Thread: Questions from a new player

Default Questions from a new player

Hello,

First off, thanks for clicking the topic and lending a hand =)

Now, I just started playing a ToS and am new to the game, so I have a few questions about what I should be doing.

Let me also preface, that I am only concerned with PvE at this point. I have zero plans to PvP currently. That may change in the future, but for now, all we need to focus on is PvE stuff.

The following has been edited to reflect answers given, if you see something in error, let me know =)

1 - Gear stats I should aim for is crit rating > magic dmg (or electrical) > wisdom > hit rating > con, in that order I guess? // What about -threat gear? Is there something to help me lessen my aggro besides the little bit of help I might find on gear? (or is that sufficient?)

2 - Straight +magical dmg = magical (electrical) > then +wisdom (for dmg purposes)

3 - The spec I am aiming towards, @ 80 - is it ok? http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v1_11c3...8ef038fb838c34

If not, what is wrong with it? how I can make it better

**If this is an OK learning wheels spec as I getting the feeling people are hinting at, what do some other specs look like please? Full AOE, Full Single target DPS, Full heals? (should ToS ever go full heal?)

4 - Finally, lightning strike or storm field? Honestly I prefer storm field since I can do other things while it is running, but do I get sufficient AoE spells to constantly be casting while it is running? It "feels" like lightning strike is much faster at killing at times, but then again I am only like lv32 atm so.

5 - In raids my job is > Damage, debuff, heal, mana tap

Those are my main concerns atm, once again thanks so much for you assistance.

Cheers.

P.s. I totally did pick Scarlet circle just last night (Mostly because I loved the way the girls outfit looked lol, but then I realized she was also a mage and I had probably made the correct choice hehe. I did find a useful list as well this morning:

Factions a ToS Should choose:
    Hyrkanians, Scholar’s of Cheng-Ho, Yellow Priests of Yun, Children of Yagkosha, Scarlet Circle

If this is inaccurate let me know, just found it on the forums so.
    Last edited by animejester; 28th July 2013 at 21:15.

All these views and no replies...

Are people confused about what I am asking? I could try to elaborate if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by animejester View Post
    Hello,

First off, thanks for clicking the topic and lending a hand =)

Now, I just started playing a ToS and am new to the game, so I have a few questions about what I should be doing.

Let me also preface, that I am only concerned with PvE at this point. I have zero plans to PvP currently. That may change in the future, but for now, all we need to focus on is PvE stuff.

1 - What stats should I be looking for on gear specifically? I assume magic dmg / magical (electrical) [what is the difference between the 2?] / Wisdom / Constitution .. but after that ?? Hit rating? combat rating? (I assume the "ranged" portion of this only counts for bows, xbows, etc).
    Magic damage or electrical damage. Hit rating is next. Wisdom gives you magic damage, and constitution gives you health. If you read mrcorps faq on the tos forums, many of your questions were answered.

1 Wisdom
    * Increases Spell damage by 0.6 for spells with Wisdom attribute (priest spells)
    * Increases Mana points by 3
    * Increases Natural mana regeneration by 0.07 (0.0175 mana per second)
    * Increases OOC mana regeneration by 0.38
    * Increases Protection from Holy/Unholy magic by 0.5
    Hit Rating does not Increase DPS

It gives you increased chance to hit a target

Your hit rating is used to overcome the immunity outcome. Innate resistance (which some classes get through feats or spells, such as the Barbarian’s Insanity feat) is not overcome with hit rating.

Pets will fully inherit their owner’s hit rating and will inherit half of their owner’s critical rating

2 - What are the exact bonuses I am getting from wisdom / magic / int / magical (electrical or other element), for example, I have 2 items, one is +25 magic damage, the other is +10 wisdom and +15 magic damage (electrical) are these even? is the flat bonus more?, etc.
    See above.

3 - The spec I am aiming towards, @ 80 - is it ok? http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v1_11c3...8ef038fb838c34

If not, what is wrong with it? how I can make it better
    http://goo.gl/w4O2lz Less on the sparks and a little more help to the SF. Damage output is what the tos does well. You have a bubble or two, you have CCs and kiting to help if you get in trouble. So I would focus on DPS.

4 - Finally, lightning strike or storm field? Honestly I prefer storm field since I can do other things while it is running, but do I get sufficient AoE spells to constantly be casting while it is running? It "feels" like lightning strike is much faster at killing at times, but then I again I am only like lv32 atm so.
    You have the ability to run two builds and change on the fly. Most have both styles of builds feated. TO get an additional free slot to build another build, see the trainer in OT.

There are certain times you don't want AOEs running, or for that matter spells of any damage. SO you need to be careful, sometimes, with AOE builds. But for the most part, your AOE build should include Storm Field, Storm Crown, Aura, Elemental, Call Lighting, Charged blast, coils (all of which are AOE and all can be cast while running Storm Field).

Those are my main concerns atm, once again thanks so much for you assistance.

Cheers.

P.s. just thought of a question =) ... What is main purpose of a ToS in raids. Sometimes I see people asking for just 1, sometimes 2. Had me curious.
    Might be that they don't have any and just want one. Tos own PVE. I haven't seen any one limit a raid to just one, but that's just me.

Hello,

1 - Aim for crit rating, magic dmg, hit rating (if you got Khitai go for Scarlet Circle set - the Yellow Priest gloves are better though)

2 - Havent looked into this kind of stuff since ages, but as far as i know you're not getting any bonuses from Intelligence, its a mage attribute, you're a priest - you're getting bonuses from Wisdom. Not sure if i remember correctly but 1 wisdom is 0,6 magic dmg.

3 - Id drop Serpent Trasmutation and go for more dmg for PvE, but since you're new player bubble might be helpful till you learn how to play the class

4 - Storm Field all the way

ToS purpose in raids? Damage, debuff, heal, mana tap for your mages
    ॐ ॐ ॐ

I feel bad about feeling good about that~

Thanks for the replies, let's see if I got this straight =)

I have edited the original post, to reflect what I have learned. Feel free to continue to reply if you see something you don't agree with, however explain why please =)

Quote Originally Posted by animejester View Post
    Thanks for the replies, let's see if I got this straight =)

I have edited the original post, to reflect what I have learned. Feel free to continue to reply if you see something you don't agree with, however explain why please =)
    The build you have in your OP. That one is great and one my builds actually. I have another build to squeeze out some more healing and I am solo healing a lot in groups. Try and move the points out of Power of the Serpent Ring and into fully spec Faithful of Set. This will make your blue heal tick for 10% more.

The best advice to remember:

ALWAYS ALWAYS keep blue/green heals running. I see a lot of new people forget this and its very bad, in groups and in raids. Yes the Tos is a top dpser, but you're failing to do your job if you don't heal. Timing your big heal is something you'll learn also, try and not do it when tanks are dead or make someone call for it. Imo, heal first, dps 2nd. But that doesn't mean I don't hold back in dps.

Storm Crown and Idol are one of your best utilities. They do so much, buff, debuff, do damage. Always keep them running. Always remember to drop Curse of Set early, it debuffs targets and buffs friendly melee.

You are correct into going into Crit/Hit/Magic/Wis gear. Do not forget Critical Damage Rating. This stat with Crit Rating will help the most as a lot of Tos Spells are capped with no matter how much magic damage gear you have. The only spell that doesn't appear capped is Column Lightning. I can reach 13k-20k crits with this one.

Always keep Storm Field Running. Use Call Lightning every time its up top buff your spells. Lightning Sparks has a debuff also.

Do not forget to CC if needed.

I love my Tos and it will forever be the best class. :P
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    I love my Tos and it will forever be the best class. :P
    I cannot argue with this.
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)