Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joel Boyles - PVP Unchained Questions

You know hardcore PvPers are still lurking out. PvP unchained is the thing I'm waitin the most and I'm not alone, to make a proper comeback in the game after I played it for 4 years.

AoC still have his unmatched combat system, the only game that would maybe approach it is FF XIV but the GCD is just plain atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Usedtissue View Post
    This game will continue to die until Funcom realizes that there is no point of making a PVE oriented game when the MMO market is absolutely filled with better options.
    I question that statement; as the PvE in Age of Conan is quite well done, and better than most of the other MMOs available, in my humble opinion. A lot of the mechanics are unique. The combo system is unique. Healers helping out with DPS is unique. No, I think a lot of the issues Funcom sees with its investment into PvE is that they focus on content, at the expense of system and engine improvements. There is (still) a relatively high barrier for entry, machine spec wise, to playing Age of Conan. The game isn't as polished as it could be, and this drives a lot of people away (issues patching, issues running the game, crashes, SLI/Crossfire not supported, poor performance due to high CPU requirements of Dreamworld, and so on).

But, that doesn't mean that PvP should be neglected ... on the contrary, it is currently a niche that could be so much more if it was given more resources. I honestly wonder if Funcom are blind to this, or just simply don't believe it. But if you try and think of all the competitive skill based MMO games that there are around, they are few and far between. Surely that's a hint that there's a market to be catered to ...

In the end, I think that, even if Funcom *wanted* to invest more in PvP, they are probably unable/unwilling to. They know that PvE content will make them money. They do not categorically know that investing in PvP will make them any money, regardless of how adamantly the PvP crowd says that it will. It also requires more system/infrastructure work than adding content for PvE, so it is also a resourcing problem where they feel their hands are tied.

But, here's hoping that they do see the value, and do invest in it, and then millions will come back to the game and PvP 24/7 and Joel can swim in the cash he got given as a bonus for bringing Funcom out of the red. Or something.
    Last edited by Petridish; 4th November 2013 at 04:37.
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

Quote Originally Posted by Petridish View Post
    I question that statement; as the PvE in Age of Conan is quite well done, and better than most of the other MMOs available, in my humble opinion. A lot of the mechanics are unique. The combo system is unique. Healers helping out with DPS is unique. No, I think a lot of the issues Funcom sees with its investment into PvE is that they focus on content, at the expense of system and engine improvements. There is (still) a relatively high barrier for entry, machine spec wise, to playing Age of Conan. The game isn't as polished as it could be, and this drives a lot of people away (issues patching, issues running the game, crashes, SLI/Crossfire not supported, poor performance due to high CPU requirements of Dreamworld, and so on).

But, that doesn't mean that PvP should be neglected ... on the contrary, it is currently a niche that could be so much more if it was given more resources. I honestly wonder if Funcom are blind to this, or just simply don't believe it. But if you try and think of all the competitive skill based MMO games that there are around, they are few and far between. Surely that's a hint that there's a market to be catered to ...
    He means the pvp population is dying, of course the pve population is healthy, all they do is release pve content and updates one after another, and you have to pve to get the best items to pvp.

The game has been tailored over the past few years to reward players for grinding, as opposed to when it was released and rewarded players for skill, for the most part.
    Doomsayer 2008

Why you have never told about PVP island of Doom that is showed in the latest "GM island video"
    Last edited by SelfRez; 4th November 2013 at 07:56.

If funcom just simply Divide pve and pvp gear and make PVE gear not applicable in pvp then that would already be a huge relief for many players and pvp vets have a reason to come back.

Next increase the pvp xp gain and prowess gains...

then work on the god damn unchained mini...

Jesus Christ who the hell do funcom hire to plan things for them??

I'm just wondering about the ancient times when pvp required skill... Do you mean the times where we could chain cc ppl, where ppl could get 2 shotted due to low health and when there were no shields of risen? Ye, real skill needed for that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8mDQv11Foc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJLenQn8Hj8

samham, pls pick one which shows more skills, other has good player killing other classes while he plays one of the worst class,..and then other vid is keyboardturner clicker two shotting :P
    The Law

Quote Originally Posted by SamHam View Post
    I'm just wondering about the ancient times when pvp required skill... Do you mean the times where we could chain cc ppl, where ppl could get 2 shotted due to low health and when there were no shields of risen? Ye, real skill needed for that
    You mean the time where 5 SKILLED players could easily take out 15 average players through proper use of chain CC's?

proper use? you mean applying one cc after another because there where absolutely nothing preventing stupid mechanics like this? where the guy with the first cc won? where classes with most cc like demos could easily kill 1-2 ppl just because this class got so much cc?

I am deeply impressed over skill like this...
    Last edited by Zatochi; 4th November 2013 at 11:44.

Tbh, if I want to watch a skilled sin, I type in cozzano, who seems to be doing pretty well for himself, despite the gear he's wearing. And I also remember watching him duel a demo in the age of "skill". The demo raped him by the method of chain ccing and dpsing before he could even pick his nose

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast