Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost "can only have one" items

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Guys, I have just had a meeting with the DBA to get a handle on exactly what has happened, why and what the procedure for fixing it is.

This was a fix (not a patch but a database script) for the duplicate items bug that we saw after the merge. The fix was unfortunately a bit too aggressive and deleted some items from players who should legitimately have them.

There is, however, no way to miraculously restore those items perfectly, because there were many people with duplicates and many of those items were being used to exploit.

If any of your characters are missing items, you will need to submit a petition to the GMs who will be able to return the missing items. We will need to process this manually and I apologise that there will be some delays as the queue for GM support will be longer than usual.

Finally, I'd like to stress that this affects a relatively small percentage of the population. We should be able to clear this up quickly with a little patience and perseverance.

Sincere apologies to anyone and everyone this affects. We are reviewing how this went wrong and updating the operating procedures accordingly.
    Why do your people mess with the database via script during live servers?
    What measures are taken that this will not happen again?
    What about chars that were unactive, might they have lost items?
    What were the conditions under which items got deleted?
    Are you seriously expecting a manual approach to work (many players don't do books on the items they have...and not all sort their inventory (like me) so they see things at first glance). Still i would have to log through and check all chars...)?
    If you wanted to fix an exploit (rather a bug YOU created), why are people affected, who had no duplicated items?
    Don't you have daily backups for a rollback?
    How will this issue be treated, if some players find out next year or so, they are missing an item?

Sorry, but the manual approach to fix a script created issue is just wrong. Professionally wrong. Don't your people understand their own scripts? At least don't harass your customers more by requiring them to petition. Look at your script...backtrack what it did...and FIX it yourselves during a downtime or with a counterscript! How could you even let people loose live on the database, who can't even undo the mess they created or at least report and document it properly and fast once the first customer complained??

Sorry again for the harsh words, but in any other industry this would be completely unacceptable and the handling so far is just horrible (though i appreciate the explanation, but one could deduce as much already by what happened). At least let someone answer the questions above or give more details about the script. Mistakes can happen...but it is the handling of them that defines good work.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 18th September 2013 at 16:19.

A relatively small percentage...in our raid last night there were at least 12 people online who got affected and only one person said in vent that they didn't have any extra 'can only have one' items yet they also had their chthonic rings removed at least.

If the 'small percentage' is the four and five year players, not the ftps, then you are more likely to have annoyed your old player base that supports the game the most.

Just how many people did not 'lose' anything at all? How many banes are still out there right now? I had no idea that a 'bane' was a 'can only have one' item...how do you get two anyway?

I fear it is just the tip of the iceberg...and manually handling (and then assuming the problem is solved) without proper measures will only make it worse.

So far i checked 4 chars and not one has lost something...

But we don't even know where to look still.

- Are items in the char bank affected?
    - Is there a difference between worn items (power or vanity) or stored items?
    - Does it matter if you were online or offline yesterday?

The really concerning thing for me is the attitude again...it looks they don't even realize they messed up things (database) by mentioning "only a small percentage" (of which many were obviously exploiting anyway) of players. Funcom...what if your assesment here is wrong?

I also would like to know what sorts of items that went missing. I read someone lost social gear. I haven't been playing in awhile and I can't remember what I had in my bags. I checked all my characters and all my bought bags were there still. Are the items that can be missing only
    soul-bound items?

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Guys, I have just had a meeting with the DBA to get a handle on exactly what has happened, why and what the procedure for fixing it is.

This was a fix (not a patch but a database script) for the duplicate items bug that we saw after the merge. The fix was unfortunately a bit too aggressive and deleted some items from players who should legitimately have them.

There is, however, no way to miraculously restore those items perfectly, because there were many people with duplicates and many of those items were being used to exploit.

If any of your characters are missing items, you will need to submit a petition to the GMs who will be able to return the missing items. We will need to process this manually and I apologise that there will be some delays as the queue for GM support will be longer than usual.

Finally, I'd like to stress that this affects a relatively small percentage of the population. We should be able to clear this up quickly with a little patience and perseverance.

Sincere apologies to anyone and everyone this affects. We are reviewing how this went wrong and updating the operating procedures accordingly.

arggh. so funcom just keep saying ppl to petition in game.. but when i petition to gm he ssay this "im not authorized to restore your items".. i even lost items i bought from item shop. and only were capable of geting one social set back

Quote Originally Posted by Derled View Post
    arggh. so funcom just keep saying ppl to petition in game.. but when i petition to gm he ssay this "im not authorized to restore your items".. i even lost items i bought from item shop. and only were capable of geting one social set back
    just give the gm this link: http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpos...9&postcount=88
    I am Stian ingame...

Almost all social items are gone (not from all toons oddly enough). Also items like wardstones for Iron Tower, Relocators for Yag, Halloween social items, quest items like bone flute etc.

Problem is I cannot recall the name of many of these items. Can the GM's see exactly what was lost? (ie not just quest rewards but items you pick up or drop from raids/6m)
    Last edited by lok502; 18th September 2013 at 16:44.

I sure hope they have a record cause my bag is gone, so I only have 24 slots and 5 are empty (they all used to be filled). Since I can not see pages 2-5 its going to be hard to remember all of what I had. I know I complete set of T4 TB set, most of a summoners set and lots of other random pieces from 6mans.. And T4 weapons for ToS/PoM. This is a giant cluster..
    Rogue Angels Guild Leader and Progression Raid Leader
    http://rogueangels.guildlaunch.com

Tmanku 80 Guard | Tmanil 80 ToS | Tmanosu 80 DT | Tmanbank 80 BS | Tmanfu 80 Demo | Tmanwu 80 Ranger | Tmanpope 80 PoM | Tmanpointy 80 Sin | Tmanbarb 80 Barb | Tmanfire 80 HoX | Tmannecro 80 Necro | Tmanblade 80 Conq | Tmanlite 80 Guard | Tmantosjr 80 Tos | Tmandemojr 80 Demo | Tmanthethird Saga Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Civilix View Post
    i will, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by tman1991 View Post
    I sure hope they have a record cause my bag is gone, so I only have 24 slots and 5 are empty (they all used to be filled). Since I can not see pages 2-5 its going to be hard to remember all of what I had. I know I complete set of T4 TB set, most of a summoners set and lots of other random pieces from 6mans.. And T4 weapons for ToS/PoM. This is a giant cluster..
    i have the same situation on my necro. "luckily" it's my only character affected, but if the petition won't solve it, i'm going to be very upset!!
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast