Thread: Foster Farms Chicken: Salmonella concerns

Default Foster Farms Chicken: Salmonella concerns

Just an FYI: Foster farms has chicken out there that has been contaminated with a possibly antibiotic resistant strain of salmonella and the chicken has NOT been recalled:

http://healthland.time.com/2013/10/0...ella-outbreak/

CDC (center of disease control) has called in furloughed scientists to help out with this and other issues.

So cook your chicken thoroughly.

Its ok to cook your chicken, just don't choke your chicken...(double snare drum-high hat)

Newflash: the CDC has determined that AOC pet chickens are safe for human consumption though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubium View Post
    Newflash: the CDC has determined that AOC pet chickens are safe for human consumption though.
    Thank the Lord for life's little mercies

I'd hazard a guess that 95% of non-organic farms are loaded with Salmonella, I just suppose this lot could not be arsed to empty the toxic sludge they dip chickens in.

Birds and reptiles sporatically shed Salmonella as part of their normal enteric bacteria. Mammals shed E. coli.

So you can't totally eradicate either one of those forms of food poisoning. The issue is having the bacteria growing and producing toxins in stored foods, or having meats contaminated with growing bacteria (i.e. ground meat with fecal contamination not fully cooked). If you killed a chicken (or cow) or had eggs and ate them fresh, then your risks would be a lot lower. That's why the CDC recommends not feeding raw meats to animals, not just for their sakes (i.e. dogs being fed raw meat as 'natural') but because the pet could then shed the bacteria in their feces for another six weeks.

Dogs are not wolves. Their immune systems have been altered with controlled breeding and there is no 'survival of the fittest' genetic screening to have the best male/female breeding sets. So feeding Fido raw meats isn't a healthy thing to do.

Did you know that it is illegal in the US to feed pigs uncooked foods? Its to reduce the risk of parasites and diseases from being spread through uncooked feed. And we want to feed it to our dogs and cats.

Finestkind.

Once upon a time .. a bearded gentleman/or woman came from the heavens and told a certain bunch of people that pigs are dirty* and should not be eaten.
    *Despite pigs being the cleanest animals, they eat worms and their meat rots quickly in the desert with no fridge.

I can bet he/she did not foresee our current chicken farming methods or fastfood places
    Last edited by Invino; 11th October 2013 at 08:32.

This is how the republican beef lobby works in the US. ^^
    Tainted Souls on Crom - Johara's Featplanner

Hushi (HoX) - Igne natura renovatur integra