Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better class for a beginner

If you want to start tanking i would advise guard, although i believe it's not less complicated than DT at all.

Guard is the tank that relies the less on gear and alternate advancement, so you can basically tank everything in t1 gear, or khitan blues if you need critigation.

When it comes to magical bosses, you can get the base crafted blue plate set, put protection gems in it, and tank every single magical encounter in the game (no exageration, people do that).

The down side is that guardian lacks juice, as in it's not very versatile, so you can't deal huge amount of dps like a DT or a conq. So you tank, and that's it.

Between guard and dt, there's the conq, versatile class, quite easy to handle and quite forgiving.
    Cool class, but i still prefer guardian.

All tanks are very good for solo play. They're all tough as nails and allows far more mistakes for a new player than other classes.

Guard with spear: Tanks everything like a champ and has very high spike damage in frenzy for soloing. Doesn't need much powerful gear or AA to play.
    Guard with shield: Immortal turtle. Doesn't do damage, doesn't take damage, doesn't let anything go away. Doesn't need anything more than subpar stuff to play (except for like half of keyboard).
    Templar with shield: A damage based tank that gets by with draining health/mana from enemies. Requires too much of everything, becomes too powerful.
    Brute conqueror: The middle of the road balanced tank who has a bit of everything and brings most goodies for a group. Doesn't need much powerful gear to play but AA improvement aka dependance is big.

Hi,
    I read here and there topics about tanks as 'beginner' but i wondered what actually can these toons tank, when they hit level 80 as a beginner.
    At the moment started a DT and in a mix of cultural armor and stoneheart pieces for constit and armor boosts, all gemmed, wielding an ok shield (deflector), it reaches just 41% mitigation on Defensive stance and 10K health. What should be the next steps, since running instances like Atzel will only drop even lower gear?
    Thanks for suggestions
    Last edited by Gevlya; 29th October 2013 at 14:54.

Quote Originally Posted by RingOfSet View Post
    Don't play Guardian. I'm being very serious. Again, everybody and their sister plays one to "mid level" 80, maybe get some T2 mixed with some khitai purps a piece of T3 or whatever and they go "well their fine poo poo poo!"....but they HAVE NO CLUE what it's like toward top end of the game. The class just isn't viable at that level. Guards, die easier then the other two classes, can't hold aggro for crap, and their damage is literally on the bottom of the DPS list. It's INSANE and I STRONGLY recommend you don't play Guard.
    Thanks. I now feel a strong need to level and gear out my Guard just so that I know whether or not you're wrong.
    shoryuken

Don't play Guardian. I'm being very serious. Again, everybody and their sister plays one to "mid level" 80, maybe get some T2 mixed with some khitai purps a piece of T3 or whatever and they go "well their fine poo poo poo!"....but they HAVE NO CLUE what it's like toward top end of the game. The class just isn't viable at that level. Guards, die easier then the other two classes, can't hold aggro for crap, and their damage is literally on the bottom of the DPS list. It's INSANE and I STRONGLY recommend you don't play Guard.
    Can't hold aggro? What?
    They are decent in lvling with pole specc, does a good job in minigames aswell. Aslong as you stay out of the sword and board while pvp'ing and lvl'ing it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gevlya View Post
    What should be the next steps, since running instances like Atzel will only drop even lower gear?
    Thanks for suggestions
    Next step is getting T1/2 gear on the side (still better than old world blues) while you focus on working on your factions in Khitai.

Join normal modes and hard modes to get blue tanking gear (khitan blues are better than t1/2 purples) and possibly some purple here and there. There are hardmodes you can join easily as offtank in green gear, such as palace or vortex.

Make sure you get good accessories too. You can get free blues in Tarantia common district from Crow's nest quests.
    Or you can buy crafted ones at the tradepost.
    Pick the dps ones.

About your current gear, stoneheart and deflector are a decent starting set for magical tanking, so keep them since you'll have use for it in the future anyway, but these are no proper gear for a dt tanking regular encounters, as in physical.
    You want gear with hit rating, crit rating and direct damage, and with just enough armor/hp not to drop like a fly.

Guards are very viable in end game. I know... i play one. Though i would say that when levelling you'll want to play a polearm and then switch to sword and board for groups and raids
    Hamsters and rangers and everyone, REJOICE!

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Guard isn't noob friendly class. Potential is quite hight but firstly you need to know enviroment of game, dungeons, mechanic of fight. From the guard all will expected good tanking, and it's not as easy as it might seem. 2-3 wipes and group will disband.

To begin choose necro or demo. If you like mele classes take Conq- very good dps and high survivability.

At the end there is nothing better than to kill 5 mobs at single fight Those classes over gives you this pleasure.

As a newbie who's finished quests in Atzel and Onyx (you did finish those quests), your next stop is T1 raiding, followed by Xibaluku/Iron Tower and T2. You should become good yourself but DT is a really bad class to start your career with because it's incredibly item dependant (prolonged exposure can transform you to a lootwhore).

Quote Originally Posted by Aell View Post
    I now feel a strong need to level and gear out my Guard just so that I know whether or not you're wrong.
    He's always wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    As a newbie who's finished quests in Atzel and Onyx (you did finish those quests), your next stop is T1 raiding, followed by Xibaluku/Iron Tower and T2. You should become good yourself but DT is a really bad class to start your career with because it's incredibly item dependant (prolonged exposure can transform you to a lootwhore).

He's always wrong.
    Yeah, but since I've never leveled a guardian (or a ToS, actually) I can't know that for absolute certain. So it bugs me that I can't refute his attempt at an argument.

I'm not leveling a ToS though. Way too boring.
    shoryuken

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast