Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dexterity based sword working as intended ?

Default Dexterity based sword working as intended ?

3mn parsing, up/down white hits & deft stab 3 combo (strengh sword):
    http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5091/9cn7.jpg

Same conditions with the T4 dexterity sword :
    http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8243/jn4d.jpg

If you consider than I have almost 10 times more dexterity than strengh, I'm confused that dext sword only gives me 27.2% more damage output than this strengh sword & my 180 strengh.
    And the fact that I had lots more of critical hits with dext sword makes the result more dissapointing when I compare the two.

Any number lover can analysis this and tell me what they think or maybe suggest something ?
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

i think it's partially because you have a lot of combat rating given by armor. if you check your DPS stat, it passes from 246.6 (with str. sword) to 365.0 (with t4 dex. sword), so that's a 48% improvement...
    of course it's still a lot more than the real improvement on the parse, but i guess it's because ranger combos scales very poorly with gear...

so, yea... i agree that it's disappointing, but not surprising, since it's just the same with ranged combos...
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

How does it work this sword ?

I parsed a few times on strawman with my conq the ranger sword and the barb Vermillion Cleave (the one that drops on cloud). Both swords are rather similar stat wise but the ranger sword is supposed to scale on dex while the other with strength. My conq had a little under 1K strength and 100 dex (200 with the sword equiped).

How i understood it:
    -With barb sword, damage counts the combat rating addition from strength. (So roughly 3.000 combat rating)
    -While with the ranger sword, forget about the combat rating from strength and only count the one given by the dex i have (200 on conq)

Parsed with:
    Barb sword: 1602.83 dps on a 3"06 min parse
    Ranger sword: 1494.07 dps on a 3"09 min parse

I'm suprised that the dps diffrence is so minor considering what i thought i understood of the swords description: "Your Dexterity instead of your Strength contributes to this weapon's damage."

I parsed three times each total and the widest gap i get is 180 less dps with ranger sword and 60 dps diffrence being the narrowest gap.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

The difference in combat rating would be around 2k4 then, which amounts theoretically to roughly 65dps.

Combat rating bonuses are, I believe, not multiplied by weapon damage buffs so the only thing that would modify that dps difference would be crits and armor debuffs.

So in the end indeed with 1k STR and 200 DEX I wouldn't expect more than 100 dps difference.

Since base weapon damage accounts for a much bigger chunk of your dps (esp. with weapon damage buffs) than combat rating, whether that combat rating comes from STR or DEX is not that important after all (it has an impact but it won't suddenly double your dps)
    Last edited by Ieronon; 13th December 2013 at 11:24.
    -- Ieronon, QQror --
    -- Deutter, holy potato --

Good news for me then i'll use a better looking sword in PvP ^^
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Well. I'm gonna spend DKPs on strengh swords then, at least I'll get armor for it. Ranger dps with sword would still be disappointing anyway. QQ
    Last edited by Religolibri; 13th December 2013 at 17:52.
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

Take the DT sword, maybe the advantage scale with the magic damage ^^
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Ieronon beat me to it^^

It's normal since strength or dexterity gives combat rating which doesn't scale with anything and has a minimal impact overall. It's not like magic damage for casters, combat rating is a crap stat.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

So why does every barb, conq, etc. pass on it ?! It's still a good upgrade over pvp weapons
    Last edited by Vehl; 14th December 2013 at 12:48.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

I can't speak for them but I did try to grab it for my Guard :P
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast