Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing the game without steam

Default Installing the game without steam

Hey guys,
    I played this game some years back and thought of giving it a try again.
    so i grabbed my old retail version.
    after a painfully long installation i tried to run the patcher and i only got an error message.
    so the game couldnt patch. any solution?

so then i tried to download the game from the homepage but for some reason the patcher restarts my computer and i have to start downloading the whole 19gb again...

Is there any solution for any of those two problems?

running XP

thank you in advance

XP is the problem. It is no longer supported.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Quote Originally Posted by Khronn View Post
    so this means i cant play with XP?
    Correct. Get Windows 7 or 8.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Last week i played from an xp computer. Why was then nothing in the patch notes that winxp and aoc are incompatible now? So, i seriously doubt, halfdead is right. I might update this post, when i tried it again this week.

Usually when software restarts your pc, i would advice getting an external antivirus scanner and let it run. Also it could be your motherboard is at fault (had similar symptoms there).

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    Last week i played from an xp computer. Why was then nothing in the patch notes that winxp and aoc are incompatible now? So, i seriously doubt, halfdead is right. I might update this post, when i tried it again this week.

Usually when software restarts your pc, i would advice getting an external antivirus scanner and let it run. Also it could be your motherboard is at fault (had similar symptoms there).
    XP was no longer supported when ROTG launched. I was forced to upgrade as certain zones had terrible lag, from an email from support I was told to upgrade to Win7 to fix it. If you somehow get it to run, I doubt it'll run correctly. XP is no longer a viable OS for gaming, or anything for that matter, nothing but a cesspool for the easiest viruses to swamp your machine.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Nice trolling

OP, don't install the game from the old discs - grab the installer from your account page.
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 30th August 2013 at 05:35.

Well I did install it with CD a year ago or 2. Wasn't a problem.
    Isn't it just a problem with this file that has the server adress or something that you just have to copy paste ?

Anyway an email to the help page from funcom website will help. They answered really fast last time I had a problem.

just outta curiosity, is your CD's before AoC went F2P ?

there may had been a change to the update server for the launcher, that does not read the older version you may have (something like that).

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    XP was no longer supported when ROTG launched. I was forced to upgrade as certain zones had terrible lag, from an email from support I was told to upgrade to Win7 to fix it. If you somehow get it to run, I doubt it'll run correctly. XP is no longer a viable OS for gaming, or anything for that matter, nothing but a cesspool for the easiest viruses to swamp your machine.
    I think the info from support was false then. Sure, xp has some disadvantages with a memory intensive and leaking game as AoC, but i works just fine for me AND is listed on the package from both standard AoC and RotGs. In return i have not certain bugs, i have under windows 7.
    What is true is, that xp is not supported by microsoft anymore...but RotGs still had xp (even VISTA!) advertised on the package, so the info they are not supporting it, is kind of fishy unless there have been official patchnotes stating "xp is no longer supported since version a.b.c" (maybe i overlooked them, but i really don't think there has been such a note).

XP might not be viable for your games, but there are plenty of games working only on xp and not on 7 or 8. Also the virus part you mention is plainly wrong (though win7 at first was definitely a safety improvement) and would only be true, if your antivir would not be supported and upgraded as well.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 31st August 2013 at 09:17.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast