Thread: Role-Playing Mannerisms

Smile Role-Playing Mannerisms

Hello, new and old, role-players of Crom!
    I've made this thread to help players be reminded of manners during Role-playing.
    I hope this will be a helpful post and food for thoughts, for both old- and new players!
    It should also be said, that this is not meant to dictate anyone's Role-Playing.
    Instead we hope to enhance the experience for all of us, and for all of you.

Here is our own;
    Role-Playing Guide
    And our own,
    Character Creation Guide
    If you would like to know how we work, and what to expect from us.

What is Role-Playing?
    Simply explained, it's portraying a character within a world, as if it was living inside this world.
    This means having complexed relations to other characters, not unlike ourselves.
    For many, there is a distinct difference between the character and oneself.

What do you mean with Mannerism?
    Mannerism is simply explained as manners.
    How one acts towards others, and in general.

Lacking Mannerisms
    Due to multiple encounters within this area, I felt I'd write this guide and hope it helped not just us, but everyone.
    I'll list a few examples that seems to occur both with new- and old players, and which could really turn an RP-Evening sour.
    Which generally won't be good for anyone.

Table Manners
    I often encounter character who takes a seat by a table without any interaction with the one already seated by the table.
    This could be considered very rude, to characters who have some kind of manners, and they will react thereafter.
    Often the table-guest seems to have no clue, what they did was rude, and take offence- meaning there is a downward spiral which causes a bad mood.

Helpful tip!
    Speak to whomever is seated by the table, or ask if there is place for you by the table, anything really!
    As I imagine, few of us would take a seat by a stranger's table without a word, especially if we're in a new place among new people and alone.

Pets
    I would assume many has seen 'Cujo', by Stephen King, or heard of it. Now, I'm not claiming that all animals are rabid by nature,
    but there are animals with a fierce nature and of considerable size- that could bite a hand off or kick your lungs out.
    Again, I find it a common occurrence that characters approach others animals without care or caution.
    Also, it's very common for a character to simply go up to an animal and pat it, determining it's nature, with complete disregard for how the pet's owner perceives it.
    Nor do people wait for a proper reaction from the owner, on how the animal would respond to a new person.

Helpful tip!
    Again, few of us would walk up to an unknown animal and attempt to pat it.
    If you still decide to play out the "Who's a good puppy?" and cuddle an unknown beast, be aware that you might actually get bitten.
    If you get behind a horse, you might get kicked. So, please people, do not God Emote with other people's pets.
    The owner -knows- it's pet and the pet is a part of the character, you can even call it an extension, just like clothes or weapons.
    Ask if it's safe to pat, or if you are allowed to, or if it's even friendly. It might save you from mutilation or broken ribs!

Commenting, Morals etc
    From where I'm from, commenting loudly on another person present is considered very rude.
    I would think its only logical that the same thing applies in Role-Play, by characters with manners.
    If you discuss someone, above their head, you also loose an opportunity to fun RP as the person may have the answers you're looking for.
    You don't know where Asgard is located?
    Well, discussing your beliefs with people who knows as little as you, without including the person of the location may make players feel put aside.
    Gossiping might have reactions, if you talk loudly for everyone to hear, so keep it mind.

In every game, people seem to have fairly set ethics.
    Ethics they try to force upon other players, completely ignoring how the world works,
    or in some cases making their own world because they can't handle the one they're in.
    Let's face it. Hyboria is not today, it's a low fantasy world, and fantasy is just that; Dark, Grim, Violent and more.
    And Imagination should not suffer under any moral, and especially not under anyone's personal ethics.
    Because such a character will only force it's own values on others in a world where slavery is an established institution.
    If you wish to save all the slaves, it's better done in the real world.
    The same goes for the races that practice human sacrifices.
    In today's society it's not allowed, but in a world where it's a part of a culture,
    because people believe strongly it will please a god- it's simply a normal part of life.

Helpful tip!
    It's great if your character fights for the weak, or is a strong adversary to slavery and human sacrifices.
    Just don't force your own values upon other characters, and throw a fit simply because they won't change on the spot.
    You could research what morals and ethics people had back in the dark ages, to make a comparison.

Picking a fight
    I've witnessed a few times, how someone would throw a punch at another character for no reason at all. Be if physically or verbally.
    Then as the attacked character reacts to it, it's accused of having started the fight.
    This simply is illogical to me, so I thought I'd mention it as well.

Helpful tip!
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It's a winner, really.
    If you wouldn't walk up to someone RL and start a fight at a bar, then don't do it IC either, for no reason.
    Instead discuss it with the player OOC, and ask it they're interested in a small fight.
    That way the player can decline and won't feel disrespected, frustrated etc.

Distances
    This is a common problem due to the range of /Say and /Me, but I believe players should keep it in mind.
    I've also noted how some players may take offence, simply because one decides it's impossible to hear
    a character all across the room of a lively tavern, or a busy street-market etc.

Helpful tip!
    Keep an eye on your own position versus that of the one you want to talk to.
    Also take into account, where you are and if there would be anything interfering with your communication.
    Hushed whispers would be hard to hear in a tavern full of patrons talking, drinking etc.
    Try a shout, if you really want to talk to someone all across a room.

NPC's
    Some players simply ignore the existence of these non-played characters.
    Personally, I find then a good reason to be a little extra mindful of the surroundings.
    Speaking ill of Cimmerians close to an NPC may not cause an actual reaction with guards beating you up, but I do believe it should.
    Same goes for playing thieves stealing things in front of a Trader etc.

Helpful tip!
    Some play at certain NPC's being a part of the surroundings.
    Guards will be guards, and people actually acknowledge them as such.
    Ask how your fellow players perceive them, if you want to be involved in some criminal activity that would cause the guards to notice you.
    Perhaps the player will offer to play the scene with you, to whatever end.

-----------------

I really hope this was a pleasant read, and a helpful guide.
    Even if it turned out really long!

Sincerely,
    /Asfrid
    Last edited by Asfrid; 6th September 2013 at 14:19.