Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the tech guru's on pc build

Default Question for the tech guru's on pc build

Mods I posted here as I thought its not really a tech problem as than an advise question, didn't want it to get lost in wall of text.

howdy gang I want to build my own uber machine this coming year to last at least 3 yrs if possible, price is not an issue as I've taking up weekend work to pay for it, i'll by part every week or 2nd week till I have it all.
    The things i'm not sure on are as follows

best full tower case to get
    cpu- intel or amd
    mobo
    NVidia or raedeon
    ram brand
    x fire or sli
    liquid cooling or not
    HD ?

thanks in advance
    shaggy
    Last edited by ShaggyMac; 7th December 2013 at 23:59. Reason: added hd
    CROM-Shaggaliscus- lvl 80 brute conq- born may 2009, Shaggybear- lvl 80 BS, Shaghldr- lvl 80 barb, Shaggphyre- lvl80 dt, Shaggavasha- lvl 80 necro, Shaggypyro- lvl 80 demo, Shaggadelic- lvl 80 tos, Shagconian- lvl 80 guard, Shaggablehox- lvl 80 hox, Shaggyshaft- lvl 80 ranger, Sinfulshagga- lvl 75 sin, Shagga- lvl 6 pom

FURY- Shagginator- lvl 10 zerka barb

http://bloodnashes.guildlaunch.com/

You did not mention HD, but just in case... you want AOC on a solid state. AMD releases their new R9 GPU series next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyMac View Post
    Mods I posted here as I thought its not really a tech problem as than an advise question, didn't want it to get lost in wall of text.

howdy gang I want to build my own uber machine this coming year to last at least 3 yrs if possible, price is not an issue as I've taking up weekend work to pay for it, i'll by part every week or 2nd week till I have it all.
    The things i'm not sure on are as follows

cpu- intel or amd
    mobo
    NVidia or raedeon
    ram brand
    x fire or sli
    liquid cooling or not
    HD ?

thanks in advance
    shaggy
    Price isn't an option? I could build you a $16,000 dollar tower, no joke. I'll list a more reasonable high end tower though. I build computers everyday, from basics to high end gaming. Ive learned my lesson using certain brands, these here were proven to me to work.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Intel i7 4930k 6 core cpu
    ASUS X79 DELUXE LGA 2011
    Nvidia. 600 series cards are great, I am currently using a 760. Top end is Titan.
    RAM Brand is not a big deal. I'd pick Corsair though and at least 16 GB. Fancy heat spreaders mean nothing.

SLI is not needed with this game, in fact, its buggy.

Liquid Cooling for CPU only. Intel BXTS13X. Used over 10 of them, they're very quiet, and easy to install.

Some kind of SSD, Intel has been the best to me and extra Western Digital 1 TB drive for storage if needed.

Don't forget a quality power supply, at least 750W. Corsair is nearly the only good brand anymore.

You're looking to spend at least 2000 for high end, and not be skipping.

If you really want, I'll list that super machine. Lol
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

cpu- intel or amd
    mobo
    NVidia or raedeon
    ram brand
    x fire or sli
    liquid cooling or not
    HD ?
    case, something that can fit in large long graphic card and has enough room for other stuff. also good ventilation is nice to have.
    cpu, intel ofc. always intel. i5 or i7.
    mobo, don't buy cheap, don't buy one that is for overclockers, buy something in between with good components and that fits your use
    nvidia or amd.. tough one, choice is not so clear as with cpu's. both brands are good these days, good cards.
    no need for xfire or sli, with aoc at least

liquid cooling, not needed unless noise from fans is something you cannot stand. though you won't hear the fans while you play because of the music you listen or because you wear a headset. but if you want to overclock the cpu, you might want to get a better fan/heatspreader for it

and most importantly, buy an SSD drive on which you install windows and aoc and whatever programs you might use. at least 120gig one. then normal HDD for storage and other use. they quite cheap now so get a big one

at least 8gig of ram

power source, i guess at least 750W maybe a 1000W in case you want to upgrade gpu or get another one. buy a quality product.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil77 View Post
    nvidia or amd.. tough one, choice is not so clear as with cpu's. both brands are good these days, good cards.
    no need for xfire or sli, with aoc at least
    Good advice in this post. I just want to add a comment: there's really no need for SLI or crossfire on any game with the current cards from nVidia and AMD (GTX 7xx and R9 series) unless you're running some absurd resolution like "4k" (2160p) or have the game spanning multiple monitors. The latest cards from both companies are great and you can't really go wrong either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    Price isn't an option? I could build you a $16,000 dollar tower, no joke. I'll list a more reasonable high end tower though. I build computers everyday, from basics to high end gaming. Ive learned my lesson using certain brands, these here were proven to me to work.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Intel i7 4930k 6 core cpu
    ASUS X79 DELUXE LGA 2011
    Nvidia. 600 series cards are great, I am currently using a 760. Top end is Titan.
    RAM Brand is not a big deal. I'd pick Corsair though and at least 16 GB. Fancy heat spreaders mean nothing.

SLI is not needed with this game, in fact, its buggy.

Liquid Cooling for CPU only. Intel BXTS13X. Used over 10 of them, they're very quiet, and easy to install.

Some kind of SSD, Intel has been the best to me and extra Western Digital 1 TB drive for storage if needed.

Don't forget a quality power supply, at least 750W. Corsair is nearly the only good brand anymore.

You're looking to spend at least 2000 for high end, and not be skipping.

If you really want, I'll list that super machine. Lol
    Top end is not Titan. GTX 780 TI GHZ or EVGA Kingpin card is.

Quote Originally Posted by Legionx View Post
    Top end is not Titan. GTX 780 TI GHZ or EVGA Kingpin card is.
    Sure. Lol. Kingpin card is easily buyable.

780 is a nice card, if you didn't want to drop a grand on a Titan.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

PSU's: Slightly outdated list showing how companies simply rebrand their PSU's. It's not the comprehensive one I based my research on back in 2011. I've not replaced a PSU since. It might have been on Tom's Hardware.

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?p=511952

Anyway, Seasonic was usually a very safe bet and FSP was pretty good as well. Just spend a few extra pennies on a higher efficiency model (gold/plat). This will save you those pennies because of the more efficient power conversion from mains to PC. Price of power only ever goes up.... Moving on, dont just go and buy a 1KW PSU. If your total watt usage is going to be around 500 watts, buy a 750. You want to hang around the power efficiency sweet spot of around 60-70% power usage. This isn't even a rule of thumb, but usually at this point the power supply is at max efficiency, not spinning up fans, or running them at low settings (heat wastage from the conversion).

Sound: Don't forget this! It's AoC. It deserves a decent card. Creative's XFi or Asus Xonar will be more than sufficient for your general consumer devices, however. I personally could use some input on a good-qual. speaker set up (and no, not Loogitech or UnCreative)

CPU: Intel for sure these days. AMD make a better all-round all-in-one (simply because they have a far better GFX accelator), but this isn't your market. Intel's CPU's do more crunching with less power and CPU cycles. More savings in power, and better performance when it's needed. Games barely touch the higher end i5/i7's anyway. Intel's also trounce AMD when it comes to video conversion. i5 or i7. It wont matter much (rumours say i7's are just a load of clappers for the price, anyway)

VGA: Typically, the GeForce x60 range (460, 660, 760 for eg) worked brilliantly for your dollar with AoC. nVidia also have a nice game auto-setting profile tool out now, too. The 460 can run AoC in DX10 with max settings. you do the maths. I'm partial to AMD, but their Rx's seem to have some driver issues currently, but these should be ironed out by the time you get cashed up.

Motherboard: SuperMicro if you want it to last, and last, and last! Otherwise, do your research here. Overclocker sites (particularly Australian ones) have good info, here. You have time on your side, and there's lots of interesting stuff going on in those.

Case and cooling; Quite simply, just make sure you dont have hot spots (CPU, VGA, HDD). Have your 120 millimetre fans sitting in front of your VGA so it can recieve more air flow. I've use $10 PoS cases before just to show off cases don't mean squat if you know how to drive that air (and have a proper PSU, not the one that comes with it)

HDD: Intel and Samsung SSD's at this stage (beware the Samsung 830, however. 840's are fine). Minimum 200GB (you're gonna play other games.....). A 3TB storage drive is the good price point at this stage. And they're still damn fast, anyway. I tend for the Eco-drives, though. 5400RPM. Longer lifespan and less heat from power.

Anyway, that's a little bit of my input. I'll probably need to update myself soon enough as well as I am looking around too. Hopefully I haven't scared you off =)

thanks very much guys that is some great info I appreciate the time you've taken for me, so if x fire and sli are obsolete for this game that means I only need to buy 1 vid card or do still need 2 vid cards

[QUOTE=Halfdead;2078467]Price isn't an option? I could build you a $16,000 dollar tower, no joke.

holy crap halfdead i'm still trying to pick my self up of the floor lol are you fair dinkum 16 grand for a gaming machine, sounds like it could launch satellites, the wife would have my nuts if I did something like that lmao

cheers again guys i'll start browsing the online aussie markets
    CROM-Shaggaliscus- lvl 80 brute conq- born may 2009, Shaggybear- lvl 80 BS, Shaghldr- lvl 80 barb, Shaggphyre- lvl80 dt, Shaggavasha- lvl 80 necro, Shaggypyro- lvl 80 demo, Shaggadelic- lvl 80 tos, Shagconian- lvl 80 guard, Shaggablehox- lvl 80 hox, Shaggyshaft- lvl 80 ranger, Sinfulshagga- lvl 75 sin, Shagga- lvl 6 pom

FURY- Shagginator- lvl 10 zerka barb

http://bloodnashes.guildlaunch.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    Price isn't an option? I could build you a $16,000 dollar tower, no joke.

holy crap halfdead i'm still trying to pick my self up of the floor lol are you fair dinkum 16 grand for a gaming machine, sounds like it could launch satellites, the wife would have my nuts if I did something like that lmao
    water/nitrogen cooling, extreme series CPU, quad-SLI ($1k per card = $4k just on them alone), SSD RAID, 64-128GB RAM, 3x 30inch monitors for 4K ... you can get there pretty damn fast

here's one from last year:

http://apcmag.com/the-most-extreme-p...uild-today.htm
    Last edited by Petridish; 9th December 2013 at 08:03.
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast