Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What factions to go with for a ToS?

Why do you want a tank ring for a tos, it doesn't make sense except in PvP.

Spec Set's empowerment, Vitality of Set AA.
    Take accessories with some constitution but still magic damage focused (a couple dreamer's keepsake is still over the top for a starter tos).
    If you want to keep a decent amount of HP, avoid thoses factions weapons and necklace except if you really need to boost your heal rating.
    Otherwise, t3 weapons and accessories are very nice and most of them keeps a decent amount of constitution.

The death ward (and/or equivalent aka AoK ring) is a must have for every single class imo, i got it on all my characters and have use of it and quite a number of places/encounters.
    {Circle of Eternity}
    Mellaus
    Lachdanann dt | Aldebarrand guard | Ataraxes demo | Tangorogrim tos | Aranruth barb | Demether pom | Errant ranger | Diluvien sin | Hekatomb necro | Haemmer bs | Nyarlathotep tos

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    The death ward (and/or equivalent aka AoK ring) is a must have for every single class imo, i got it on all my characters and have use of it and quite a number of places/encounters.
    is right, my friend. Few people realize that the most important thing is to survive and 50 critigal ratings help you anyway to do more damage and heal. I keep it on my finger left almost all my characters, including the barbarian and save exceptions you just have to cut your finger to remove it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cynara View Post
    You might be interested in my comparison of priest armor sets:
    http://cynarablog.wordpress.com/2012...st-armor-sets/

The Scarlet Circle mage set doesn't make much sense for a priest - the amount of magic damage is the same as on their priest set, and it has less armor and no heal rating.
    What is the formula you use to calculate dps/magic damage for the items? Sorry if you listed it on there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. And will the formula work for individual pieces?

If you want to keep a decent amount of HP, avoid thoses factions weapons and necklace except if you really need to boost your heal rating.
    I can get a lot faster enough moa's and rare trophies then relics...

Quote Originally Posted by NorseSig View Post
    What is the formula you use to calculate dps/magic damage for the items? Sorry if you listed it on there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. And will the formula work for individual pieces?
    I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to ask. For a priest, magic damage can be present directly on an item, or it can come from wisdom, where each point of wisdom gives you 0.6 points of magic damage. So from that point of view, the formula is simply [effective magic damage] = 0.6 * [wisdom] + [direct magic damage]. This effective magic damage is what I used in the comparison linked to in my previous post.

But if you're asking how much does a piece of gear contribute to the actual damage that you'd do, on average, in some sort of fight, that would be a lot more complicated to model, it would depend on the fight and your spell rotation (how does your magic damage increase the amount of damage actually done by a spell? this turns out to be a linear function, but its slope is different for each spell), etc. You'd need to take into account other stats on the item(s) that also affect your damage, e.g. things like hit rating (which decreases the chance that the enemy will resist your spells), critical rating (increases the chance of critical hits), critical damage rating (increases the bonus damage that you do when you make a critical hit).

And these stats interact with each other, so a formula couldn't really evaluate an individual item without knowing something about your character's existing stats. For example, an item might have some critical damage rating. This increases the damage of your critical hits, so the amount of damage that this really gives you depends on how often you crit (i.e. on your critical chance, which depends on the rest of your gear, possibly your feat build, group buffs, etc.).

Likewise, if an item has hit rating, this might be a useful contribution to your DPS if you're fighting an enemy that has a high amount of immunity (e.g. a high-tier raid boss), but if your hit rating from the rest of your gear/feats/etc. was already high enough for the enemies you were dealing with, then increasing it still further won't make much of a difference.

As a general idea, and ignoring the issue of hit rating and having the enemy resist your spells, you could afaik try to go with something along the lines of [damage done] = (C1 + C2 * [effective magic damage]) * (1 + [critical chance] * (0.5 + [critical bonus damage])), where the constants C1 and C2 depend on the spell you're looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by cynara View Post
    I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to ask. For a priest, magic damage can be present directly on an item, or it can come from wisdom, where each point of wisdom gives you 0.6 points of magic damage. So from that point of view, the formula is simply [effective magic damage] = 0.6 * [wisdom] + [direct magic damage]. This effective magic damage is what I used in the comparison linked to in my previous post.

But if you're asking how much does a piece of gear contribute to the actual damage that you'd do, on average, in some sort of fight, that would be a lot more complicated to model, it would depend on the fight and your spell rotation (how does your magic damage increase the amount of damage actually done by a spell? this turns out to be a linear function, but its slope is different for each spell), etc. You'd need to take into account other stats on the item(s) that also affect your damage, e.g. things like hit rating (which decreases the chance that the enemy will resist your spells), critical rating (increases the chance of critical hits), critical damage rating (increases the bonus damage that you do when you make a critical hit).

And these stats interact with each other, so a formula couldn't really evaluate an individual item without knowing something about your character's existing stats. For example, an item might have some critical damage rating. This increases the damage of your critical hits, so the amount of damage that this really gives you depends on how often you crit (i.e. on your critical chance, which depends on the rest of your gear, possibly your feat build, group buffs, etc.).

Likewise, if an item has hit rating, this might be a useful contribution to your DPS if you're fighting an enemy that has a high amount of immunity (e.g. a high-tier raid boss), but if your hit rating from the rest of your gear/feats/etc. was already high enough for the enemies you were dealing with, then increasing it still further won't make much of a difference.

As a general idea, and ignoring the issue of hit rating and having the enemy resist your spells, you could afaik try to go with something along the lines of [damage done] = (C1 + C2 * [effective magic damage]) * (1 + [critical chance] * (0.5 + [critical bonus damage])), where the constants C1 and C2 depend on the spell you're looking at.
    These are exactly what I was looking for. Thank You. I apologize for not being more clear. I'm trying to maximize my khitai gear on my tos for a good balance of heal rating and damage. I have decided on a mix of yellow priests and scarlet circle, and I needed a way to evaluate the pieces a little closer. I want to lean a little more to the healer side of things without tanking my dps. I know many say you don't need to maximize things so much in this game, but I enjoy the challenge of it.

I would recommend the AoC>TV:Armoury website as a place to go to compare the various sets of armour that you plan to mix & match. It has an armour builder tool which you can drag and drop the pieces onto and then compare the resulting statistics. You can open this tool multiple times on the screen so you can build the multiple options to compare them on one screen.

Regarding armour - I would recommend the two Shivering stars purples (belt and shoulders) that can be obtained for rares & coin from the Dragonspine vendor. In comparison to the SC pieces - they have much higher heal rating, higher constitution, about the same wisdom, magic damage and Crit damage rating, but do lack hit rating. In comparison to the Yellow Priest of yun pieces - they have higher heal rating, wisdom and magic damage, about the same constitution and crit damage rating.

Yeah, good advice about DS armors, they are very nice and hit rating isn't a serious issue before end of T4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12