Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warhammer Online to shut down this December

Maybe some of the players that still play WH will come to AoC

Quote Originally Posted by EddardStark View Post
    I heard winter will be

I actually quit WAR to play AoC. In 2009 WAR was already full of bitter people and PvP was exploited just like Bori. AoC on the other hand was finally ready for release

WAR had some sick RvR... when it worked and the faction balance was reasonable. I remember logging off during sieges and waking up at 4am to go back in the fray. WAR had completely meh PvE (the art and setting redeemed it a bit), while PvP was something you could do all-day long even when combat was kinda simple.

WAR had some great stuff I will always miss:

- player driven campaign, with keeps, fortresses and capitol to capture (in true MMO fashion, it was bugged and exploited)

- skills useful in both PvE and PvP (f.e. Taunt would aggro mobs in PvE, but also interrupt flag capturing or place debuff+marker on players etc.)

- you could adorn your armor with trophies (gained from achievements, including PvP) f.e. gobling skull hanging from a pauldron, beer stein from the belt etc.

- some classes were changing their look the higher the level f.e. marauders would get a more mutated look, magus would get a better disc

This game was my first MMO and taught me some very valuable lessons:

1) Never, ever trust EA - they get no more money from me, ever...

2) Never, ever trust Devs - I remember a presentation from Paul Barnett (not MJ) to the Korean market - "everything broken for the Americans, we fixed for you" (or something similar). Never again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71r5HiLa8bA (26 seconds)

3) PvPers will exploit anything and everything for advantage, skill and gear are never enough - Firebrew anyone?

4) Class balance matters - Bright Wizard anyone?

http://img.bhs4.com/82/F/82F6BDAEA40...133A_large.jpg
    Last edited by Harrn; 19th September 2013 at 21:53. Reason: adding images, Firebrew, painful video, fixed MJ to PB ref

I had a lot of fun in WaR, and while I haven't played it in about a year, I am sad to see it go. PVP wasn't perfect, but it often was active...at least at certain tiers.

It really is a shame to see games with potential fall to the side due to "financial" decisions...I hate EA. FC isn't far behind...

Quote Originally Posted by EddardStark View Post
    a lot of us already are
    Ashareth: Assassin (80) - Tsong: Ranger (80) - Ashoreth: Dark Templar (80) - Belidos: Conqueror (80)
    Ashorath: Guardian (52) - Asharoth: Priest of Mitra (80) - Asheera: Tempest of Set (80)
    Asharath: Bear Shaman (5) - Asharatep: Demonologist (80)

Quote Originally Posted by Harrn;2066418

4) Class balance matters - Bright Wizard anyone?

[url
    http://img.bhs4.com/82/F/82F6BDAEA40277BBC45F1972136340C18229133A_large.jpg[/url]
    Towards the end BW's were wusses, the ones to watch out for were high RR AM's, especially when paired with a high RR SW.
    Ashareth: Assassin (80) - Tsong: Ranger (80) - Ashoreth: Dark Templar (80) - Belidos: Conqueror (80)
    Ashorath: Guardian (52) - Asharoth: Priest of Mitra (80) - Asheera: Tempest of Set (80)
    Asharath: Bear Shaman (5) - Asharatep: Demonologist (80)

Quote Originally Posted by Asharoth View Post
    I think generally at the beginning it was a timing issue, DAOC had taken a nosedive and a lot of people were waiting with baited breath for WAR to release as a replacement, so they were looking for something temporary to fill the gap, along came AOC at the perfect time, people played it while they waited and then moved on when WAR came out, finding out that WAR was a big let down and returning.

It wasn't so much people deserting AOC for WAR but AOC being there to fill a gap inbetween games, which was fortunate for AOC because people who would have never touched it tried it found it good and when WAR turned out to be a let down came back.

We would probably never have had a lot of the players we did at the start if it wasn't for that timing.
    That was how I landed in AoC. I was watching WH and waiting for the release. Saw some old FPS buddies online playing AoC beta and asked how it was. Bought it the first weekend after release.

Funny thing - I never ended up buying Warhammer. As it got closer to release, I just started caring less and less about it.

I was sad to see that WAR was being shut down by a bunch of retarded and greedy corporate nubs. it was a great game and could have been alot more, unfortunatly EA didnt want to spend anything to polish it and/or add to it and finally decided to shut it down.

i played both WAR and AOC AND WoW at the same time. i hope another company picks up the MMO and makes it into the fantastic IP it was meant to be.

RIP war.

i hope to see that AoC gets some more investment so we can see this game grow, also hope to see loads of folks from WAR make their way to Aoc to strengthen the numbers here

Quote Originally Posted by tyrusaran View Post
    I was sad to see that WAR was being shut down by a bunch of retarded and greedy corporate nubs. it was a great game and could have been alot more, unfortunatly EA didnt want to spend anything to polish it and/or add to it and finally decided to shut it down.

i played both WAR and AOC AND WoW at the same time. i hope another company picks up the MMO and makes it into the fantastic IP it was meant to be.

RIP war.

i hope to see that AoC gets some more investment so we can see this game grow, also hope to see loads of folks from WAR make their way to Aoc to strengthen the numbers here
    Game was terrible. Period. It had almost no Warhammer feel to it at all and was mainly a crap WoW clone with a focus on large scale siege pvp, which was bad.

For anyone who has ever played a real GW Warhammer Fantasy tabletop game, Warhammer Online was nothing but a huge insult to the fan base. GW just needs to focus on making a WH and a 40k tabletop game playable online with the same edition rules of whatever is out. I takes too long to build an army, paint it, and adjust it...by the time you do 6th edition is out and all your land raiders and dreadnoughts have become 600$ of crap that dies in turn 1, hull points are awesome. lol
    Doomsayer 2008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12