Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newly retuned to AoC, Looking for group PvP, etc...

@Jin... Thanks for that! That makes a lot of good sense. I'll have to think about that.

I made a Conq on Tyranny. Having fun again! Gonna see what I can learn about SPEC now... On the appropriate page, LMAO...

Thanks for the help y'all!!
    Last edited by Urthling; 28th August 2013 at 05:24.

Give a try to dark templar too, it's the one tank with the highest dps in game, the most OP class in AoC actually.

DT kinda like a DK in WoW? Which spec do you recommend--Soldier?

No idea about what a DK in WoW is.

Dark templar is one of the soldiers, with conq and guard, it's their archetype.

But the DT basically relies on magical abilities to deal damage and tank, its main strength being to leech life from its foes.

So as a DT, the more damage you deal, the more HP you get in return. Thus, even in tank specc, you can chose an extremely aggressive path and still be able to take a beating thanks to that health tap.

It's been 2-3 years that DT has been a subject of complaints from other classes because of its ability to deal insane damage and getting from it an insane survivibility.

That being said, a DT uses a sword and a shield, or a sword and a talisman when building in a more aggressive way.

Quote Originally Posted by Urthling View Post
    DT kinda like a DK in WoW? Which spec do you recommend--Soldier?
    DT is a soldier class which also does unholy damage. In that sense, you can compare it to DKs in WoW, but their mechanics are rather different and DTs are nowhere as emo

DTs use either 1H+shield (~tank) or 1H+talisman (~dps). The reason why this is a very rough approximation is that, with one AA and good gear, DTs can tank with a dps spec, and do very high dps even when running a tank spec. They can also wear wisdom / magic damage gear instead of soldier armour (heavy / full plate) to push out ridiculous dps, at the expense of survivability. All of this makes DT a very versatile and powerful class in PvE, and you will read a lot of QQ on these forums that it needs a nerf.

In PvP, things are rather different because, while they have high survivability and high dps, DTs are relatively easy to control. So in PvP, you will hear more QQ about Conquerors than about DTs (though there's quite a bit about DTs as well).
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Good info, Mellaus & Rathothis... I've rolled a DT now and will see what I think... Thanks! OOOPS. Deleted him, LMAO. Took a look at all the Unholy stuff and decided its prolly not for me. Not that I'm all "Holy" or something, but I just don't care much for playing a character that gets its powers from the "dark arts."
    _____

There's a LOT that I do not yet understand about AoC (what an AA is, etc...) but I know that as I level up it will all make more sense...
    Last edited by Urthling; 28th August 2013 at 19:07.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=180831

If you haven't checked out this thread on godslayer it might answer a lot of your questions.

Hmmm... reading up on DT on the forum, and looking at the ability trees... Very similar to WoW's Death Knight in some ways. Enough that I'm not sure I want to play one. I've had a few DK's in WoW but never fully leveled them because all the "UNHOLY" crap just really doesn't sit well with me. Yes, its a game. Nevertheless, I just don't care to play a character that relies on "UNHOLY" abilities...

I guess that's what I most like about the 'regular' warriors... they are mighty without resorting (much) to underworldly means...

Quote Originally Posted by Urthling View Post
    Hmmm... reading up on DT on the forum, and looking at the ability trees... Very similar to WoW's Death Knight in some ways. Enough that I'm not sure I want to play one. I've had a few DK's in WoW but never fully leveled them because all the "UNHOLY" crap just really doesn't sit well with me. Yes, its a game. Nevertheless, I just don't care to play a character that relies on "UNHOLY" abilities...

I guess that's what I most like about the 'regular' warriors... they are mighty without resorting (much) to underworldly means...
    The funny thing about DT is that, in terms of gameplay, it doesn't feel like you are playing a class which is doing unholy damage. Almost all of the unholy damage you do on DT actually comes from procs rather than from active abilities. (From what little I remember, WoW's DK is different in that regard, with all the diseases etc.)

Nevertheless, guards and conqs do fit the brawny soldier archetype better than DT does (besides, DT benefits from wisdom, while proper soldiers eschew INT and WIS ).
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12