Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: CPU upgrade time?

Quote Originally Posted by darknessjw View Post
    Just ordered 4770k + Asus sabertooth.

I cross my fingers and hope that my old cooling system fit with 1150 socket
    What are you upgrading from? I look forward to hearing your experiences after the upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Banto View Post
    Game uses CPU & GPU Very poorly so aslong as u get a Dual/Quad Core and your safe.
    Game only use 20% on my cpu cores less than a Minecraft Server with no one on.
    Minecraft even uses 8 cores while Conan uses 1-2 cores/threads.
    Clings bad in my ears when its a heavy demanding game.

Experience from GPU´s
    5870 1GB
    6950 2GB
    660TI 2GB
    7950 3GB

No difference in FPS since game uses GPU very bad aswell, most likely i think it is becaus game uses the CPU so bad the game bottlekneck the GPU becaus of bad CPU Usage

Normaly game uses
    20% cpu on 1 core or 2 nothing else realy.
    50-60% on GPU

We most likely gotta wait on Funcom to Optimize the game themself since its Software related not Hardware.
    Depending on how old of a machine someone has ofcourse.
    Age of Conan uses 80-85% of my CPU, and in fights with loads of players / npcs it gets really laggy. You are correct about GPU though.. At least, the upgrade from HD4870 1GB to HD7950 3GB was marginally noticeable in game. I could however run DX10 at much better framerate than with the old one.

The game is poorly written. I know that, and thats partly the meaning of this thread, to try and find which CPUs that perform best for AoC.

Quote Originally Posted by Buyten View Post
    What are you upgrading from? I look forward to hearing your experiences after the upgrade
    From i7 860 and Asus p7p55 Motherboard and Noctua cooler (1156)

I know i7 860 will have troubles with Rome 2 because it does not like Shogun 2 at all (game is heavily CPU dependent)
    Last edited by darknessjw; 12th June 2013 at 21:28.

Got now

Asus sabertooth z87
    i7 4770k

installed.

Computer works super fast, but...
    It freezes sometimes suddenly (even in bios) with low temps. Sometimes some USB devices are not working, this is random. It does not detect always my SSD or HDD

Did update bios, few times installed fresh Windows 7 64 bit
    Did memory test, no problems

All were fine with old motherboard + cpu, but now these problems appeared
    Bios crash/freeze is not good thing, i might have got faulty motherboard

Maybe.. But check that all plugs on your PSU are properly connected.

Ye, triple checked everything. Been full rage mode here

I read that sudden strange freezes, even in BIOS might be because of faulty CPU.

Gonna RMA them anyway

You know what makes a difference in AoC? Raw CPU clock speed. OC your CPU and you'll notice a big difference in raids (especially at 4ghz+), pvp etc (with maxed settings and all particles on) even with an old CPU & GPU. For example my old e8400 @ 4ghz ran AoC super well in 1080p maxed settings with my old gtx 275 (and 8800 GTS before it). To illustrate : from 3.3ghz to 4ghz on my i5 2500k my fps is simply DOUBLED in raids & massive pvp.

That being said even with a super fast CPU the GPU usage remains pretty low, even with my i5 2500k @ 4.8ghz my GPU (GTX 670) usage is like 20-30% in intensive situations. And yeah the game is more or less single threaded (which is why CPU clock makes such a difference) but it uses a bit more CPU than truly single threaded programs... so it's like it uses 1,25 cores or something. Also when loading areas CPU usage rises a lot more than usual, so the game is not 100% single threaded. Just really poor and outdated coding.
    Last edited by kalston; 15th June 2013 at 11:58.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

AX (Gold and Platinum): AX650, AX750, AX760, AX850, AX860, AX1200

And also have tried with this

HX (Silver, Gold and HX1000): HX650, HX750, HX850, HX1000, HX1050

So i have right PSUs for it
    Last edited by darknessjw; 15th June 2013 at 13:33.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    You know what makes a difference in AoC? Raw CPU clock speed. OC your CPU and you'll notice a big difference in raids (especially at 4ghz+)
    Yes, I really notice a huge difference on mine as well. I have an older CPU now, the Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz. When I overclock it to 4,2Ghz the FPS increase by at least 50%. 4770K should do the trick, but if anyone has experiences with 3930K I Would appreciate that as well if those perform better due to the extra memory bandwith.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast