Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Item Quality Differences

Lightbulb Item Quality Differences

So, I have a level 65 Epic Sword, and it does considerably higher DPS than my level 75 Superior Sword. The stat bonuses are similar, with the level 75 Superior being a bit higher than the level 65 Epic (but not by much).

Im a barbarian so Im mostly concerned with pure DPS at the moment while leveling up. Is there any real penalty in the game if I use an epic weapon 10 levels below me, or perhaps, is there a benefit to using a weapon my level, even if its superior quality (and not epic) ?

Could anyone explain the nuances between Good, Superior, and Epic weapons/gear? Do only the DPS and item stats matter, or are there penalties to using items far lower than your own level?

Thanks!

Only the DPS and item stats matter.

Each item has a "budget" that goes into its stats and bonuses (e.g.,"+12 Str", "+100 combat rating", etc). Epics have a bigger budget compared to blues, which in turn have a bigger budget compared to greens.

I've found that between items with only 1 color difference (i.e., Purple vs Blue, or Blue vs Green), it is approximately 10 levels where the items become roughly/almost equal (e.g., level 60 purple guard sword ~ level 70 blue guard sword, and a level 40 blue guard sword ~ level 50 green guard sword). There's a lot of approximation here, so that's not really a hard and fast rule, just something I've noticed as I levelled up some chars.

In short, there are no "hidden" penalties for using whatever colors or levels of items. What you see is what you get based on their stats.

Quote Originally Posted by aocjv View Post
    Only the DPS and item stats matter.

Each item has a "budget" that goes into its stats and bonuses (e.g.,"+12 Str", "+100 combat rating", etc). Epics have a bigger budget compared to blues, which in turn have a bigger budget compared to greens.

I've found that between items with only 1 color difference (i.e., Purple vs Blue, or Blue vs Green), it is approximately 10 levels where the items become roughly/almost equal (e.g., level 60 purple guard sword ~ level 70 blue guard sword, and a level 40 blue guard sword ~ level 50 green guard sword). There's a lot of approximation here, so that's not really a hard and fast rule, just something I've noticed as I levelled up some chars.

In short, there are no "hidden" penalties for using whatever colors or levels of items. What you see is what you get based on their stats.
    actually there is gear check, so example if u have blue item with x stats and purple item with very same stats-purple one will be better coz u will suffer no penalty if u encounter players with better gear. U can easily check this by using blue khitai faction items which are abit weaker then their purple upgrades but in reality difference is so huge that u can notice this in like 1 min of pvp or pve. One thing is sure as hell, never trust flat funcom numbers
    Last edited by Blacksoulx; 10th June 2013 at 16:06.

I would love some more details about this.

I don't think i've ever noticed anything like this. I mean there's always the threshold on raid encounters but i believe you're talking about something very different.

Game doesn't care about color of the item - there are no hidden stats, you should judge items based on what you can see. Level 60 purples can be better than level 80 blues. Level 80 blues can be better than level 80 purples.

Dungeons and raids are supposed to have gear checks, but only the final stats are relevant (quality of items is ignored). You can run high-end encounters as a tank in blue gear as long as you meet certain mitigation tresholds - f.e. fighting magical bosses in blue crafted gear with white gems is quite common, because it offers similar (if not better) protection than epic gear. You may have lower aggro vs better geared tanks, but you won't go down faster if you have the same mitigation.
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 10th June 2013 at 16:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Misiuggah View Post
    Game doesn't care about color of the item - there are no hidden stats, you should judge items based on what you can see. Level 60 purples can be better than level 80 blues. Level 80 blues can be better than level 80 purples.

Dungeons and raids are supposed to have gear checks, but only the final stats are relevant (quality of items is ignored). You can run high-end encounters as a tank in blue gear as long as you meet certain mitigation tresholds - f.e. fighting magical bosses in blue crafted gear with white gems is quite common, because it offers similar (if not better) protection than epic gear. You may have lower aggro vs better geared tanks, but you won't go down faster if you have the same mitigation.
    In PvP, there is a special case for your mitigation value. The defender uses their level to determine their mitigation, rather than the attacker’s level. This means that if you are exceptionally geared but attacked by a player of higher level, you keep your own mitigation and don’t suffer a penalty.
    Last edited by Blacksoulx; 10th June 2013 at 17:29.

great, thanks all. i spent an incredibly long amount of time trying to look this info up myself!

Some ppl think that the old "heroic" stats purple gear had still exist.
    With funcoms coding the way it is i wouldnt be surprised if this the case but i would not know how to go about testing this or if its even possible. I doubt if funcom could even find out if it still exists in some sort.
    For you newbies the heroic value was an added set of stats that come in to play only when fighting epic mobs.

Too bad they changed all gear to be used against epic mobs. Creating biggest unbalance in their history

Quote Originally Posted by Aylis View Post
    Some ppl think that the old "heroic" stats purple gear had still exist.
    While playing undeargeared/overgeared tanks and tanky healers, I got a feeling the damage scaling is not exactly linear. It only matters on toughest fights in the game though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast