Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal class for finding groups

Default Ideal class for finding groups

First off please overlook any typos, doing this from my phone which hates me.

I (for all intents and purposes) am a new player. I played at launch and again a few years later for a couple months but its been at least two years since I've played. I have an 80 ToS and Necro neither with any AA. I have subbed so if I understand the AA bonus correctly I'll receive quite a few to spend if I level a new class instead of grinding out on my existing. Because of this I've decided to level a new toon to get the points and relearn the game.

My question is if there is a certain class which is easier to get into groups with. I have a few classes which interest me. My big four/five are the bear shaman, dark templar (or conqueror), barbarian, and herald of xotli (sp). As much as I enjoy fighters the dt/conq are intimidating only because the tank is expected to know all the pulls and strats in a game this old. Why I grouped them together since the concern is the same on both. The bs seems like a nice mix of warrior and support which I imagine would be sought after. The barb just looks fun but imagine dps exclusive slots are hard to find. Same applies to the hox though it does look like a ton of fun to play.

TLDR version: what class is most desirable at 80 for group play (pve/pvp)

Heya! If you exclude tanks, the easiest way to get in groups is from healers POM, from rogues sin & barb from mages demo & necro.

As you say hox is really fun to play but you only get the left over spot if group needs an extra dps (I play hox atm and I do go to groups but this is the situation atm)

I dont know why but rangers are not so welcomed to groups (at least this is my feeling maybe i am wrong).

TOS,BS its easy to get an invite but PoM is always the 1st choice.

For pvp now things are a bit different only concerning ranger with his tracking ability PoM is OP, Tanks are OP, especialy conq (at least for me I dont want to raise any hate in thread). Sins can be really strong, same barbs. Tos has pvp issues. BS needs a bit buff at end lvl. Demos are really good, Necros are good but have troubles when focued (and they need a revamp to be honest many broken feats I read here and there). I leave hox for last Again you have fun playing with him but dont think a hox will be a choice for group pvp at lvl 80 (at lower lvls hox are great).
    Last edited by jenyu; 18th August 2013 at 22:42.
    Jenyu - Assassin
    Lutheor - Herald Of Xotli
    Destiny

"Now you see me, now you don't"

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm trying to stay away from caster classes so the pom probably isn't the best thing for me. (Already have necro/tos).

Am I pretty close on the expectation for tanks to know all pulls and fights or are groups understanding of someone learning? As it stands bs is looking like my best option if my assumption on groups with new tanks is correct. Barb and hox both look great (especially hox) but you confirmed suspicion that those would be classes to fill first.

on crom i think tos/pom is easiest class to get squeezed into any group pve instance.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Quote Originally Posted by Barbrady View Post
    Am I pretty close on the expectation for tanks to know all pulls and fights or are groups understanding of someone learning?
    For hard modes it will be expected of you. I would do the following:

Join a guild.
    Level up with as few offline levels as possible so you learn your class well.
    Then do old world dungeons such as Atzels fort, Xibaluku and Iron tower to hone your skills and learn group dynamics in AoC.
    Then start doing Khitai/new world normal modes, and once you have those tactics down and some better gear you can start doing hard modes.

Alternativly you can join a guild and let them carry you through hard modes, and therby bypassing proper learning and fun dungeons

On Set, pretty much any class is accepted for raids and groups. The only limitation being having the needed archetype AAs for Khitai six-mans. And for raids, no class goes unwanted - if only to keep from having loot rot.

That being said, a tank or healer will have a slight edge on getting into groups as there are twice as many pure dps classes to choose from.

Obviously it is simple arithmetic that there are more pure dps classes around than healers/tanks. Most of the time I see pve groups looking for tanks. On the other side of the equation, it is harder to be accepted into a group as a tank because a lot of the puggers think gear=skill. If you join a group as a tank/healer and you fail to kill a boss, it is likely that you'll have to shoulder a big chunk of the blame no matter the actual reason. Especially if you are a poorly geared character people may try to replace you without looking at their own shortcomings.

My advice would be: do not be discouraged by this and try to stick to the class you enjoy the most. Joining a guild that suits your play style and ambitions can be really beneficial both in terms of learning your class and finding groups that are patient with the learning process.
    Macduff(guard) Duffster(conq) Zacknafein(dt)
    Gedwyn(bs) Relind(pom) Onerio(tos)
    Pyrox(hox) Yorick(necro) Luthien(demo)
    Leartes(ranger) Skalld(barb) Mercutio(sin)

Tos is the easiest for me, you can be heals or DPS depending on what the group needs, and the self heal is key sometimes.

Ranger or sin with TW/FH is also easy.

Just think like this: What class does everygroup need and what is the least played class in that list?

Tank, Healer, DPS...

Tos or BS in my opinion. The game is overflowing with DT, Conq, Rogues and Mages. Hox is as others say the "random dps" spot, since it takes some effort on becoming good at it and even then, you will likely be lower than half the group (if proper players as well) on damage meter.

Bear Shaman would probably be the "in-demand" class. Would not recommend POM as people often mistake that for a pure healer. In AoC all classes are "dps" but some of them can tank, some of them can heal, and some of them should dps better than others, if you know what I mean by that confusing sentence...

I would say there's a large difference here between 6-man and raid groups.

HoXen, for instance, are not in high demand in 6-mans, but find it fairly easy to get into raids, where you have bind on pickup gear for specific classes and it's therefore desirable to have all of them represented.
    Quæ tam fera immanisque natura? - Cicero, Pro Sexto Roscio
    ------
    Heraclea (conq)--Hippolyte (rgr)--Ursamaior (BS)--Turandot (demo)--Nhutruong (DT)--Grignette (barb)--Haboob (HoX)--Androctone (guard)--Almawt (sin)--Dysphemia (necro)
    讓我給你讀你的內臟

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast