why everyone picks pressing/decesive strikes and want max damage and crit. With DT is this even more painfuly evident as the whole class is based around crits and VOM (I am not talking about tanking).

So the question is: should different classes/archetypes get stats CAP so no matter how much, for example, combat rating will someone add with armor piece it won't go over the capped which will be set at certain amount (max amount).

This would encourage people playing with different armor set ups: if you have max DPS possible then what armor pieces you could change to keep said MAX dps, but also raise HP and protection.

Or as assassin you can have MAX dps, but you can also further your damage by looking for a way to rise offhand while keeping same DPS from combat rating.

This also fixes issues with tank classes doing ungodly amount of DPS with T4 weapons.

Finally, it would make new crafting actually useful with trying to come up with an item that will work well with given CAPs (for example trying to get a slightly lower combat rating on a ring but also a HP boost).

Right now I am really afraid that new crafting will be turned into "who can make item with biggest DPS/crit"

Also without stat caps next tier of gear (T5, if it comes at all) will be so insanely good that 80lvl character wearing it.

We might not agree on solution but can we at least agree there is an gear issue in AOC?
    Retired

Was this intended to be in the PVP section? Introducing stat caps now at this point in the game is pretty ludicrous for the PVE environment. If any of the stat caps were below what is now attainable now people will throw a fit when all a sudden they can't beat that enrage timer or solo tank that boss. Funcom should just artificially stat cap by having T5 gear have relatively similar dps/crit/critdmg as T5 but with more hit, +/- hate, armor, prot, con, etc.
    Baneric / Munok / Johnkruk / Tomjones / Elgranorgo

US first kills - Arch Lector Zaal, Bat of Nerd Rage, Emperor, Cloud, and Entity.

Absolutely not. Numbers must go up. If I am to pay for another 1 year sub I must know that I am going to have significantly better gear than I have now (T4). And FC needs to expand AAs too. I have hundreds/thousands mastery points to spend on several characters and mostly full prowess side from time training/expertise. The only problem in AoC is lack of higher tier raids/new gear. Once you have several fully T4 geared characters with max AA there is nothing to do in this game, this is why people are leaving.

Not, if you link it to archetypes. THere is enough control obsession going on already, while the game system as such gets dumbed down and nerfed along the way. I am not denying the problem, but it will reduce players choices even more.

In other game systems you have stats that limit linear power progression, like encumbrance, penalties for offclass skills etc..
    Also with the current design approach to pve tiers, it seems unlikely they understand caps or could implement them in a working way.

Unless they add working item budgets (and maybe CAP there depending on item type) and disconnect the pvp progression from pve, it will not do much good, imo. If you link it only to class or archetype, you will just add more inbalance. Why should a soldier be penalized, if he actually decides to wear cloth armor for the hitcrit values?

What they could do (even combined with the crafting revamp) is, to introduce such things linked to gear budgets. Many things will autobalance, if they have a budget AND give hitcrit stats the right values compared to others.

For example, if you organize budgets into tiers, you can easily add differences to the gear and caps according to type. A full plate for example could be capped with hit rating and movement, a dagger capped with dps, but open to hitcrit ratings, swords could be a good mix, axes have more critdamage but less hitrating etc. etc..

In crafting you could balance it with enchantment points. 100 points spent on different item points could result in different outcomes. If i want a full plate with +evasion, why not? i would just need more power in enchantment points for the same value compared to leather armor for example. If i want a light hammer with lots of hit rating...sure, but at more cost than giving the same amount to a dagger or sword.

For Melee
    Base Stat
    Armor
    Combat Rating
    Crit
    Health Tap
    Hit

For Casters
    Base Stat
    Armor
    Magic Damage
    Crit
    Health Tap
    Hit

As a solo player these r the stats i would want on weapons

the problem with gear is in pvp !!!pve had allready to much guifts from this game-we pay too reall money and is enouphe for 2 years i think to pay for pve players!!!
    have fun witht4 and then come minis and pretend the pvpers with the huge gap betwin t4 and pvp equips!
    i pay and i will continue pay for this game cause i like it but to see pve players asc for more and more all the time is little annoying!little not much.
    so first give proper pvp gear now or bring the unchained minis other wise make aoc a pure pve game with no pvp so we know as pvpers what to do no need the redikilus pvp gear and espesially weapons at all.!
    im no fool guys from funcom i just like your game years now and i will continue support this game cause i had great time but dont think that im fool cause im a pvp player and adicted, is no true -i give you money and support you cause of the fun you give me years ago!
    but login and see no pvp or people leave minis cause oh healers demos need t15 dps or t4 players have fun to the back of pvp players cause of the advantage of the pve equip is no fun anymore!
    so first think now is pvp pve can wait for their stats unless you crerate your game only pve!but speak to the players the truth!!
    you have make healer class the class who decied wich team win the mini that is no accetable from pvp players!!
    chess is famous cause givesame power from the start to both players if you want to give the reall value to aoc put your mind to this direction!!

There were such stat caps in a game i have played for a long time, DAOC, and it was indeed making it very interesting to play with gear to try to increase other stats while having maxed your couple of primary stats. That made craft also more interesting because it would still be necessary to use a few crafted pieces that were customized to fill the holes.

I also have the same questions about what it will be with the craft revamp, though not only focusing on dps dps dps crit crit crit.
    For instance if you can manage to slot 60 fatality rating on each 14 pieces of gear, that will sum up to +23% fatality (though i would certainly enjoy having a flat 60% fatality chance on my sin .
    If you can manage 100 dext + 40 evade rating on each 14 pieces, what absurd chance of evade will you get with 1260 evade rating while not completely dumping your dps (again i took an example for assassin)? and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    This also fixes issues with tank classes doing ungodly amount of DPS with T4 weapons.
    T4 is open to everyone, anyone is welcome to get their own weapons and join the ungodly club.

Slith you really should stop speaking with the com about such ideas. Most are to bad to even understand your valid arguments or to follow your ideas. so it will be a waste of your time.

of course crit should be capped differently for archetypes. conqs and dts are op because they can boost their crit to high levels then any DD. at least conq can. Dt would be although much more balanced, if wisdom would be capped for soldier archetype.

but dont assume ppl will understand that the mess with balance is a consequences of fail stat system too.

its like talking to them about pvp and why it is so bad. they wont get it, that the main failure to the pvp system is, that funcom expected ppl to play together. 10 minis today and i havent seen a singel healer healing ppl if they didnt need heal themselfs or anyone helping out others with a cc but then crying, that the mini is already lost. The main reason in this game why pvp sucks hard besides the semioptimal classbalance is the fact, that at least 2 ppl per mingame in your team are just egomanic ***** (censored) which just care about their kd and themselfs.

this affects discussion like this too. dont expect such guys to accept such changes to the system as long as their favourite class will be affected by it.
    Last edited by Zatochi; 13th December 2013 at 15:31.

What Gevlya mentioned is different from what Slith said though. Depends on "where" you put the cap. if you add them like gevlya said, you still have more player choices and options compared to when you add them after the gear calculations or buffs.

Capping with archetype is by far not the best solution (unlike above poster thinks) even to the mentioned problem.

Another thought should be also, to give base stats some meaning again, since they kind of offer already some class focus or different starter values, if you make secondary stats dependand again on them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast