Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Director Letter – August 2013

it would suck to come last in this great race

One of the primary requests we have received from the Player vs Player community are ways to recreate the feeling of rivalry that they felt in the early days of Age of Conan. Open world PvP is often mentioned and in discussing this problem with the designers, we feel that the best direction to take in improving open world PvP are sporadic, controlled events which force players into areas that are unsafe.
    http://vimeo.com/72181117
    you gave it already a remodled t1 boss dropping crap loot making pve'rs run around trying to kill it while pvp'ers stalked pve'rs.

how about you actualy make pvp content that doesnt rely on pve'rs who dont want to pvp to be part of it?

the feeling of rivalry was fully realized in sieges where we broke enemy guilds in burning cinders, it was consensual pvp content wich you never fixed, in aquilonia sieges were happening and despite some being a bit laggy they were almost working, in fury they were infernal lag fests wich if they didnt crash they led more players to leave game then any other bug; funny enough in crom sieges work same as they did on aquilonia server, ever bothered to actualy discover why sieges are like that on fury????

your illogic approach of having players doing pve in order for the same players be the fuel for pvp is big reason why so many players prefer pve servers.
    its funny i write this i sent so many players to pve servers and to quite game i even joined pugs i didnt like to cause wipes in kyllikki raids so i could relog my ranger to kill them while they ran to instance with my buddies.

the only fun and semi consensual world pvp happens usualy in specific more urban like places like pin pin, caravanserai, tarantia commons.
    where a simple gank quickly escalated to a major guild vs guild warfare wich was only debased by guards preventing us to pvp and people bringing low lvl's to exploit criminal system to make us murderers or simply running all the time with dot's to guards.

while you wasting time coding this you could of finaly fixed minigame group bug and teleprot/ join window bug wich makes you ocupy space in minigame while not getting window to be teleported there.
    you could adjust ingame arenas with a sign up system and pvp rewards quests.
    you could adjust pvp gear for pvp because for some classes its crap.

but no....making a new server from scratch to compete in pve to reach lvl80 first is your great plan for pvp.

newsflash the pvp'rs joining wont pass lvl40 they will just stalk around players trying to lvl up, and that is if they bother doing that instead of playing theyr mains.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

please listen to Noite on this, he's spot on..

Quote Originally Posted by Osireis View Post
    it would suck to come last in this great race
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPFMzskXZvY

Quote Originally Posted by noite80 View Post

the feeling of rivalry was fully realized in sieges where we broke enemy guilds in burning cinders, it was consensual pvp content wich you never fixed, in aquilonia sieges were happening and despite some being a bit laggy they were almost working, in fury they were infernal lag fests wich if they didnt crash they led more players to leave game then any other bug; funny enough in crom sieges work same as they did on aquilonia server, ever bothered to actualy discover why sieges are like that on fury????
    That's a lie Sieges where never consensual PvP. It's still one guild attacking an other imposing the attack.
    When full PvP guild forced Two allied PvE guild to siege every two day it wasn't consensual and not that appreciated. I'm not talking about farming them in sieges. But they wanted to gear up in BRC instead of sieging. (While we, losing side wanted to get the siege by preventing them from rebuilding it, almost worked)
    Or more common scenarios with guilds not defending when attacked by a guild they considered have low chances of winning against ( demonized to keep a clean conscience)
    The main diffrence in sieges i see between Stygia french RP-PvP server and Fury sieges is we didn't have 30 demos per siege. I believe it has an impact on Latency.

PvP back in the days was far from consensual. It was imposed and players just stuck with it because they hadn't reach the "i'm not going to leave them the satisfaction of killing me" point and because guilds actually wanted to keep the "we're tough" reputation. That's what screwed PvP guild rivalries. Guilds not giving a **** about how their players acted as long as they where sucessful in PvE. Once the notion of reputation dissapeared from the big guilds dominating the server and was replaced by efficience then open-world truly fell down the drain.

Bori alike World Bosses has the same approach. Go somewhere do something and expect having pvp. Open-world goes beyond the usual divisions of PvE and PvP. Nothing is that clear. You are in Open-world you can do PvE, or PvP or both. But having something to do their in the first place is the only thing triggering PvP.

Take Mortal Online's open-world. You're walking around taming horses in plaines. It's PvE. But you're 15min walk away from safe places. PvP is more than likely to happen either hope or prepare for it. And there's the hole fun of it. Same goes with the World Bosses. Go there, and either hope you'll be alone and safe or prepare yourself and organize your groupe to face the arrival of hunters.
    Last edited by Vehl; 5th September 2013 at 14:28.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Gief the lifetime subscription as reward and it could be real race :>
    Cripples gonna cripple

Quote Originally Posted by noite80 View Post
    http://vimeo.com/72181117
    you gave it already a remodled t1 boss dropping crap loot making pve'rs run around trying to kill it while pvp'ers stalked pve'rs.

how about you actualy make pvp content that doesnt rely on pve'rs who dont want to pvp to be part of it?

your illogic approach of having players doing pve in order for the same players be the fuel for pvp is big reason why so many players prefer pve servers.
    its funny i write this i sent so many players to pve servers and to quite game i even joined pugs i didnt like to cause wipes in kyllikki raids so i could relog my ranger to kill them while they ran to instance with my buddies.

the only fun and semi consensual world pvp happens usualy in specific more urban like places like pin pin, caravanserai, tarantia commons.
    where a simple gank quickly escalated to a major guild vs guild warfare wich was only debased by guards preventing us to pvp and people bringing low lvl's to exploit criminal system to make us murderers or simply running all the time with dot's to guards.

while you wasting time coding this you could of finaly fixed minigame group bug and teleprot/ join window bug wich makes you ocupy space in minigame while not getting window to be teleported there.
    you could adjust ingame arenas with a sign up system and pvp rewards quests.
    you could adjust pvp gear for pvp because for some classes its crap.

but no....making a new server from scratch to compete in pve to reach lvl80 first is your great plan for pvp.

newsflash the pvp'rs joining wont pass lvl40 they will just stalk around players trying to lvl up, and that is if they bother doing that instead of playing theyr mains.
    Most Epic Video EVER!!!!!!!! I LOVE that type of PvPvE. IMO, that's what this game needs more of!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    You either like the game or you don't. If you are hanging around because you feel like I am stringing you along with false promises, don't.

To me it is simple. If you want open world PVP, unchained minis and gear not to matter. Put unchained minis on the NEW server so people will reroll on that server and pvp at all levels and not have to worry about the PVE grind. PvP should give just as much XP if not more XP as quests. This would allow us to PVP and level at the same time. Sieges should be able to take place without building a t3 city. Because farming rocks does not appeal to PVPers. We are here for the competitions and nonstop action of adversity against real people. Not mobs and rocks.

If unchained minis are on the new server people will be more accepting to rerolling because all of that "hard work" won't matter because gear won't matter and it will be based on player skill.

Open world PVP will be the time to see your characters gear play a role but PVE gear in PVP still needs to be addressed.

Also, PVP gear needs more options. I want armor to choose from just like in pve. Maybe I want an evade set or a crit set, or a high critigation set to defend against someone using the crit set. 3 different tiers of armor that only off protection vs casters is not enough.

I want to mix and match my pvp gear that is made for pvp. Not mix and match my pve gear for pvp. You said so your self adjusting stats is easy. Take the same gear skins or some old ones and adjust them to have different stats. That alone would make me happy camper.

Are the server merges happening next week?

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Are the server merges happening next week?
    Ofc, nop ;]

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpos...6&postcount=47
    We will be Serious after death.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast