Thread: A Sweet Taste

Default A Sweet Taste

Original Composition by "Chiefpup"

A Sweet Taste

"Without freedom, no one really has a name." ~ Milton Acorda

Chapter One

He steps off the boat onto the shakey platform, the warm Stygian air pressing against his skin. It wasn't to long ago that he was standing in Cimmeria, relishing in it's bitter-sharp air; looking to settle a score with a certain displaced "Chieftain". Alas, he had work to do.

There was always work to do.

The girl stepped off the boat, her eyes wild within her new surroundings. She had obviously never ventured farther than her fathers village, and the sounds of Khemi's trade district threw her off guard. She stepped wairly onto the docks, following a close charge behind him. Her head darted back and forth between the vendors and townies offering her everything from snakes tail to new shoes. A beggar grabbed her by the arm, pulling her close. He spouted non-sensical rhetoric to her. The End is Nigh! The Bone Temple awaits! Share your lagresse!

Kreig snatched her by the scruff of her neck, pushing the beggar to the side. He bellowed for her to stay close. He began moving his way through the crowd, dragging the girl behind him. She did not know yet her fate, one that she sealed when she released the Lord's prisoner back to the Silver Dragons.

Kreig laughed, knowing that the girl would have to deal with the Madness that was Lady Arwyne, the hellish rebuke that was Kashta and if she was lucky, the sweet caress of Briesse.

He paused for a second in the narrow hallway where all the traders and vendors had gathered. He spotted the little girl Feather milling about. She looked well fed now, not so skittish. He hoped that she would catch a glimpse of Kreig as well, he wanted her to know of the girl; wanted her to tell everyone.

Kreig pulled on the girls arm again, dragging her through the crowd. As he got to the otherside of Khemi, the girl finally spoke.

"Where do you take me?"

Kreig laughed as he pushed her onto the small skiff waiting at the docks.

"River Styxx, girl, Abydos. You're Lady Arwyne's now."

A Sweet Taste

"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often, but by striking true." ~ Honore' De Balzac

Chapter Two

The Setite mendicant slaps the Commander on his chest with the cup.

"Spare some coin, Mitran?"

Cach blinks a few times, before slamming his fist into the beggars throat. He mumbles to himself as he opens the door to the Purple Carp; the beggar hunched over himself, gasping for air.

Cach pauses for a moment, wiping the Stygian sand from his pants. The Tavern smelled reminiscently of stewed feces at first, with a small hint of menthol. As the Commander made his way through the Tavern, towards the back, weaving in and out of the filthy denziens, the air became more aromatic. The smell of lotus taking over.

There he spotted Kashta, his devilish pride. He had a job for her, a job he knew that her special abilities would be able to handle. She was chatting with Briesse, a pretty face that Cach had come accustomed to hearing about from his bodyguard. He had summoned both these women, for their specialty to take care of an urgent matter.

Satet-Ka.

Cach coughed as he approached, both women looking up simultaneously. Briesse is the first to speak.

"Commander", she says bowing her head respectfully.

Kashta just smiles at the Commander, a devilish grin that catches him off guard. Cach takes his seat between the two women, clearing his throat before he speaks.

"As you both know, our deal with the Elkhorn Clan failed, as did the Chieftain in his ability to follow through with his dreams."

Briesse nods solemnly as Kashta snorts.

"Cimmerians", she says sarcastically. Briesse shoots her a look of disdain at the comment, which is met by Kashta's wink of an eye.

"I have been fairly calm allowing Arwyne to capture the High Priest, but she has failed me yet again. So the Dragons now have Satet-Ka in their custody.", Cach says calmly as he taps his chest plate.

He continues, taking a sip of whatever this liquid is from whomever's glass that was.

"Our contacts have let us know that they have no plans of anything with him and really do not know how impotrant he is...to certain people-". Cach pauses at the sight of Feather creeping around the corner.

"Brie, go remove that curious girl from the corner", he says loudly. Briesse obliges and excuses herself from the table. He shakes his head, baring his teeth as he looks to Kashta.

"I should just let Kreig have his way with her, if I didn't think she had some important information for me." He pauses to scratch his chin before continuing, "She could be more use to us if she wasn't attached at the hip to that other Aquilonian."

Kashta nods in agreement. "She seems to think that will give her some protection. I still say we should just slap her 'mistress' in chains as well."

Cach laughs at the thought as Briesse returns to the table.

"I'm sorry, Commander", she says quickly.

"You have your own shadow", Cach replies.

"It can be useful, Sir.", Briesse mutters. "She is still here in the Tavern, but out of earshot of us."

Kashta snorts at the statement, "But will she stay out of earshot of us?".

Briesse meets the comment with a quick nod and a look of disapproval at Kashta. Before anything could be said, Cach taps his chest plate as he clears his throat.

"Where was I?", he asks.

"You were speaking of the Cimmerians that lost you your prisoner.", Kashta replies.

"Ah, yes. I have somewhat of bad news for you Kashta".

"Oh?", she asks.

"Our dear friend, Meat, was rescued.", his face growing angry. "Lucky for me, us, Kreig witnessed his escape. A young hand-maiden, his object of affection."

Kashta's look is pale, a forced breath of air escapes her lungs. Her lips curl back, her teeth in a snarl as she slams her cup down, wine sloshing over the edge.

"Set's coils, who let that bitch near him? He was perfect, I though he was under guard?"

Cach lowers his head, anger evident in his voice. "Hiezu sent the army to the Black Ring Citadel, on a whim." He shakes his head in disgust before continuing. "Nevermind that, though. This is actually a good thing."

"A good thing?", Kashta snarls.

"Sir, this could...this could be bad for both Kashta and Kreig if the prisoner tells the Dragons all the questions that were asked.", Briesse replies quickly.

Cach waves his hand dismissively. "We know the girl, I even went so far as to bring her here. Kreig should have her to Abydos by now."

Briesse bites her lower lip, her face now brightened by the mention of Kreig. Kashta, still in shock begins to speak but is cut off by the Commander.

"She doesn't know why she is here, just that she's a gift to Lady Arwyne."

Kashta blinks, a few hundred times in the spanning seconds, looking down the corridor, suspicious, before turning back to the others.

"Hmm, a gift, is it? And what will her real destination be?", she asks calmly.

"That's up to you and Briesse", Cach replies, tapping his chest plate. "Use her to get to the Dragons, Meat..preferably Satet-Ka."

The two women look at each other with a conspiratorial grin.

"And we can find her in Abydos?", Briesse asks.

Cach nods at the question as he takes a drink of the wine.

"So...you want us to use this woman, Cach. What is the...limit...to how we reach our goal?", Kashta inquires.

Cach slams the wine glass down on the table, breaking the bottom as the wine flows from it onto the floor. He grits his teeth as he replies.

"Any...means...necessary."

Both women nod at the bold statement, pleased that they can do what they want in the situation.

"You don't care if she dies, goes free...you just want Satet-Ka?", Kashta questions the Commander.

"She's a slave. Her value is limited. Shes obviously of some importance to Meat and can be used as a bargaining chip."

Briesse shrugs, "Some slaves are highly skilled, and their skills are expensive."

Cach laughs at the statement, "I don't care if you hang her from the highest tree in Poitain, or let her frolic in the wheat. Just bring me Satet-Ka, or Maark as a last resort."

Again both women nod in unison.

Cach looks down the corridor before speaking, "Get to him before Kaine's Legion does. Our spies have told us they are on the move as well."

Kashta's eyebrow raises briefly before her lips make the "Oh" expression, as she realizes the daunting task presented to her. Cach excuses himself from the table, leaving the two women to discuss freely their plans.

He returns moments later, satisfied he found the accommodations to drop a lordly deuce.

Kashta smiles at him before questioning her Commander. "If we succeed in this, Cach...if we get you your priest....I'm curious what it'll be worth to you."

Cach's face grows serious, as he taps his fingers on the table.

"It's worth a lot, I'll put it simply. Don't let Taskelion fail me again, or there will be a special hell for the lot of you to experience."

The women stir in their seat.

"That's now what she meant, Sir.", Briesse finally replies.

"We've gotten nothing from the main force, we've been down here alone without so much as a glance, yet our loyalties still remain. We'll do the job, dont get us wrong, we would just like something in return.", Briesse pleads.

"Coin?". Cach asks.

Both women shake their heads. Coin is not what they wanted, by any means.

Power. It's what all women craved. They wanted separate things from the Commander. Things he could certainly accommodate if they brought him the priest. He nodded, before dropping some coin on the table for the wine.

"It'll be done. Just bring me the priest."

Kashta stood next to Briesse, to the woman she was tasked to work with, looking down at the indentured slave. "What are you doing out here?" Really, did Kreig just leave her here, unchained, to stroll through the citadel with no supervision?

Well, at least that would change now.

The woman looked up at them, speaking softly. "Enjoying the sun."

"You're Arwyne's new slave, aren't you?" She shared a glance with Bri, smirking as the slave slowly got to her feet.

She looked down, her fair skin already pinkening in the harsh sun. "That's what I'm told."

Kashta spoke as she moved forward. "Do you remember me?" The woman nodded, not saying anything, and Kashta trailed one finger down her arm before grasping it firmly. "I don't think you've been quite honest with us, now have you?"

She swallowed hard as Briesse moved closer behind her, trapping her between the two of them. "Wha-? I was brought here, not much to lie about that."

"Oh, I think we both know that that's not what I'm talking about." She wrapped a strip of leather around the girl's wrist, smiling grimly at her. "Give me your other hand."

She swallowed nervoushly, looking around. "Where's...Arwyne?"

Kashta smirked. "You don't have to worry about Arwyne any more....your services have been given over to us."

Briesse moved closer to the girl, her hands running down her other arm. She hadn't spoken much, but now she laughed. "Kashta's more fun I hear, and doesn't talk as much."

"Now....I will repeat myself this once. Give me your hand."

The slave's head shook, eyes wide. "No."

Bri grabbed her arm, pushing it toward Kashta, who took it as if it had all been rehearsed before. Between them, they manhandled the girl to the ground, in open view in the city. Passing guards saw, stared....then moved on quickly as they saw who was involved. No one wanted to interrupt.

Kashta wondered briefly if it was herself or Bri that they were afraid of...they both had reputations, for different things. Briesse had been here longer, but still, it could have been either one of them. Or both. She chuckled....they complemented each other well. The one who so easily killed, and the other who kept people alive, to their regret.

Within moments they had the girl on her knees, arms twisted painfully behind her, and Kashta spoke as she finished binding her hands behind her back. " 'No'? You must enjoy pain, child, because you just brought a good amount on yourself. Now lay your shoulders down, chit."

She struggled briefly, her voice strained. "What's worse, being called a slave or being your plaything? Either way, let's get this over with."

A sharp laugh came from Bri. "You can't seriously have been Hieru's slave? Kashta, I think you're going to need to retrain all of his."

Kashta grinned up at her from her kneeling position behind the girl's back. "She does have a mouth on her, doesn't she? Indentured or not, no slave needs to be talking like that." She grabbed her by the back of her hair, her hand fisting painfully tight as she pushed her head towards the ground. "Every time you stall....every time you think to disobey, I will make it go so much worse for you."

Her words were muffled against the rich earth. "Do what you want. Not like I haven't been through this before, or have seen worse."

She flipped up the girl's skirts, exposing her, knowing how demeaning that could be. "Tell me...did our prisoner have you before he made his escape? Did you take him into your body?"

The slave stilled, spitting some grass from her mouth. "What? What prisoner?"

Bri spoke from her guarding position, her tone mocking. "Did you f*ck our prisoner before you betrayed your lord and helped him escape?"

She laid silent for a moment. "I...I don't know what you're talking about."

Enough. Kashta slid her hand up her thigh, touching her intimately. "The prisoner you were seen leading away from Caelnach. Did he shove his prick inside you like this?" She ignored the woman's struggles, briefly noting Bri biting her lip. Was she aroused? Disturbed? Kashta filed the question away to answer later, and leaned forward, her voice a low and menacing purr behind the girl's ear. "Because if he did...well. You may be interested to know that he did the same to the rotting flesh of one of my creations. Disease is known to spread that way."

The girl gasped, then let out a yelp when Bri kneed her in the side sharply. "I didn't let loose anyone!"

Bri laughed. "What do you think, Kashta? Do we believe Commander Cach, who we respect and trust, or do we believe this...slave?" She gave another kick with her knee for emphasis, prompting another grunt from the girl.

"Mmm, oh I'm sure she lies." Pulling her fingers away, she gave the girl a stinging slap to her exposted skin. "We need more to work with. Can we use your rooms? You have a fire in there, I assume?"

"Yes, it's rather comfortable."

Kashta chuckled, pulling the girl up by her hair. "I'm not looking for comfort, but lead the way, Bri. I've always been curious to see your place."

They moved through the city, ignoring the people that watched them pass, until they came to a building that Bri stopped in front of, opening the door with an unreadable expression. Kashta stepped in, propelling the girl in front of her, and looked around while Briesse got the fire going in the cozy fireplace. She was right....it was comfortable. Homey. Kashta sighed....she really was going to have to find a more fitting place for her work.

"Very nice, Bri." She hooked a bench, removing the cushion before bringing it closer to the fireplace. "You...what's your name, girl?"

The slave hesitated for a moment. "Apoc....Apocillis."

Kashta placed the two sets of tongs in the fireplace, leaving just the handles sticking out, and turned back to the girl with a raised eyebrow. "Well, Apoc...I want you to understand just what it is that happens to people who betray us. Especially those who are bound to our cities. Bri...can you help me, here?" She took her dagger out, slicing away Apoc's clothing as she spoke, making short work of her shirt and skirt. "I need her held still, over this bench, while I work...her wrists will have to be held in front of her." And damn the lack of rings in the wall, along the floor. Kashta sighed, missing the slave pens in Kihneris all over again. The room there...it had had everything she could possibly have needed in her work.

Bri nodded, her eyes filled with a bright curiosity. "Of course, Kashta, whatever you need." She took the girl's hands, rebinding them in front of her so that she could lay her out over the bench. Apoc went quietly, no longer struggling, goose flesh raising in waves on her back.

A quick touch of the tongs gave proof of their readiness, and Kashta turned back to the other women, nodding in approval as she saw how Bri had positioned the girl kneeling in front of the bench, her belly flat along the seat of it. "Yes, exactly...lay that back out nicely for me." She knelt behind the girl, the fronts of her legs pressing against the backs of Apoc's, her lower legs braced against the slave's to keep her from moving. "Now...perhaps you don't know what our emblem is?"

Apoc didn't answer her, but instead looked at Bri as she stretched her arms tightly, holding her body still. "Whatever she's going to do, it was worth it. It will be returned ten-fold."

Briesse snickered. "You think? What is he to you, anyway, to make it worth what you're going to experience?"

Kashta reached for the tongs, using a scrap of leather to keep the metal from burning her hand. Perhaps a little longer. "Yes, why expose yourself to this for some no-name prisoner? Why did you help him escape?"

Apoc scoffed...perhaps despair made her braver? Kashta knew some prisoners who dared the worst, before they understood just how bad 'the worst' could be. "He isn't anything to me, but means of payback for what has been done to every person in that valley since your scourge has set foot in those plains."

Briesse furrowed her brows. "What does it matter to you who's in the keep? You pick your berries, live and grow old and die, no matter who is there. So why do you care?"

Apocillis spoke again, and even without being able to see her face, Kashta knew that a sneer twisted those features. She could hear it. "You wouldn't know the half of it if I explained. Even if I explained slowly so your ape-mind could understand." Her back tensed and she spit at Bri, and Kashta reached for the tongs again as the spittle hit the other woman's breastplate.

Briesse narrowed her eyes, switching her hold on Apoc to one hand so that she could punch the girl in the mouth with the other. Kashta chuckled, her words dry and mocking. "Wrong response." She pressed the heated tong into the girl's back, rolling the curved metal to make an even burn, the sickly-sweet smell of cooking flesh immediately filling the room.

Apoc had been in the middle of spitting out blood, but a scream of agony burst from her at the touch of the tongs to her flesh. Her screams continued as Kashta made burn after burn, making a crude image form in the canvas of her back.

"You don't care to understand the very people that control your life. Stupid. You call us a scourge....rather, we are a proud people, who rise from what would leave other peoples in ashes." Kashta grimaced as the slave struggled beneath her. "Hold her still, Bri!"

Apoc shrieked, her voice crazed. "Yes, Bri, keep me still! Wouldn't want to anger the bitch back there!" She tried to bite Briesse, and was answered with a plated shoulder in her mouth.

Kashta moved her body back, baring the girl's buttocks, and moved the tongs to threaten between her legs. Apoc stilled, her body taut with fright. Kashta's voice was almost friendly as she spoke, as if she weren't a movement away from burning the most intimate parts of the other woman. "You don't want to be fighting back, Apoc. This isn't anything, yet." She paused a moment, to make her next point very clear. "Besides...what if you had a chance to be with your beloved Maark again? Wouldn't you want to be a whole woman?"

Silence fell between them, and Kashta shared a smile with Briesse over Apoc's back, the burn marks unmistakably illustrating a phoenix, it's wings outstretched in angry red over her shoulders. Those wings shook as Apoc shuddered underneath them, considering her words.

"What do you mean?"

A Sweet Taste

Chapter 4

The dark cell offered no support for her. Chained to the wall with but a sliver of light creeping through the cracks in the walls, she thought only of one thing.

Freedom.

That night, though, she could only dream of what she had lost.

She remembered the marauders coming. One by one they broke down the doors of every house in the village. One by one they took what they wanted, making sure to show force when needed. She could still hear the cackling of their leader.

It still haunted her.

The toothless man, he reaked of carcass and sweat. A powerful combination that stung your nose with it's foulness. He was the one that forced her father from the bed. He had demanded the cattle, the chickens and the horses. Her father staunchly refused. He had cited the proclamation of Hieru. Her father was there when Hieru had said they would not enslave the town, that they were free to live their lives underneath the crest of the phoenix. The barbaric man laughed in her fathers face. He took his father out back, her brothers in tow. That was the last she would see of them. Their screams, she could still hear them in this cell.

They had taken everything from her, and she was forced to sell herself into the arms of the behemoth so she would not starve to death.

Now here she was, chained to the wall, starving to death.

She knew what she had to do, and she knew if Maark couldn't help her, that she would die.

She was doing it for him...

He shouldn't have looked in the cart, the Stygian thought to himself as he stood before the great doors of Drak'Hus.

The Aquilonian standing before him looked no better than the cargo of flesh he had drug through the ports and villages on his way from Abydos.

What was the deal with the guys ear? It looked like it was tore off by a rabid beaver.

He shrugged to himself, remembering the words of the Cimmerian who had purchased his services.

"Take the cargo to the walls of Drak'Hus, as quickly as the possible. Time is of the essence."

When he asked what the cargo was, the Cimmerian had told him that he was not being paid to ask questions. Typical business arrangement for the Stygian.

Still, he should have never looked in the cart.

It was somewhere around the small outpost in Khopshef when he was resting that he decided to see what he wasn't supposed to ask questions about. He carefully unwrapped the linens covering the object and to his amazement he found a young girl, her skin taught and a pale-green. She had been worked over, bruises covering her face and her jaw obviously not where it originally was meant to be. He jumped when she let out a moan at the sight of the sun. He thought for sure she was dead, what with those dark splotches covering her body like a leper. He quickly covered her back up, immediately regretting his decision to be curious.

Now he stood before the great oak doors of Drak'Hus, an angry little man shouting at him. He too was covered in dark marks, only they looked older and healed, if you wanted to call it that.

Yea, he was definitely missing an ear.

He snapped back to reality just as the Aquilonian started to threaten him with physical harm.

He cleared his throat.

"I have a message for someone they called 'Meat'."