Thread: Using directional shields

Default Using directional shields

Hello,

I am looking for tips regarding how to use efficiently the directional shields, not those of the opponent to bypass armor, which is pretty straightforward, but those of my characters, to improve mitigation.

As i understand the principle, shields act as a modifier to physical damage intake, roughly
    - 1 shield => no modifier
    - 2 shields => x0.66 modifier
    - 3 shields => x0.33 modifier

Just looking at the figures, it strikes me that the self directional shields are highly effective to mitigate damage in the case they are positionned properly.

I also understand that to position them, you have to be using CTRL to highlight the shields, then CTRL + number of position of origin of the shield to move, then CTRL + number of position of destination. For example, to move upper shield to left position, it will be CTRL + 2 (select upper shield), then CTRL + 1 (position it to left).

Now is there a way to know on which side is landing an attack, to adjust the self-shields dynamically ?
    For PVP i can imagine easily that knowing the opponent and his combos helps to position shields for the duration of the fight.
    For PVE i also heard of some mobs that hit solely in one direction allowing to set all shields in one direction for the duration of the fight.

But both these examples are nothing close to dynamically adjusting shields during the fight. Is it possible at all ? Has anybody experience with trying this and how effective is it ?

You should rebind directional shield buttons. I'd suggest the arrows.

The guys you're fighting is able to see your shields in pvp so they'll hit you on unshielded side. Casters ignore them and all those procs or bleeds from dt and conq will also ignore them. Sure, you can try to adjust your shields by hand as you fight but with all the movement that happens in pvp, I doubt you'll have much time or attention to spare for it. But maybe you can do it, it could be worth a try.

In PvE it's just not worth the effort. Magic ignores them as usual and unless you're the tank bosses won't even hit you. And if you are the tank, you're busy enough with your combos and agro. Still, it's always possible to try to adjust your shields by hand and boss abilities always hit the same side and you can learn them by watching animations and your flashing shields (crab monsters in Ardashir always hit your left with Wracking Swipe, Heiromonk's Burning Sweep always hits from above, etc). But unless it's Cavern of Malice, all melee bosses hit from all sides and normal directional attacks are just too fast to react with manual adjustment.

Any attack from a boss that's dangerous even for a tank to eat is escapable (Frost Whip, Haymaker, Fatal Strike, Thundering Slam, Punishing Throw) and any other attacks are just ignorable for them (Wing Tornado, Burning Sweep).

In PVP moving shields can only hurt you. Before the revamps the combos were very very veeeeery long (up to 6 steps or more if I recall!) and the mitigation from shields was better. As a result it payed off to predict what combo will be fired off and set up shields for it.

Right now all combos are super short so for example if you set all the shields up to mitigate Assassins Swift Strikes he will just quickly fire of GC and DWW and get even more damage in.

The ONLY time I am using shielding in pvp is when I am rooted and ranger is about to fire something at me. I put all shields up and use active blocking. However it is not even confirmed that ranger hits at any side at all since they don't really have combos...

Active shielding is pretty much a dead feature which is sad.
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    However it is not even confirmed that ranger hits at any side at all since they don't really have combos...
    Most Ranger damage hits the top, debuffs hit your left not that shielding helps against those.

And TTS is a spell so it ignores shielding.

And should be removed. But then, so are Assassin miasmas.
    shoryuken