Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the role players here now?

A good rp-er will rp a fight and her/his defeat so I see the excuse 'jumping on someone without talking first' as a lousy excuse to gank someone, just saying.

A fight without some agreement on rules, is usually always OOC to me...so really not a matter of rp

So i treat an ambush as ambush...what i do in return depends a lot on how it happened, who did it, where it happened, when it happened and what my mood is. In the past you could have decent conversations or even make friends after some fighting...i can't say this applies to nowadays gankers, though with some you can still have decent fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlya View Post
    A good rp-er will rp a fight and her/his defeat so I see the excuse 'jumping on someone without talking first' as a lousy excuse to gank someone, just saying.
    This is what I'm talking about.

Say I'm hunting FotD and some guy in Vanir clothing goes by. So I kill him. Now I'm a bad RPer?

No.

YOU'RE the bad RPer. If you can't take what happened and make it a story, you're bad. Why should I do your work for you?

I see all this as the usual excuse for RPer ego. "Nooooo! Not fair! You killed me! You can't kill me, I'm the heeeeerooooooo!"

You're not. None of us are. We are bit parts. Sadly, some bit parts are divas. Those deserve to die anyway.
    Last edited by Aell; 21st October 2013 at 15:50.
    shoryuken

Quote Originally Posted by Aell View Post
    This is what I'm talking about.

Say I'm hunting FotD and some guy in Vanir clothing goes by. So I kill him. Now I'm a bad RPer?

No.

YOU'RE the bad RPer. If you can't take what happened and make it a story, you're bad. Why should I do your work for you?
    This selfishness is exactly what I mean, roleplay is a two way communication thing, not one way, you are not a bad RP-er but you are not a RP-er at all if this is what you think rp is about.

This selfishness is exactly what I mean, roleplay is a two way communication thing, not one way, you are not a bad RP-er but you are not a RP-er at all if this is what you think rp is about.
    And this is why I am no longer on Fury where not only is the standard of PvP abysmal but also, the place is clogged with people who wouldn't know RP if it came in their butt.
    shoryuken

Written truth. Basics of rp include the ability to differentiate between OOC and IC as well as basic of pvp should include the social competence to differentiate between ingame behaviour and real life behaviour.

@Aell:
    I can understand this. Fury simple is not the same as the old rp-pvp servers were...
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 21st October 2013 at 15:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    Written truth. Basics of rp include the ability to differentiate between OOC and IC as well as basic of pvp should include the social competence to differentiate between ingame behaviour and real life behaviour.
    The hell?

You're playing a role. Now, for you to decide that the world is yours and you control everything that happens in it is what we RPers call "God-moding" after "God mode" in many games. It is deciding that YOU are god and YOU and YOU ALONE decide what happens to your character.

That's not playing a role. That's writing a novel.

RP is improvisational. You make up your story and play your role dependent on what happens to you.

"OOC: Excuse me? I am a ranger hunting Vanir and you look like one. Can I attack you please?"
    "OOC: Oh no, I only wear Vanir clothes because I like how they look and in any case, I am RPing a mighty hero so being attacked a ranger who is good will not work for my story at all"
    "OOC: Are you quite sure? Oh well. I shall perch here on my rock for another hour waiting for somebody who looks like a Vanir then. Have a lovely day!"

That's not RP. That's being a prissy little kid.
    shoryuken

At first I was getting angry, but now I'm laughing.

Aell is one of the finest RPers I have had the pleasure to RP with. To say he isn't a roleplayer at all when you have absolutely no idea is laughable. And shows your ignorance of how RP can and has worked in a PvP setting.

You do not have to preplan something to RP it. It is not necessary (and I find it distasteful) to say "OK, I'm going to pretend to surprise you, ok? Then you say some stuff and I say some stuff and then we'll fight, but I'll let you win, ok?"

Stuff happens. You respond in character. More stuff happens as a result of what happened and your response. Maybe you make a friend (IC). Maybe you make an enemy (IC). Maybe you realize you have just been betrayed by someone you thought was an ally. Maybe your lover then steps out from behind a tree and you realize you were set up - by your (now ex?) lover.

Fantastic (in terms of story) things can happen if you stay open to the unexpected and abandon a script.

Here's another way to think about it:

You are running around near Atzel's Fortress. You pause for a moment and you are attacked by a patrolling NPC. Do you cry "That's not fair! I wasn't ready! You didn't tell me why you were attacking me!"? Or do you think, "ah, those are the bandits I was told about, I need to be more careful".

I don't know about you, but I do the second. And if a player I don't know attacks me in the same situation, it preserves my RP and immersion to respond in the same way.

If a player I do know (and know to be a role player) attacks, then that's a new piece of information in my RP world - that this person is hostile. I can treat him as such next time I see him, tell others about it, even form a posse to hunt him down - whatever works.

I won't say this is the "right" way to RP and your way is "wrong", although I think my preference is clear. But one way of RP allows you to have and build good RP in a PvP setting, and the other way ensures a lot of frustration and hard feelings and lack of RP. You are free to choose your path.

@Aell:

Oh my...

No.

As with pen and paper YOU, the player decide what kind of char you are and what you can do. Then you have a game system and a gm with rules guiding you along to just counter that "god emoting".

In AoC this role is taken by you AND the other players (read again: two way communication). NOT the limited game system or the bugged combat rules. Sure you can use it and include it, if the parties agree...but using your brain and fantasy is NOT god moding

I am really surprised that the concept of OOC and IC behaviour eludes you obviously. But there are sticky threads in the roleplaying sections, you might want to look up.

Sure rp can be improvising. It can be playing always IC. It also can be writing a novel.

@Sendra: I am curious how you manage to include onesided attacks in your rp all the time. I can see that it is possible in certain situations and time, but you also don't take every action on a pve server as IC...so if you manage to include every gank and ingame quest into your rp, kudos to you. It would not be my kind of thing or an interesting story to my tastes, though...but to everyone their own.

@Aell: Talking about god-emoting...what if not that would you consider if a pvp10 ranger attacks a low level quester? What options does the victim has to include it in "his" rp other than "oops, i suddenly died"?
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 21st October 2013 at 16:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Sendra View Post
    At first I was getting angry, but now I'm laughing.

Aell is one of the finest RPers I have had the pleasure to RP with. To say he isn't a roleplayer at all when you have absolutely no idea is laughable. And shows your ignorance of how RP can and has worked in a PvP setting.

You do not have to preplan something to RP it. It is not necessary (and I find it distasteful) to say "OK, I'm going to pretend to surprise you, ok? Then you say some stuff and I say some stuff and then we'll fight, but I'll let you win, ok?"

Stuff happens. You respond in character. More stuff happens as a result of what happened and your response. Maybe you make a friend (IC). Maybe you make an enemy (IC). Maybe you realize you have just been betrayed by someone you thought was an ally. Maybe your lover then steps out from behind a tree and you realize you were set up - by your (now ex?) lover.

Fantastic (in terms of story) things can happen if you stay open to the unexpected and abandon a script.

Here's another way to think about it:

You are running around near Atzel's Fortress. You pause for a moment and you are attacked by a patrolling NPC. Do you cry "That's not fair! I wasn't ready! You didn't tell me why you were attacking me!"? Or do you think, "ah, those are the bandits I was told about, I need to be more careful".

I don't know about you, but I do the second. And if a player I don't know attacks me in the same situation, it preserves my RP and immersion to respond in the same way.

If a player I do know (and know to be a role player) attacks, then that's a new piece of information in my RP world - that this person is hostile. I can treat him as such next time I see him, tell others about it, even form a posse to hunt him down - whatever works.

I won't say this is the "right" way to RP and your way is "wrong", although I think my preference is clear. But one way of RP allows you to have and build good RP in a PvP setting, and the other way ensures a lot of frustration and hard feelings and lack of RP. You are free to choose your path.
    One reaction only...: Oh my god.....and with this I am getting out of this thread, playing with real roleplayers who know what they are talking about.
    Have fun.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast