Thread: Which Tank for starting out

Default Which Tank for starting out

which is the better tank, for someone new, to grow into and not much trouble holding aggro ?

would there be differences of choices, if one was f2p and one was Subscriber ?

Play Conq or even easier DT (but conq is more fun imo). There are only two tanks in the game. Conq and DT. Remember this, and you'll do good.

^First rule of AoC forum: Whatever that guy said, ignore it.

Being free or paying has no effect on classes but free game lasts until 80. Then you should either sub or quit.

Also browse these forums for billions of threads/posts about soldier classes. There's more than enough talk about this exact topic everywhere.

Guardian is the only tank that makes sense at all for a free to play player. A guardian in crappy gear can still tank and hold agro quite well.

DT in particular relies on AAs and gear that is not available to non-subscribers.

okay thanks

reason I added the F2p and subscriber in the same topic, is because there is a small group of us that want to start a static group for once a week,not every one are sub.
    if one of the subscribers wanted to tank, I know they'll have access to AA's

I don't tank, it's a role I never enjoyed, I was looking for a consensuses from others which would be the better tank.
    I'm sure how I asked was a bit Vague of the whole intent of the query
    From what I have read and understood, a DT would be the choice, but since I have no experience (also very new to AoC) I was hoping to get some good suggestions from the experienced players (also I'm free-to-play, so can't ask anywhere but here)

thank you again for the replies

While it's true that conq and esp dt rely a lot on gear/AA that a free player could never get, that's not a reason to force your friend to play guard if he/she doesn't want to. There's a very long way to go until 80 and none of the soldiers really have any trouble tanking while leveling, especially if they're in a group of busy people who can only play one night every week. If the tank player thinks dt is the coolest, leave him/her be.

heh thanks,
    NO worries and of course no one is being forced

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    While it's true that conq and esp dt rely a lot on gear/AA that a free player could never get, that's not a reason to force your friend to play guard if he/she doesn't want to. There's a very long way to go until 80 and none of the soldiers really have any trouble tanking while leveling, especially if they're in a group of busy people who can only play one night every week. If the tank player thinks dt is the coolest, leave him/her be.