Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC shuts down randomly while in game

Default PC shuts down randomly while in game

i recently upgraded everything in my computer except for the SSD that i use, and after getting windows, all the drivers, ventrilo, and AOC installed, i loaded the game and adjusted the settings to get framerates of between 40-60. the game ran great until it shut my computer down with no warning or message. it didn't do this outside of the game, and the system reqs are all fine.

specs:
    intel corei3-4130 @3.4GHz CPU
    8GB (4x2) kingston hyperX @1333 MHz RAM
    radeon HD4650 GPU
    corsair 430w PSU
    samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD

Can that power supply even run that machine? 430w is nothing, I think the standard HP/whatever factory off the shelves of Wally world or whatever has the same power supply.

-just my observation...

Could be a bad video card, when I got my 780GtX I went through about 4 of them before I got a good one, windows would run fine but once I loaded a game it shutdown or blue screen, with no fixing insight except for exchanging from New*gg . I thought it was my machine because after the 2nd replacement and still doing the same; shutdown/blue screen, I gave it another chance and thankfully the product was discontinued so I got another manufacturer to give me a 780gtx and been working ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Can that power supply even run that machine? 430w is nothing, I think the standard HP/whatever factory off the shelves of Wally world or whatever has the same power supply.

-just my observation...

Could be a bad video card, when I got my 780GtX I went through about 4 of them before I got a good one, windows would run fine but once I loaded a game it shutdown or blue screen, with no fixing insight except for exchanging from New*gg . I thought it was my machine because after the 2nd replacement and still doing the same; shutdown/blue screen, I gave it another chance and thankfully the product was discontinued so I got another manufacturer to give me a 780gtx and been working ever since.
    the PSU only has to meet the 100% load of all parts at most right? i calculated it to be 234 with everything at full load, so i don't see why that would be too much.

i'm thinking it's the card, like you suggested. AMD doesn't support the 4xxx series anymore and the drivers are probably causing issues. if not the card itself.

random shutdowns can also be caused by overheating, modern pcs just shut down to prevent hardware dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Mantic0r3 View Post
    random shutdowns can also be caused by overheating, modern pcs just shut down to prevent hardware dmg
    good point, i'll get a temp widget when i get home from work and see if that's the case

Your psu is sufficient, assuming it works properly. Sounds like overheating possibly so yeah start by checking temps with hwmonitor and things like that.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    Your psu is sufficient, assuming it works properly. Sounds like overheating possibly so yeah start by checking temps with hwmonitor and things like that.
    the weird thing is that there's a lot of room in my case, and i couldn't see overheating being a huge issue if the GPU fan doesn't kick in until the game runs for a while

A simple thing like a heatsink not properly positioned over the CPU can cause your issue.

I'm not talking about something visible with the naked eye, if the heatsink is just half a millimeter off it can be enough for the CPU to overheat and force a shutdown.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    A simple thing like a heatsink not properly positioned over the CPU can cause your issue.

I'm not talking about something visible with the naked eye, if the heatsink is just half a millimeter off it can be enough for the CPU to overheat and force a shutdown.
    Indeed, or that if poor heat paste has been used, or none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    Indeed, or that if poor heat paste has been used, or none at all.
    well, since i'm only using an i3, i'm using the stock heatsink for right now, if that's not good enough i can for sure get another. about to run tests on temps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast