Thread: Minimum Armor Threshold in Raid Instances?

Default Minimum Armor Threshold in Raid Instances?

I've been told plenty of times that raid instances have an armor threshold for tanks. They say if you fail to reach that you take extra damage from bosses. I really want confirmation/clarification on this.

I'm running a protection tanking spec on my conq and dt and in those builds I skip points in iron skin to get improved defensive and further boost my magical mitigations. This means I usually have 5-6% less mitigation than a regular tank build. I'm using protecton build for fights like brothers demo, louhi, thoth amon, emperor, which are completely magical damage fights.

My hesitation is about whether I would fail this threshold with such a build.

I did a small test last night on my conq against emperor. I charged emperor in t4 with maximum possible armor and 57.5% melee mitigation. Then I repeated the same thing later keeping my protection the same by removing parts that don't give protection. I had lower than 40% melee mitigation. In both cases I had the same magical mitigations and boss hit me for the same amount of damage (ignoring crits)

So questions:
    Is there a thing like an armor threshold for raid instances like t3 or t4?

If so, does it effect magical hitting bosses? Maybe they have their own magical mitigation threshold that you must pass?

If there exists an armor threshold then it must be above 57.5% for t4? In that case it is a tad bit too high for me to bother passing on dt or conq.

Anybody tested this issue at all or is it just a myth?
    Macduff(guard) Duffster(conq) Zacknafein(dt)
    Gedwyn(bs) Relind(pom) Onerio(tos)
    Pyrox(hox) Yorick(necro) Luthien(demo)
    Leartes(ranger) Skalld(barb) Mercutio(sin)

those thresholds were introduced in patch 1.05, when they replaced that heroic stat on gear .. dunno about the exact % tho

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/updat...system_changes

We are removing the system with using heroic rating proficiencies on equipment. We are introducing a system with a similar effect, but we are instead checking against more natural statistics. The new system will only apply to raids.

For a tank being hit by a raid monster, there is a threshold value for armor being checked. If the tank meets or exceeds this value no damage adjustments are done except the normal ones. If the tank does not meet the armor threshold value the damage dealt to him is increased based on the amount of deficiency. This penalty comes in addition to the reduced amount of mitigation caused by having less armor. The value checked does not include contributions from temporary buffs, only from feats and items.

Such checks are also in place for combat rating, spell damage and protection. There is also a special case in which meeting your armor threshold also makes you automatically meet your combat rating threshold, but of course it still does not actually increase your combat rating. The actual threshold values will vary between classes.

on your test you should lower your protection instead of armor and check the incoming dmg, because on magic dmg dealing bosses it is protection threshold instead of armor threshold, I guess (but some T2-3 boss would be prolly better suited for this experiment, since you can take more hits to compare)
    Last edited by Argantes; 13th August 2013 at 07:11.

This is the reason I was telling people Epic > Blue when Khitai came out and (almost) everyone rushed to get Critigation blues to tank in and took more damage.

we tested emporer it doesnt have any treshhold neither armor nor prot. Not sure if its just an exemption or if its the same for all magical bosses

Since the quote says armor, it's probably for physical hits and works off of Armor total. Also there were very few caster raidmobs back then.

My guess is 50% armor mitigation for t3 and 55% for t4 and that is including feats and gear but not buffs.
    Baneric / Munok / Johnkruk / Tomjones / Elgranorgo

US first kills - Arch Lector Zaal, Bat of Nerd Rage, Emperor, Cloud, and Entity.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    Since the quote says armor, it's probably for physical hits and works off of Armor total. Also there were very few caster raidmobs back then.
    The quote says protection too. So if they kept that system in place for newer raids, all the different stats listed will have their thresholds. It is simply difficult to properly test if this invisible system is still in effect.