Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer gets too hot

Default Computer gets too hot

When playing Age of Conan on medium - high settings, my computer heats up to around 75-80 degrees celsius. I get around 70-90 fps and I am sure my computer can handle the game. I am not sure what I can do to fix this, if I play on low settings, the tempature remains around 60-70, but once again, my computer can do better than this. I am able to play all other MMOs on max settings and get around 90fps.

Any tips on lowering the tempature?

Computer specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    RAM: 16GB
    Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Nohrin - Stygian Herald of Xolti
    Ubogin - Cimmerian Bear Shaman
    Noxamor - Aquilonian Barbarian

If you are interested in Age of Conan Livestreams, check out my Livestream or better yet follow my Livestream at www.twitch.tv/visoth

Clean fans and cooling stuff.
    Get better heat sink and fan

Btw. that is perfectly fine temperature for CPU

Also, disable hyper threading from BIOS. It is almost useless in any game, you don't need it unless you do some heavy video/pic stuff. It lowers temp around 7-8'C

Playing AOC, my Graphics Cards over the years have all heated up to around 80 C at which point frequent display driver crashes would happen. Fan speed on my cards would never go above around 40-50%, even with temperatures approaching 90C. My current card that does this is a GTX 680. This has only happened while playing AOC. My solution was to force the graphics card fan to spin faster, so it stays cooler. The computer doesn't get hot anymore, and the crashes stopped.

I currently use EVGA Precision X to manually set the fan speed curve to keep the graphics card cool.

Ye it is strange that 680 keeps fan slow even if its near 90 degrees

i always just set the fans on GPUs to 100% manually never trust the auto so now i just leave them at 100%. 70-80 is fine for the cpu though i would go liquid cooling in future never any problems when liquid cooled.

75-80C inside the PC or CPU/gfx card temp?

GFX card can handle it and CPU's from Intel come with a shitty cooler which can't cool below that anyway.

If inside PC .. then you have a serious airflow problem. Inside my case temp is never more then 3-5C above outside air.
    For CPU I use Zalman 9900 flower cooler .. super silent and cools like a champ + looks fun.

Cleaning out dust (especially if you smoke in the same room) must be done every 3-6 months. Including taking the fan off the cooler and using a badger hair (this bit is important: badgers don't produce static ) brush.
    Last edited by Invino; 26th July 2013 at 18:00.

mmm Badgers you say....interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Kogoro View Post
    When playing Age of Conan on medium - high settings, my computer heats up to around 75-80 degrees celsius. I get around 70-90 fps and I am sure my computer can handle the game. I am not sure what I can do to fix this, if I play on low settings, the tempature remains around 60-70, but once again, my computer can do better than this. I am able to play all other MMOs on max settings and get around 90fps.

Any tips on lowering the tempature?

Computer specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    RAM: 16GB
    Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    - your PC spec is no problem but those temps are too high...
    - the heat is on the whole case or a specific component, GPU, CPU???
    - what case do you have?

some ways of lowering temps:

1- clean all dust inside, fans, cards, memories, PSU, and even the case itself (DONT CLEAN WITH VACUUM CLEANER, go to computer stores and buy a compressed air-spray and use with PC shutdown to avoid problems);
    2- get better cooling fans (and also get better quality thermal paste, they are cheap and make the difference in long term), the stock fans are always useless (specially intel ones) and only make things worst for the CPU and/or GPU lifespan (some graphic cards already come with nice fans though, depends on which one you have) - me for example, had to buy and equip both cooling fans for CPU and Graphic cards to let temps stay at 60ish for each component
    3- get an airflow inside the case that can suck air from the front to expel it on the back.. this refreshes a bit everything inside the case, from hard drives to cpu and memories (i can explain better if necessary what this means)

one thing you can try before touching the hardware is putting the game graphics into low quality, then start customizing it, for example, you increase viewing distances to everything and play for 10min then check temps, if OK, increase something else, and so on, until you figure out WHAT specifically makes the temps go high
    and BTW, the temps go high on any area of the game or certain regions? when playing solo or in raids/groups?
    Last edited by PutchPT; 26th July 2013 at 21:23.
    Why i play AoC:
    Barb for Lore;
    HoX for challenge;
    BS for fun;
    Ranger to annoy;

Also, try use adaptive vertical sync if you can. It helped my high temperature GPU in AoC (Bad game engine dont know how to limit computer strength)

I capped fps to 60 from 150 and temperatures dropped like a cow's tail.

Only happens in AoC

Quote Originally Posted by darknessjw View Post
    Also, try use adaptive vertical sync if you can. It helped my high temperature GPU in AoC (Bad game engine dont know how to limit computer strength)

I capped fps to 60 from 150 and temperatures dropped like a cow's tail.

Only happens in AoC
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

What did you use to limit the FPS, and how did you change vertical sync to adaptive?

Edit: MSI Afterburner showed that it was my GPU that was 80 degrees celsius. My fan makes a lot of noise trying to cool it down, which it never does with other games that I play on max settings. I am planning to clean out my computer, but I am not exactly sure so I think it would be better to leave it to the shop to do that.
    Last edited by Kogoro; 27th July 2013 at 00:59.
    Nohrin - Stygian Herald of Xolti
    Ubogin - Cimmerian Bear Shaman
    Noxamor - Aquilonian Barbarian

If you are interested in Age of Conan Livestreams, check out my Livestream or better yet follow my Livestream at www.twitch.tv/visoth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast