Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on picking a class

Default Help on picking a class

I've been playing a few characters through the whole of Tortage, and I'm trying to pick between Conqueror, Assassin or ToS.

I'm leaning towards the ToS as of today, it's a little squishy but that seems to be getting better.
    Abilities seem to come much farther apart than most games, so I was wondering what people think is a good level to actually decide whether a class is right for you. I'm getting the feeling it might not be 20
    If anyone wants to weigh in with their opinion of the classes, that'd be welcome too!

Those three are very different classes. It depends what you feel like you want to do. Conqueror is expected to be a tank, while ToS is expected to contribute with healing and high damage. Assassin is a straight forward glass cannon damage dealer. Conquerors can also achieve close to Assassin damage in a full dps build and gear, but will not be able to tank while doing so.

Assassins and ToS are easier to gear up then the conq at higher levels needing 2 sets of gear rather then just one. But I find melee classes a lot more fun then casters.
    Keella - LvL 80 BS - PvP 10.50 (Main)
    Lexxiia - LvL 80 Ranger - PvP 7.68 (2nd Main)
    Sskylla - LvL 80 Sin - PvP 4.55 (1st Alt)
    Lexxaa - LvL 80 Conq - PvP 4.20 (2nd Alt)
    Esteell - LvL 80 HoX - PvP 2.05 (3rd Alt)

Here's my opinion, but first of all, I have to say that I really suck at PvP and although I like to play on a PvP/PvE server I rarely do any PvP (maybe I'm just a masochist :

When I started play AoC many, many years ago I started with an Asassin, it seemed so cool but at higher levels I realised I made the wrong choice, as said earlier, it's a glass cannon, deals swift damage but then you gotta run or get killed. I haven't played ToS much but I do like the class, at higher lvls, when specced good the ToS shouldn't be underestimated. Conquerer, never tried it but I did try a Bear Shaman, and imo a BS is just awesome...deals a lot of damage, good self healing abilities and it feels like a fast rhino. At this moment the BS is my favorite class.
    Guardian is fun too, can take a lot, a lot of damage, it is just a hack 'n slash class. With a polearm the Guardian is plain fun.
    Again, this is just my opinion, I'm sure ppl will disagree, also cause PvP is not something I am good at.

Maybe I've helped you a little with choosing...else, just try the classes you mentioned and see which one you like the most.

carnage conqueror is really fun to play class....I think you should give it a chance.

So to answer the question.

Incoming wall of text.

20 is no way near a good place to start deciding what is a good class to play.

Abilities do come slower than most other games, and certain abalities that are key to some classes don't come till post lvl 60. by levle 50 or 60 is the only time you will also have access the end of one tree of feats. And AoC through their feat trees actually can add several new ablities. that become key to the class.

Chooseing a class can be made more exciting (and difficult) because youll have more than one way of playing the class. And some classes at their current balance, really can have several different styles of play that vary so much that it will feel like a different class. (possibly the result of AOC originally having 24 classes that was condensed into 12 with use of feat trees.)

Its a lovely system where most classes seem to have a survival and a dps alternative. And one of the core reasons i keep coming back to this game. and have leveled all 12 classes to 80.

The endgame Advancement options further increase the potential of some builds or can make certain specific class builds more viable. there is a lot of choice and customisation. and its very fun because you arent per say always stuck with a certain role for a particlar class. Ie most tanks can build to be glass cannon dps as opposed to just tanks. Healers can also focus on dps, I guess the rogues and mages are the ones that dont really have an option to either tank nor heal.

ToS is a good choice because as a healer you are needed, but you can also dish out some VERY VERY nice damage end game.

Sin is very fast fun playstyle for my taste, and the conq, is very fun as well, but can be challangeing to tank with without the right gear.

The hox is a very nice alternative to do close in magic and melee damage. whereas some other classes can easy feel too much sit back and click.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    If anyone wants to weigh in with their opinion of the classes, that'd be welcome too!
    Basically level 70 (endfeats) is the point where you get to know of a class. But you should just play a hox cos it's the best.

Out of these three, pick Herald of Xotli!
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Thanks for the responses. Given the answer seems to be "anywhere between 50 to 70", I decided to just pick ToS and stick with it.

As for the rest, that's what extra character slots are for!

Pick whatever interests you, enjoy getting to 80 learning the game and then you can pick a class according to role and play style
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast