Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Still no word on when the merge is happening?

Default Still no word on when the merge is happening?

Give us a date or something...

Can't transfer can't do anything playing on dead server.. my god funcom

Yep, we are starting to run out of time in August....

If it doesn't happen this month I think I'm about done here, Funcom's done many mergers in aoc. It's not rocket science, the majority of it is just data transfers serverside
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Funcom

It is happening the first week of September and unfortunately I was only informed of this after I had written the last GD letter (It was always scheduled for 2nd week of August before that).

The reasons are pretty simple:
    - The development servers were moved from Montreal to North Carolina last weekend (this requires a lot of work from both operations and various tools coders). The purpose of that move is to speed up our work by having all resources local.
    - The Oslo branch is moving to a new office this weekend (26th) and Operations are on the hook for a new server room and moving an entire office of employees.

The merge for AoC this time is completely different to any other merge we have done before and I can explain that as well.

EU and US servers haven't been merged in the past which hasn't been a big deal because the merges were done within each universe (we use that as our internal name for a region). Now we are merging two "universes" together, and the unfortunate part is that they share IDs (apparently it was never considered that we would merge them at launch).
    So we are now forced to resequence the IDs of everything in one of the universes.
    It's a complex process, especially considering the sheer amount of data involved.

In short, this is a high risk merge and something that operations doesn't dare to squeeze in the cracks between moving development servers and entire offices.

I do apologize for the delay, but these factors are out of my hands.
    Last edited by Nusquam; 21st August 2013 at 07:13.

Damn you unexpected obstacles, why are you keep getting in Funcom's way?
    Retired

How inconvenient...
    I hope funcom makes good backups before messing with the IDs...

I will make a few screenshots...just in case my barbarian wakes up with a different beard and a female arm wielding a dagger!

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    So we are now forced to resequence the IDs of everything in one of the universes.
    It's a complex process, especially considering the sheer amount of data involved.

In short, this is a high risk merge and something that operations doesn't dare to squeeze in the cracks between moving development servers and entire offices.

I do apologize for the delay, but these factors are out of my hands.
    Hire some professionals! because i dont think the current funcom team is capable of such a complex process sorry if that sounds blunt but going by the last small updates i feel you need outside help

Thanks for the info! I just booked myself a vacation for 1 week for September just to save myself from this misery time I send you postcard and pic of Mojito from the beach. Enjoy the very hot fixes while i enjoy hot weather and beach.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast