Thread: Rome 2

Default Rome 2

gona DL today should be the best one yet.anyone get it aswell?
    Rage:GanksKahn pvp 8 Tos:fails at healing

Got it but performance and visuals are too poor (even on the very best computers) for me to enjoy it so far. It's not like TW games change much gameplay wise with every new episode so atm I may as well play the original Rome TW (yes Rome 2 really looks that bad, even when you try to run extreme settings the game automatically scales down the visuals without telling you - and even on the best rigs textures are poor) and I'll just miss naval battles.

The point of Rome 2 for me was basically to play Rome 1 again with better visuals, occasional naval battles (or mixed land/sea battles) and playing campaigns with factions other than Romans - without modding the game etc.

Gameplay wise it suits me fine really (maybe dumbed down a little like some are saying but I don't really care) but technical issues are really over the top. I've watched streams of people who say they have "no issues" and they actually get poor visuals and performance... like everyone else
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Some text

I don't care about performance issues as they can be fixed, but the game play, thats main problem. First of all it is way too arcade styled. Quick battles without any strategy (quick compare would be: Old games are AoC 1.4 and Roma 2 would be AoC 2.0), the one who has few stacks better soldiers win it. Units have lots of so called MMORPG skills, not anymore they act like soldiers with secondary skill/weapon, now they can use "boost" abilities which have some cool down, Shogun 2 had this, but only in few cases. Also, UI in battles is way too big, even on 1080p resolution, it takes over half screen just to show generals face and unitbar

Second, campaign map is very unclear and there is not really any info what those buttons and stats on units do. Seems like it was made thinking about future consol port? Maybe, it would be easy to use with controller

If anyone has played Empire: Total War, then you know what to expect from this game. Laggy, buggy, dumbed down combat, no strategy at all, no family tree, no reason to have that exact character to lead your empire

So far imo rankings for these games.

Rome Total War
    Shogun 2 Total War
    Medieval 2 Total War
    Modded any Total War
    Napoleon Total War
    Rome 2 Total War
    Empire Total War

I think they hyped too much this game and said it will be flagship of TW series. Same exact thing happened with Heroes 6 of might and magic (Company did bankrupt soon after game was released).
    Does flagship mean that you dump down mechanics and market it much so casuals buy it? TW games always have been lived because of modding and hardcore fans playing them. I think this one meet same fate as Empire did, hated game which fans quickly forget

Not ranting or anything, just so disappointed about this game. Years of waiting for nothing

Pros

- Cultures, loads of them
    - Campaign map is huge and interesting

Cons

- Everything else
    Last edited by JinDjw; 4th September 2013 at 18:41.

After playing it some more I sadly feel more or less the same. http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...of-the-casual?

Good summary I guess :/
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Game is great

Of course it was over hyped, that's how they going to make money.

The game itself its still epic and amazing.
    Sure there are performance problems but if you tweak the settings around you can fix most of the small bugs(texture) etc

The gameplay, many people complain about it being too fast, sure but I like the fast paced gameplay. Rome 1 Was too slow. I fell asleep many times during battle..
    The current battle time could use a slight increase IE average right now battle are around 6-10min
    It would be good if they increased it to 8-12 minute.. 15 at the most.

The bad part is the freakin gigantic UI like WTF it blocks half the screen.

And then the AI in campaign needs some tweaking.

Done.

8/10

I like when battles are about 40-2h
    10 min is too arcade for me, if i want that i go play CoD

No wonder, it is getting console port

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ins-everything

Welcome CoD players
    Last edited by JinDjw; 5th September 2013 at 12:36.

I have not had a chance to play it yet, but I was hoping their next title would be World War I since that would have been the next time frame.

It would have been interesting to see artillery, version 1.0 tanks. armored cars, trench warfare, and air and naval support put into a Total War without all the buggy mods in Shogun II.
    Doomsayer 2008

Scary ... I really enjoyed Shogun to Rome ... after it all wen't downhill .. Empire .. FFS terrible, Shogun 2 .. meh .. now Rome 2 seems meh.

If you are into strategy map more than battles map, there is only 1 strategy game worthy of playing now .. Europa Universalis 4. (also highest user rated game on Metacritic now)

Warning: EU4 may cause frustration and/or a lot of head-scratching until you work out just how flipping complex it is. Just remember (if you aren't playing Ironman mode .. press ` key (tilde) and type Cash to get 5000 coins.

Be prepared to spend 100 hours just learning what to do