Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: AoC is #1

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Nope, but I expect people to complain anyway. It just seems to be the way of the world.

Maybe we could try comparing Halloween events in AoC with games that came out around the same time? Maybe that sold comparable amounts? What is happening in Warhammer Online?
    Nice burn; I respect that.

Considering the trigger-pull was only 5-days before the actual holiday ~ that's what's bogus man. And as it was said before; why compare AoC to WarHammer? Is that going to be the benchmark from now on?

Here's what I hope; due to the late release of holiday ops~ you let it run at least 2-weeks past Halloween. There at some of us casual players who aren't on all-day every-day. Please and thank you
    "Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Funcom

It will last 2 weeks from today.

And no, comparing it to Warhammer is my sarcastic counter example to comparing it to a game that released 1 year ago and sold at least triple the copies.
    There are generally two ends to a scale and picking an example from either end doesn't make for a good comparison.
    Last edited by Nusquam; 25th October 2013 at 20:22.

Touché ~ thank you

If yer ever in Hawaii; ill bye you a beer ! Cheers !
    "Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Funcom

Quote Originally Posted by Mustaine View Post
    Touché ~ thank you

If yer ever in Hawaii; ill bye you a beer ! Cheers !
    Ditto if you are ever in Norway

What is happening in Warhammer Online?
    Hahaha! I see what you did there!
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

Quote Originally Posted by RingOfSet View Post
    I have no idea why they even decided to make tsw, don't get me wrong technically its a fine game... but in terms of premise its silly. But to each his own.

From a business perspective, just due to the fact that TSW is new AND ESPECIALLY due to it's payment scheme will always make it receive content on a regular basis over AoC.
    TSW is really cool theme wise. The story side of it is up there along with the best of them in my humble opinion. It's just a little light on content once you reach end game at the moment, which is why the issues are important releases for Funcom.

But really, I think the biggest reason why Funcom chooses to modify and improve TSW over AoC, would be down to the quality of the codebase. You've seen Joel state before that he is quite scared of parts of the codebase (e.g. siege system).

From what I can gather, they put a lot of effort into cleaning up and modernizing the codebase when they did TSW (do to the massive capital injection they had for it). Thus, it is now in a better state than the AoC codebase, and will probably forever be in a better state. Funcom don't have the money to ever really 'fix' the AoC codebase. That is why we get little changes here and there, new dungeons, and stuff like that (i.e. very few systems changes). It is all they can do with the subscription money that they get. It also reflects the different levels of resources they have available i.e. content versus system people.

So, for TSW:
    Nicer codebase = easier to make changes = less chance of breaking seemingly unrelated pieces of code = easy money and better return on investment.

And for AoC:
    Older/legacy codebase = harder to make changes = easy to break seemingly unrelated things (think of, gee, I dunno, the majority of the patches produced for AoC) = hard job to warrant doing when you're short of resources and cash.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Yes, subscribers to AoC should get something for their money. But there seems to be a massive disconnect between what the paying think they should be getting, and Funcom's ability to actually do any of it, regardless.
    Last edited by Petridish; 27th October 2013 at 02:09.
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

Nope, but I expect people to complain anyway. It just seems to be the way of the world.

Maybe we could try comparing Halloween events in AoC with games that came out around the same time? Maybe that sold comparable amounts? What is happening in Warhammer Online?
    Everquest 2 Halloween event ROCKS!!

Not only dozens of craftable house items, costumes, masks, multiple zones, hedge mazes, candy, decorations all over the world....oh man, now Sony really knows how to kick off an event!

Then theres the little fun items, the cash shop items, and the random stuff like candy that turns you into bats XD

Havnt done the conan one yet, unfortunately, since it has a level requirement, and I dont meet it yet. I am sure it has the same amount of love, time, and dedication put into it! After all, both companies want their fans to have fun, and show that they appreciate them, and the holidays!
    Last edited by Duskwood0585; 30th October 2013 at 13:12.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345