Thread: Returning player

Default Returning player

So the last time i played Aoc was back during launch. I managed to get my DT up to about 39 before i stopped playing. But am now coming back into the game and was wondering a few things. And yes i have looked over sidar's DT guide.

1. For group play and dungeons at low level how is it to spec as dps ?
    2. For solo play whats a good route to go?

I would spec as tank for dungeons at low level, since it's much easier to get into groups as a tank. (Same at 80)
    Br,
    Roevhalt

Quote Originally Posted by darkheart451 View Post
    1. For group play and dungeons at low level how is it to spec as dps ?
    2. For solo play whats a good route to go?
    Levelling a tank build is a pain in the arse. It takes an hour to fight against the mobs and you basically win through attrition. When I started the game, I tried to level as a tank (no DPS feats) and it was painful.

You have no use for mana in first 20 levels, no heavy armour and minimal DPS as low lvl soldier. I learned from my mistake.

It is a better idea to go into desecration tree for DPS and then use Soldier tree feats for armour and protection to toughen up your DT while you are levelling, e.g. below lvl 45 - 50.

The first few feats in depravity tree do not speed up levelling, only improving your tanking abilities a bit. Only from Soul Barrier onwards does the depravity tree become more useful for solo and group.

I suggest using a build like this: http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v10_11f...2494126f012048

With this build you use your mana for damage and you are tough enough from the stoneskin and iron skin.

Also, this build has no benefits to any stances, so you can use defensive when tanking, frenzy when you need DPS and no stance for when you need less mitigation and a bit more damage.

You do want Soul Barrier eventually, as it is an important part of DT tanking and gives you something else to do with your mana. But for low level levelling, it is not as important.

Remember a lvl 80 DT build does not have Soldier feats, because you need those points for the higher tier class feats, like mind shatter and dooming presence.

Retweak your build when you are a higher level.
    In balance with this life, this death
    -- Hand of Ibis RiP
    Magic is seeing what happens when you hit someone really hard, and when they disappear in a red spray, that's magic.
    -- Jansensen, Gunderman fighter {max taps - RiP}
    CQB Ranger

I would lvl in pvp shield and board specc, or something close to it. You would have decent chance to prey on gankers, lvl quite fast(it won't so fast, even in dps specc, DT is not class suited for speedrunning, grinding your way through mobs and stuff like that) and still have some shot in dungeons(probaly not as MT unless you outgear instance you're going into) and even have chance to solo stuff like armsman arena
    Valianoris - 80lvl Priest of Mitra
    Aelfronear - 80lvl Dark Templar

I appreciate the help and the input guys . Thanks

Sorry to hijack this thread - but instead of starting a new one with a similar title, I thought I'd ask another question.

I've been playing since launch but have stuck to my main, an assassin. After leveling the DT, I enjoy playing the class but am basically a huge piece of glass running around the mini-game playfield.

I've spec'd into the general tank build in Sidar's guide: http://goo.gl/eVwzD - but still get brought down quickly. My hope was to just be a flag runner until I got better gear and AA's.

So, I guess I'd just like to know what my next move should be. I'm getting frustrated and would like to have a better DT experience while I work my way to the magical end-game DT PvP DPS spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeco View Post
    I've spec'd into the general tank build in Sidar's guide: http://goo.gl/eVwzD - but still get brought down quickly. My hope was to just be a flag runner until I got better gear and AA's.

So, I guess I'd just like to know what my next move should be. I'm getting frustrated and would like to have a better DT experience while I work my way to the magical end-game DT PvP DPS spec.
    I will give you the advice given to me by Jovana from fury: you're sacrificing too much DPS.

Rather spec purely up to mind shatter in depravity and put more into descecration. A lot more. I would say all your soldier tree points. You tap off your damage, and you are not doing much with this spec. But since you don't have good weapons and gear, you aren't doing enough anyway.

As new 80 DT you are at a disadvantage in PvP.

Get Khitai gear, raid weapons and AAs. Go for VOM, anti-CC AA, and crit increasing AAs. Asap. Buy PvP 3 shield from in game store (is cheap and should be able to buy with subscription points and you don't need PvP lvl 3 for in store version of shield).

PvP is quick and you need better gear and DPS. Period. Get cracking on AAs and Khitai stuff and make sure you get a raid weapon.

Other than that, grit your teeth until you have the gear and then you will love it.

Suggestion only (variation of Sidar's sword and shield PvP spec): http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v10_11f...18dd124fc1129c
    -- Hand of Ibis RiP
    Magic is seeing what happens when you hit someone really hard, and when they disappear in a red spray, that's magic.
    CQB Ranger

There are a lot of good tanks out there, and if you have low gear there is no point of feating a full tank build if you aren't going to be able to take and hold agro. Then it is better to feat a damage build where you can take agro for a few hits and let main tank heal up before you let him take it back.

I've got a PvP spec and a General Tank spec now (For 6-man OT). I definitely see a different in frenzy w/ the PvP spec, but I'm wondering if I should go full PvP Tali spec? Is there a spec for that? I guess my thoughts are to keep the general tank spec for 6-mans and then go all out magic damage for PvP.

The problem I see with that is my gear. I'll probably need two different sets of gear. Anyway, now that I'm accumulating rares and MoA, what should I be looking for? Sidar's guide confuses me when it comes to gear. Great guide though!

Quote Originally Posted by Keeco View Post
    I've got a PvP spec and a General Tank.... what should I be looking for?...
    I see no one responded. I will take a stab at the question.

Raid weapons, Khitai dungeon gear (gained fm Khitai group tokens) and you can use MoA to get faction gear to make you feel less squishy in the short term while you do group and raid PvE to be able to PvP. I like the last legion gear (not the look but the stats) but wolf gear and even some tiger gear in the mix is effective.

You can go tali spec, if you have good enough gear.

Personally, I like shields and fewer buttons (abilities), but many DTs do very well in tali spec, but you need good gear.

I think shields give good bonuses and armour. I would go with shield for start then once have better gear try tali. But your call.
    -- Hand of Ibis RiP
    CQB Ranger