Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls Online Beta

Quote Originally Posted by ssnowsurfer View Post
    If this is anything like Skyrim then I pass, played Skyrim for 2 days before I was totally bored and quit.
    Its skyrim with more ppl running around.

I was able to play skyrim for about a month then shelved it.
    The eso line has imo got worse every game since Morrowind.

The betas were ok but nothing great. That said ill probably get it... play it off and on for the 1st month and then shelve it. LOL

Its easy to see this game will go ftp or heavy micro transactions or both in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock25 View Post
    It is high fantasy in that there are Orcs and Elves and magic and all that stuff. It is low fantasy in that armor and weapons are realistic, the colors are more earthen than flamboyant JRPG stuff, and that topics frequently covered are drug addiction, racism, and classism.
    Weapons and armor are realistic? Hardly. Maybe a tiny step over the lava-boulder sledgehammers and ginourmous shoulderpads from WoW, but it's still pretty ridiculous, especially if you add glowing enchantments into the mix....

I see your point with regards to tuned-down colours and serious themes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyloins View Post
    Weapons and armor are realistic?
    Name MMORPG which includes those both

~Jin-
    The Law

If anyone is looking for AOC people to play ESO with, check out www.srejects.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzrIEbZXBx8

We have a pretty decent sized force going into the launch, had almost 20 last beta alone. Should be a lot of fun. We're going to be doing AOC and ESO both, so you're free to join guild in both games or just the 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Derled View Post
    Name MMORPG which includes those both

~Jin-
    AoC gets pretty close, for one, especially the post-vanilla stuff that has less horned helmets and double-edged axes. The various Roman-inspired Acquilonian armor, Dao-inspired swords in Khitai, the suits of chain mail heavy armour you get around lvl 40-50, as well as most of the heavy/plate armour in Khitai is what I'd consider realistic, although AoC of course has it's fair share of outlandish gear inspired by Frazetta art and comic books.

Look, while I'd contest that Elder Scrolls is low-fantasy, I can see that it has certain darker elements and an appeal to adult players that games like WoW might lack.

AoC where lance/polearm/spikes/halberds share purpose and animation, yeah sure

If only Mount & Blade could be MMORPG, then we can talk about realism on weap/armors

~Jin-
    The Law

Weapons and armor are realistic? Hardly. Maybe a tiny step over the lava-boulder sledgehammers and ginourmous shoulderpads from WoW, but it's still pretty ridiculous, especially if you add glowing enchantments into the mix....

I see your point with regards to tuned-down colours and serious themes though.
    I still think it's moderately low fantasy compared to games like GW2 or WoW. The non human races are not overly over the top in terms of proportion or size, the armor looks realistic, colors are very normalized, ect...the high fantasy items in game are believable because they make sense with the environment they represent, and many times are explained through lore found within the game.

Just to say it has elves and magic therefore it's high fantasy is not a fair evaluation of the ES in general, because like Erock said, the game tackles very serious real life problems like slavery, drug use and addictions, racial inequality, religious intolerance, ect...all under the cover of a fantasy game.

You simply don't get that from games like WoW, where people are playing over sized orcs riding gobot motorcycles. I don't see how you can even compare the two.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post

You simply don't get that from games like WoW, where people are playing over sized orcs riding gobot motorcycles. I don't see how you can even compare the two.
    You already have a bunch of steam-powered Dwemer mecha in the ES universe. How long do you think it will be until you can buy a Dwemer mount in the in-game store, and play your very own robot-riding orc in ESO? Wouldn't be surprised if we're talking months rather than years. Also, orcs in the WoW universe are slightly larger and bulkier than humans, which I believe is exactly the case for the ES world, so I don't see what you mean by oversized.

Anyhow, if you don't see how the settings are extremely similar, at the very least superficially (and MMOs are in general very superficial - which is why many have much of their lore supported by novels and comics outside of the game and/or use an established IP), then I don't think there's much I can say to convince you.

You already have a bunch of steam-powered Dwemer mecha in the ES universe. How long do you think it will be until you can buy a Dwemer mount in the in-game store, and play your very own robot-riding orc in ESO? Wouldn't be surprised if we're talking months rather than years. Also, orcs in the WoW universe are slightly larger and bulkier than humans, which I believe is exactly the case for the ES world, so I don't see what you mean by oversized.

Anyhow, if you don't see how the settings are extremely similar, at the very least superficially (and MMOs are in general very superficial - which is why many have much of their lore supported by novels and comics outside of the game and/or use an established IP), then I don't think there's much I can say to convince you.
    Well to be fair to ES you need to have played Morrowind extensively and you would understand my points. Both Oblivion and Skyrim were targeted to a more common, casual crowd and if your experience with ES is mainly based on these games your getting a very watered down taste of how rich ES lore actually is. I never once felt like there was any kind of ridiculous element to Morrowind, even the funny items like the wandering kajit (miqaq the liar or whatever) were tastefully done. As for the dwemer, so far even if they are steam-punkish, nothing has been outlandish so far in any of the series, and I can tell you I had a great time in Morrowind trying to discover the history behind all those machines and ruins just by finding books and reading them.

I just can't see how you can compare WoW to ES or ESO, because they are worlds apart in terms of gameplay, adult content and themes, and lore.
    Doomsayer 2008