Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Director Letter – July 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    This is the last of the server merges, once the pop dies after this, and it will inevitably happen, there is nothing left. It shouldn't even be at this point. If they had bothered to listen to the community 4 years ago, or put forth any effort, they wouldn't have needed budget cuts/layoffs/restructuring. They asked for their own doom.
    I asked the question after the last 2 mergers,"Given the rate of server mergers, how much time is left before the game dies all together?" I'd say AoC is staying the course on that one. Sad considering I've been here since early entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillee View Post
    I tried to give Joel and the new team every benefit of a doubt. That goodwill is pretty much gone where I'm concerned.

As mentioned above, you have a simple game breaking rez box bug that has been present for the last few months. I've been told it is fixed on TL, though I haven't seen that for myself. But if so, why is that not on live by now? Joel said when he took over that he planned to implement regular maintenance. 6 months in, how is that not began?

6 months of the new team, and we have nothing to show for it. All we get are vague notions of future content, and excuses as to why the content done by the previous team hasn't been polished and published to the servers.

If someone who loves the game and has been dedicated to it as much as I have is out of patience, I can only imagine that those who have been wavering on whether to stay are done with AOC, or will be soon.
    If you actually paid attention you would know that the new team has not been formed 6 months ago. There have been problems with getting the guys settled ec. That is why the content has been pushed back. Now the team is finalized (as far as I know) and the contetn development will speed up...

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    Its August, and the new dungeon hasn't been released, they have done NOTHING this entire year so far besides smoke and mirrors.

Unchained versions of 3 worthless dungeons that are just a recycled difficulty/gear change, and will take until the end of the year to go on live. People will give up on them quick.

And still, nothing is happening until the end of August, at least they claim. Keep paying those subs to fund TSW content though.

This exactly. This recycled stuff isnt content, it isnt what the game needs. The game needs GAME SYSTEMS.

Wake up funcom, are you in a coma?

Quote Originally Posted by Azanath1979 View Post
    If you actually paid attention you would know that the new team has not been formed 6 months ago. There have been problems with getting the guys settled ec. That is why the content has been pushed back. Now the team is finalized (as far as I know) and the contetn development will speed up...
    After all we've witnessed hard to believe you buy their nonsense.

Well, I don't know if anyone reads these from FC beyond the many non constructive rants of others; but FC ... good letter.

Developing takes time, people will complain and that's part of the deal. But overall, this is good work. The event system is huge, the initial workings of achievement system is fantastic.

From a paying customer's perspective ... i get it as I am one. But, from a developer/designers perspective I understand. It's like dancing with an elephant (or mabus' mom), you have to move slow and it takes time.

Thanks for the update,

Koji the fail~
    Strategos of Immortal Souls

Where it the hot fixes to various bugs that have been there for months ?????? You know that you not only should provide the content you have been talking now for a year already but you should also constantly be fixing bugs ! ....
    You have been grinding subscribers money now since January without delivering hardly anything nor maintaining the game and fixing bugs such as ress bug and minigame signing bug .

If you take an optimistic pov, this means that they decided to use a phase of consolidating and taking a focused look into each of their games...one after the other. And then ideally do development and maintenance parallel once the team settled in, roadmaps are created and inventory stock was taken.
    Then we should enjoy a couple of fixes and addons for AoC, which would be great.

If you take a more pessimistic pov, then AoC simply is not "their" baby and they prefer to focus on what they like and know. But even there one or two focused and motivated people for AoC can do a lot in the bugfix department once they realize what a gem AoC could be.
    So even then, we should expect something the next months...even more with the time, the longer the "new" team gets practice and skill (unless someone clever decides to replace the workforce again). Also even the "scraps" and "leftovers" from other games, might be a nice addon for AoC due to "synergy" effects...

For me it will be enough to do the promised latency and stability improvements, fixing of some bugs and clipping issues (that came with dreamworld 2.0) and remodel the f2p system and shop. Dragonspine has showed me, that their idea of new pve content is simply not made for me, but that is subjective...and i have plenty of other things to do ingame than rushing to the endgame or any new boon (but that is also subjective).

Time will tell who was right (optimists or pessimists)
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 1st August 2013 at 07:46.

The main problem I see with most MMO companies and esp. FC is that their customers are unable to shut the **** up and quit when they no longer like a game. No, they have a pathological need to endlessly bitch and cry on the internet like spoiled brats for years upon years. It's not like they believe this will ever accomplish anything, because nobody can be that stupid (or can they?). Even a kindergarten has more mature atmosphere than any MMO forum.
    In short: shut it and leave instead of pointlessly wasting bandwidth here (and don't start doing it on some other game's forums either). AoC already suffers from a million dumb****s who played at launch for 2 weeks and are still badmouthing it years later without having an atom of a clue about how it actually is now. Go join them so at least the general internet bitching about AoC gets a tiny bit more relevant.

As for the letter, it's fine. It's not like FC will ever get a billion dollars needed for a major marketing campaign, so merges is the best possible solution to population issues. Achievements incoming, that's hours and hours of content right there. And more Unchaining is nice even if they're halfassed rushjobs like others (hello Breach!). Also we've known all along that Dragonspine was gonna take a long time, so nothing new there.

Though if FC gets "restructured" once again I might just throw the towel.

Bad customers! How dare they to tell companies under which conditions they would spend their money!

Please, don't try to derail unto this road...it is slippery and can backfire easily (we can argue for example if simply leaving is more mature than trying to fix things...or if swallowing up everything that is offered without complaining is a mature thing to do).

Do you really think it would be good for the companies, if the customers would actually really "vote" with their wallet without giving feedback first?
    Have you ever tried to evaluate these market factors? (good feedback is easily perceived, but try to do it for those silent "leavers" who do the badmouthing not openly but behind the companies back)

Sure, there are some taking it over the top (and with some global trolls, some might even by paid by other companies), but if you are a professional you should be able to deal with it and use it to your own ends. At least it shows that there is a large number of people who still care about the game and its direction. In other markets getting this kind of emotional attachment is seen as a positive thing (though as you said, it definitely has some negative aspects too...but that is connected to "the ghosts you summoned").
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 1st August 2013 at 08:17.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    As for the letter, it's fine. It's not like FC will ever get a billion dollars needed for a major marketing campaign, so merges is the best possible solution to population issues. Achievements incoming, that's hours and hours of content right there. And more Unchaining is nice even if they're halfassed rushjobs like others (hello Breach!). Also we've known all along that Dragonspine was gonna take a long time, so nothing new there.
    towel.
    You dont need billion dollars to maintain game and do simple bug fixes ffs. FC attitude towards fixings bugs has been ridiculous all the way since start. Moving/floating HoX weapon is a great example of that.
    Last edited by SelfRez; 1st August 2013 at 08:08.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast