Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "new" player BS or conq?

Play a conq. My god the bs is so boring.

Both are very strong classes, very versatile.

But i believe BS is a much more interesting class, one of the best classes in AoC along with HoX. While conq is rather boring these days, even though it's OP as hell.

As pointed out, BS dps for sure, it got all the tools needed to deal with pretty much any situation. It got the CCs, insane self/team buffs, excellent debuffing power.

Finally, being for raids, groups, PvP, people will be much happier to have a BS by their side than yet another OP rolled conq.

I would say, go BS, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaVX View Post
    Kinda misleading thread imo,

Tos's and Pom's (other 2 healers) deal much more damage, even on single target.

Out of all classes equally skilled and geared bear shaman is second to last in the dps department just in front of guard (or other tanks in tank spec).
    You're being pretty misleading here too...

If you aquire decent gear with a bear you'll be doing top dps. Hypothetically, yes, we're one of the underdogs if you want to put a rank on everone, but you're failing to include we're RIGHT BEHIND. You'll be up there when you find (or force) the right conditions and put some work in ^^

Bear is one of the reasons I stayed in this game for so long. Go for it!

I love playing BS. It's my second best class - right after Guardian. =)
    Conq is the only tank i never played so i can't say anything about that class ^^

from Bear Shaman main perspective:

of course Cong.

He:
    1. Is OP (as hell)

2. Has damage (spec depends) - in T4 raids he still can be in first 5 - my Bear (nearly full t4 with tigers legs, t3 weapon is ~20

3. Has survi (spec depends, but 2 bubbles with - much HP, crazy resistances AND 2 heals do works

BS is .. FUNNY to play, i LOVE BS i can solo even 6 man dungeons (not Khitai of course) but ... compared to Cong is ... as little brother in terms of PVE and PVP (i heard) too.

even from Healer point of view - 2 other healers do more damage and pom even heals more (div spec).

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaVX View Post
    Kinda misleading thread imo,

Tos's and Pom's (other 2 healers) deal much more damage, even on single target.
    Probably quite true, since Tos and Pom aoe attacks can be targeted on single targets. The difference of course is that Bears will only hit multiple targets when mobs are stacked and the player gets in a position to hit more than one of them. Poms and Tos's can still aoe multiple targets even when the stack is poor for the melee classes. When bear dps is decidedly lower, it's usually more because of this than anything else.

Out of all classes equally skilled and geared bear shaman is second to last in the dps department just in front of guard (or other tanks in tank spec).
    This is also more often true than untrue. Most of why is because of the answer above. When in heal spec or doing some encounter-specific healer thing that makes me stop dps-ing to go do the thing (de-petrifying on Basilisk for example) my bear's dps is about where you suggest - just above the tanks. However, when in dps spec using tigers/t4 gear (on a fight where I can go at full gallop - Zodiac for example), my bear will often be around #10-12 on the dps. That's not bad for a healer class.

On a related note, you'll find players often cite that in raids they were top dps all the while topping the healer parse, too. That's good and I praise someone who is that good, but one's healing rank is more often related to whether you are healing a main tank group or a caster/dps group. Any healer should top the parse when healing the players taking tons of damage.

The OP thread was asking which was more fun, bear or conq, and why. I want to suggest one more reason why for the bear - how often do you get to play a melee healer in MMOs?

Thank you everyone for great feedback, my bear is now lvl 20 and just left the starting area! There where some hard times but also sometimes where i thought it is nice to be tanky enough to take on 3 my lvl, and from i hear they get stronger later in the 20's!

I am a WoW player and have macro's and keybinds that is all over the place, but i have no experience with AoC methods and mods.

Is there dps meters I can download?
    Is there any special life improving keybinds/macro's etc for the bear shaman?

I am use to hitting spells, not a direction + spell, which makes its more difficult! and at 40 i believe i get 2 more directions!

Thanks!

You'll find parsers and UIs here
    http://www.curse.com/addons/aoc/category/miscellaneous

About macros and such, you can forget that in AoC, you'll see when you get more combos and abilities that you do need high versatility in your gameplay.
    You have to be able to delay your combos, change at the last second directions to adapt to your target's shields, be constantly quick on your feet, etc.

You do need though to bind as many abilities/combos as possible.

Okay, key-binded some abilities and things,but i need some advise on exactly how attacking works.

Stupid question i am sure.

So lets take 3 spells as I only have 3 directions

Sweep - Left
    internal bleed - mid
    ursine brawl - right

Now all the spells have a starter and finisher damage, this is where I am a tiny bit confused.

Sweep you press the sweep button then the left arrow once
    Internal bleed has a number 2, does that mean i have to press Internal bleed then twice mid? Do i have to spam press it, or do i have to wait for animation of a swing, does timing matter on this?
    and Lastly Ursine Brawl has 3 right, so again do i just spam my right arrow 3 times or do i have to gently press it 3 times 1 second apart?

I hope that made sense

Quote Originally Posted by RJMadCat View Post
    Okay, key-binded some abilities and things,but i need some advise on exactly how attacking works.

Stupid question i am sure.

So lets take 3 spells as I only have 3 directions

Sweep - Left
    internal bleed - mid
    ursine brawl - right

Now all the spells have a starter and finisher damage, this is where I am a tiny bit confused.

Sweep you press the sweep button then the left arrow once
    Internal bleed has a number 2, does that mean i have to press Internal bleed then twice mid? Do i have to spam press it, or do i have to wait for animation of a swing, does timing matter on this?
    and Lastly Ursine Brawl has 3 right, so again do i just spam my right arrow 3 times or do i have to gently press it 3 times 1 second apart?

I hope that made sense
    Sorry, doesn't make much sense for me :-) By default you get combos from 4+ I think and from 1-3 you got attacks UL (upper left) UC (center) UR (upper right) attacks. So you press 4 to do combo and then following directional attack which will be shown on combo indicator. Then you press ie. 5 which is different combo and press directionals again. You can as well read combo descriptions and see what attacks does it use.

You don't have to spam directional, one press is fine, basically look on combo indicator, it'll highlight direction you need to press actually, it'll also tell you if you hit target or not (red and green background). If you miss on some steps combo damage is reduced (don't remember exactly now by how much).
    aocfeats.com - Age of Conan feat planner
    Tutu - Dark Templar | Tuts - Bear Shaman | Nedbee - Demonologist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast