Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations on PvP as a new HoX

Default Observations on PvP as a new HoX

First of all allow me to clarify, my HoX is actually my oldest character, born during Early Access in 2008. He did not make it to 80 before 2013, though. As such, I have very limited experience of PvP at level 80, but I have always a good overview of the battle, I know my movement and I know how to pick targets. However...

Holy ****ing ****.

I am a dead man walking. It is not because I sometimes look like a decomposed sea monster. It is because when I hit the respawn button my death is already assured.

1) When I enter the battlefield, the enemy team will instantly disengage any foe, no matter their HP, to kill me. This happens without fail and increases in intensity as the match goes on and they realize just how much of a wet paper towel I am.
    2) Should 1 somehow be ignored, I will be CC'd the last instant of my Pillar combo, which is about the only thing that is able to damage other players. Being knocked back, stunned or feared instantly leads to 1.

I run a pretty standard hybrid build, with Avatar and Horrible Visage of Xotli (HoX has the best feat names, btw. I considered going Possession just so I could feat Hatred of the Living). I know my spells and abilities and use them to the best of my ability. My gear is somewhat poor but that will improve. Oh, I do realize I will never have good survivability as a Herald.

What I seek is wisdom from our Herald Elders. Perhaps a few pointers, or advanced tricks I may not have picked up yet. Or just a discussion around PvP?
    Operator irc.funcom.com:6667 #ageofconan #thesecretworld
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the world asunder
    Dysphoria - Murky Templar - Icoyce - Herald of the Black Kraken - Eriphyle - Shebearman

You have to play HoX like a mix between a Sin and a Demo. Pick targets wisely, never be the first one in and kite like a mofo. Timing Pillar's and ToX(obviously you won't need this part, since you're Avatar hybrid) when you're least likely to get CC'd or interrupted is probably the most difficult thing to master.

First of all welcome to masochistic club of pain and suffering, we are always on the look out for new members

Like you discovered hox lacks bit on survivability so we must work hard on movements to compensate. Phoenix cloack is great tool but cd is waay to long. Dont forget that demon maw gives demonic revitalization buf that can help out if you are low on health. also molten flesh can heal you nicely vs other hoxes, demos and rangers if they use fire trap and fire advantage on you. Demon form also heals a bit. One trick i use as big heal is that my secondary weapon is blue sword: Wolf tamers longblade.This sword has 97 constitution on it which translate to almost 800 health.
    I prefer possession build atm, even though avatar can also do o.k. but i still find possession to give more movement potential than avatar. First of all you have 1 pretty fast great cast:CoA and ToX which is 2.5 sec cast but it can hit pretty good and with crit it can be great and its aoe.
    Basically you can kite and cast coa, hfb, spitfire and pillar for some nice dmg and mobility.
    I see you are getting cced on pillar finisher, well at least that should not be happening. Pillars have nice range so learn to use it.
    Most people would advise to go for red shadow of xotli as your main AA. I cant argue with that even though i prefer prince of terror for some nice crits on btd dot or from the beyond for perma charging
    I see you have bad gear, dreamers keepsake ring is nice start and you can get them at trader and for necklace there is one good blue that drops from forgotten city i think(lacunal nexus). And as sword goes i would start grinding rare tokens for trial of flame (basically only pve that i did in game).

Its bit to late now and dont want to write more or i might start writing gibberish
    Hope i helped a bit. Im sure many others will chip in with advices of their own. Enjoy most fun and original class in game

Quote Originally Posted by Icoyce View Post
    1) When I enter the battlefield, the enemy team will instantly disengage any foe, no matter their HP, to kill me. This happens without fail and increases in intensity as the match goes on and they realize just how much of a wet paper towel I am.
    if you are talking about minigames and are low level player, that could be one of the reasons everyone attacks you because since minigames are now all pugged groups, most players worry about k/d too much to care about the team play, so, since hox is clothie, youre a prime target...
    when i first started playing i noticed the same thing, first because i was low then because better players can spot weaker ones just for looking how they run into battle, so try to go in at ease, practice fighting and watching your surroundings first, then the feeling of ALWAYS BEING A TARGET disappears a bit, and you can start and focus someone yourself (its all about practice, timing, smarts)

Been playing my HoX for a few days, I can tell you now that Enslaving Fire is the way to go, The Stun is extremely long (if you got 5 points) and you can make people burn their CC break using the transformation, fear, or root so you can get the ES stun.

My question is what other AA you should run with this for PvP an PvE. Quickening Death seems good, but so far I have been using the Burning Skull one. It seems to do decent damage, but recasting it every few seconds is annoying.

My other question would be, what stats do you want to go for? The BB gear seems to be the best, but talking about rings, neck, and cape do you want to go strictly for combat rating if your avatar heavy? My idea is that you want constitution gear, like Death's Ward and the Jiang Shi ring because cloth just sucks, at least for PvP. Strength seems mainly wasted to me because you can't get items with a high enough strength that make up for combat rating accessories with can have 400-500+. Intelligence seems the same way, and you take away from your melee attacks?

So what do you go for?
    Doomsayer 2008

OP are you in blue or purple robes?

Those are a huge indication of a free kill in most cases. You will be squishy no doubt. Even after you get gear you will be squishy in comparison to the other classes.

Stick with it, HoX is one of the most rewarding classes and the most fun. My recommendation is to keep mini'ing to PVP 4, once there buy the purple main pieces and the pvp T2 off pieces when you can. That will help massively.

Also possession/gen is great imo
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Quote Originally Posted by Whalar View Post
    One trick i use as big heal is that my secondary weapon is blue sword: Wolf tamers longblade.This sword has 97 constitution on it which translate to almost 800 health.
    I bear that sword too but it doesn´t work as big heal it just increase your help pool by default but not giving you instantly some hp so it means it is just usefull at the start of the fight once you lost 800 health you can switch it to your normal PvP weapon which you often forget... so I use it just seldomly.
    Xuhotl - arcimage of the city of Xuthal in service of great army Futilez - HoX PvP lvl 10
    Bordhi - Khitai legionary - DT PvP lvl 7
    Bahary - vampire and your nightmare - Lotus Sin PvP lvl 7
    Shiwan - the last of Corrags - retired noob Barb PvP lvl 8

Quote Originally Posted by PutchPT View Post
    ...most players worry about k/d too much to care about the team play, so, since hox is clothie, youre a prime target...
    It is not about KD whoring even in premade you always go for easiest target as death oponent simply doesn´t do any dmg... face it... if you are low lvl PvP player you are always under focus and it is completely legit strategy.
    Xuhotl - arcimage of the city of Xuthal in service of great army Futilez - HoX PvP lvl 10
    Bordhi - Khitai legionary - DT PvP lvl 7
    Bahary - vampire and your nightmare - Lotus Sin PvP lvl 7
    Shiwan - the last of Corrags - retired noob Barb PvP lvl 8

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhenous View Post
    You have to play HoX like a mix between a Sin and a Demo. Pick targets wisely, never be the first one in and kite like a mofo. Timing Pillar's and ToX(obviously you won't need this part, since you're Avatar hybrid) when you're least likely to get CC'd or interrupted is probably the most difficult thing to master.

Always be the first one in cmon your a hox charge those mofos!

@Op **** pilar/enslaving if your undergeared it takes to long animation sin/ranger will kill you with 1 hand.

kite and spam hfb/chains/hs4 + learn to time your cc's it help.
    I usually run with From the beyond since it enables me to charge between the enemies and it makes sure they will never get away.

Learn to be in the frontline its the most fun playing as a demo hanging in the back is just plain boring.

Also learn enemies animation/enable cast bar so u can time your interupt with HFB effectively.

if u play pos/gen spec WoC in pos en gen tree(radius increase) it makes your root pretty decent to escape/catch/.

Stay with the Herald of Xotli. Nothing is wrong with the class. It takes a longer learning curve to control it though.

You are a supporter, an AoE mage. Learn to use that, and you will get K/D increased very fast!
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast