Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plight of the EU player...

Quote Originally Posted by Chillee View Post
    I hate for anybody to have issues, but I've raided and grouped with a number of Aussie and Euro players who didn't have any issues. Doesn't make sense that the issues are all server side when the latency doesn't seem to be affecting everyone.
    Depends where you are from and your tolerance to latency.
    In PvE, depending on what you're doing and with whom you can still play good enough (get the boss down) with 500ms be it as a tank a healer or a Damage dealer. So it's playable but not so fun. Now lower than that can be acceptable though since you can't trigger the next combo step or anything before server recieved the info on the previous step, having latency slows everything down.

In PvP you can't do good with high latency in a competitive envrionment. Double taping is limited, hitting moving target is based on luck and guesses. Reaction to CC, smoothness of action is gimped. So sure, i guess you can "do fine" when you've been playing like that for ever. But "doing fine" is not ok when you were use to do better. And it's not just a question of stats at the end of a mini, it's also a question of feel.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Doesn't matter where you are when Funcom downloads stuff in the background which slows the game down for everyone.
    I normally have 60ish ping and 50ish fps. Right now the game says that is what I am at but it is playing more like 15 fps.
    It is unplayable and I just logged off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vehl View Post
    Depends where you are from and your tolerance to latency.
    In PvE, depending on what you're doing and with whom you can still play good enough (get the boss down) with 500ms be it as a tank a healer or a Damage dealer. So it's playable but not so fun. Now lower than that can be acceptable though since you can't trigger the next combo step or anything before server recieved the info on the previous step, having latency slows everything down.

In PvP you can't do good with high latency in a competitive envrionment. Double taping is limited, hitting moving target is based on luck and guesses. Reaction to CC, smoothness of action is gimped. So sure, i guess you can "do fine" when you've been playing like that for ever. But "doing fine" is not ok when you were use to do better. And it's not just a question of stats at the end of a mini, it's also a question of feel.
    Regardless of the tolerance of individuals, not everyone has a latentcy of 500. Or even 200. Which was my point.

If it was 100% an issue on the server side, the high latenctcy would be affecting everyone. It isn't. 500 is essentially unplayable, yet I see Euros, Aussies, Koreans, Indians, etc raiding, in groups, PVPing, etc all day long with little or no issue.

How do you know they have little or no issue?
    Maybe they just got used to it or have no alternatives?
    What you see on your client can be thorougly different and a completely different experience on another players client...so what you observe is highly subjective.

And there is little or no arguing that most pve content is doable with higher latency. Also it should be obvious this does not apply to pvp or other pve (at least when it comes to tactics and planning or reacting. And most pve content can be done even, if you are frozen or slow in combat...as long as the others are not). Sure, from the outside it might look similar...or like good vs bad player...but those playing (keys ignored, teleports, animations skipped, freezes, castbars skipped etc.) might see it differently.

Also it looks like the engine handles lag depending on situation. So 300ms latency in one situation can be different again from 300ms latency in another situation (at least considering client perception).

How is OPs post any different than any other game we share with EU and Aussie/Kiwis ? Thus, pointless ~ obviously moving servers has induced lag to those unfortunate players. Three options ;

1. Don't PvP ~ only PvE
    2. Deal with lag while PvPing
    3. Quit game ~ welcome to another game with the same issue

Hope this finds you all we'll.

"Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Last edited by Chillee; 1st October 2013 at 20:53.

Maybe i was a bit harsh.

My point was that Aussies/Kiwis have dealt witht this from the start and dont b*tch and moan......and yet the forums are flooded with EU player tears.

Just either get over/used to it or play another game....FC are not going to move the servers back for you nomatter how big and "better" your player base is.
    People just don't want to invest time in an MMO. A true showing of ADD. I think AOC isn't a game for you if you just want to start out at max levels. You should try star wars, Call of Duty, AION, or any of the other instant gratification games.

Well I've had connection issues only like twice since they moved the servers (I mean issues on my side only, not issues that were affecting everyone which does happen sometimes) so yes the servers are working fine. Problem is the diversity of ISPs in Europe & the World. There's no way you can guarantee that it will work fine for everyone, no matter how imba your servers and hosting are. I mean some Russians are playing with 130ms and some guys from US West Coast or the UK have more than that... See where I'm going? That's not because of the servers but because of the ISPs. And there are solutions to that, first step is contacting your ISP and if they won't help you then a VPN is in order (which may cost money but that's what you get for having a bad ISP, though of course some people simply don't have much of a choice).
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustaine View Post
    Aloha, then!

*hanging loose*

What you have to do with the lag issue is incorporate a bit of roll play in the matter. Just try to imagine some sort of exciting explanation into the game. For example; you can just imagine that the teleportation is due to the character taking a special drug derived by a special herb. The explanations can be limitless with RP.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast