Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls Online Beta

Even after a few beta-sessions I'm still firmly on the fence about TESO. The game is pretty, the combat is okay enough, and it's an OCD'ers dream in terms of collecting achievements. Plus, it conveys the world well enough to actually give you a feeling for where you are.

That being said, it is, to me, just OK. Not great, not horrible, but just...OK. It's something that I could spend €15 a month on for a while, but I'm not rabid about it. Maybe I've just become extremely jaded towards games over the far too many years I've spent in front of a computer-screen, but I find it very hard to get excited over games anymore.

As it stands now, the deciding factor whether or not I pick the game up will be how many of my friends go there. If most/all of them go there, then I'll most likely follow. Even if that means leaving AoC behind.
    Battleaxe Brain Surgeons Rides Again!

Wharrgharbl (80 Axemurdering maniac Barb)
    Ikoim (80 Conq)
    Hazakahn (80 ToSspot)
    Kegh (80 Beer Shaman)
    Vachir (80 Guardian)
    Mivat (80 Necromancer)
    A horde of other alts...

I give that game another go on the last beta weekend.
    Graphics is way behind AoC and giant mushrooms + tiny dinosaurs make me sick. :/ Combat was kinda interesting after a while but questing is boring. Open world dungeons are also dissapointing. Crafting seems great, account-wide friendlist and stuff is also good but I'd like to see these good things in Hyboria instead. ^^
    Tainted Souls on Crom - Johara's Featplanner

Hushi (HoX) - Igne natura renovatur integra

Quote Originally Posted by pekka View Post
    giant mushrooms + tiny dinosaurs make me sick. :/
    Do you didn't like morrowind? The IP isn't for everyone I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pekka View Post
    I give that game another go on the last beta weekend.
    Graphics is way behind AoC and giant mushrooms + tiny dinosaurs make me sick. :/ Combat was kinda interesting after a while but questing is boring. Open world dungeons are also dissapointing. Crafting seems great, account-wide friendlist and stuff is also good but I'd like to see these good things in Hyboria instead. ^^
    ES is still pretty low fantasy minus a few things, it hardly resembles any of the 100+ high fantasy clone Korean MMOs that are out. The lore is as rich as AoC considering they have no books, movies, or comics to pull from. Morrowind still remains my favorite, and if your unsure about ES I would say play that game for about an hour or so and you'll be hooked.

AoC has no open world dungeons save 1 and who plays it as such, so any game with 2 would be superior to AoC. The world PvP looks amazing, so what the combat is a little meh. I can't get any world pvp in AoC no matter the server, so any game offering me world pvp I'm up to try at least.
    Doomsayer 2008

I have pre-ordered today. I like what I am seeing and for me it has same pre-launch vide AOC had in 2008 (in a positive way, not talking about bugs, crashes etc. :X).

This is something I might enjoy and I want to get in early on. It's not like I will miss any major additions to AOC while I will be gone
    Retired

Bukkithedd pretty much summed it up. The sub fee is likely going to keep a lot of people away but they may be planning on getting what they can then going free to play at some point. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

I wasn't really a Morrowind fan but I did like the various books scattered around. Decent and sometimes better writing and stories from and about the world. They continued that in ESO and taking time to read all the books is one reason I didn't get as far in beta as I could have. But I'm strange that way. Picked all opposite factions on my second character through RotG just to see the other side of the stories/quest lines.

Still, not enough to make me pay 15 a month, especially when it wouldn't be my main game.

That's what I was looking for in ESO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU5XA-UYupQ

Didn't quite meet my expectations so I guess I will pass, at least for now. I'm bit worried that the thing is maybe I'm just getting old, MMOs doesn't excite my like they used to anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    ES is still pretty low fantasy minus a few things, it hardly resembles any of the 100+ high fantasy clone Korean MMOs that are out. The lore is as rich as AoC considering they have no books, movies, or comics to pull from. Morrowind still remains my favorite, and if your unsure about ES I would say play that game for about an hour or so and you'll be hooked.

AoC has no open world dungeons save 1 and who plays it as such, so any game with 2 would be superior to AoC. The world PvP looks amazing, so what the combat is a little meh. I can't get any world pvp in AoC no matter the server, so any game offering me world pvp I'm up to try at least.
    Is it low-fantasy? I've largely ignored the lore elements of ESO, since the main draw of the series for me has been the gigantic amount of mods, not the usually bland and buggy basegame...

However, from what I have picked up, it seems to be very generic . I played like 4-5 hours on my orc in ESO, and I can honestly say that you could've put the exact same quests and descriptions in WoW, only switching out names like Bosmer for High Elf, and it would've fit 100%. I was unable to discern any difference at all.

More generally, you have the "multiple elf races who are all arrogant, long-lived and super-good at either magic or archery or both" thing that's been a trope in high-fantasy since before D & D. Though Bethesda can't seem to agree whether their elves are beautiful or fugly from game to game.

Other than that, "everyone" can apparently use magic and you can expect to find half a dozen magical artifacts/stones in just about every zone. Demon invasions and restless spirits are almost as common, ditto with ancient ruins with malevolent denizens...

Quote Originally Posted by Greyloins View Post
    Is it low-fantasy?
    It is high fantasy in that there are Orcs and Elves and magic and all that stuff. It is low fantasy in that armor and weapons are realistic, the colors are more earthen than flamboyant JRPG stuff, and that topics frequently covered are drug addiction, racism, and classism.
    Baneric / Munok / Johnkruk / Tomjones / Elgranorgo

US first kills - Arch Lector Zaal, Bat of Nerd Rage, Emperor, Cloud, and Entity.

If this is anything like Skyrim then I pass, played Skyrim for 2 days before I was totally bored and quit.