Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: CPU upgrade time?

Yep, ****ers.

I remember reading 4 years ago article where some Intel representative said that those sockets won't change much or at all, but ********. Its always new socket when they release new generation CPU

Its all money milking to get customers buy new motherboards when they update computer parts other than GPU

Well if you have an i7 920, and going to get i7 3930K. Wouldn't you want a new motherboard to go with that new CPU to support the new stuff? LGA1366 motherboards doesn't have good support of Sata 600 or USB 3, while LGA2011 has both. The LGA1155 was launched in Q3 2011, so close to two years lifetime isn't very bad.

This new LGA1150 brings along Z87 chipsets and on these motherboards you have (compared to Z77):

- Six native sata 3 ports on motherboard controller rather than only two.
    - Two more USB3 ports based on motherboard chipset.

You can upgrade to a newer CPU in an elder AMD socket, but it will be lower performance than if you bought a newer one due to less bandwith, lower ram frequency support, and an elder chipset that don't support all the goodies that was invented in the new processor.
    Last edited by Buyten; 5th June 2013 at 20:09.

And if you don't understand:

LGA1156: Consumer platform. Crossfire and SLI introduced. Release date 2009.
    LGA1155: Consumer platform. Dual channel memory. USB 3 introduced. Release date 2011.
    LGA1150: Consumer platform. Dual channel memory. Improved chipset. Release date 2013.

LGA1366: Enthusiast platform. Three channel memory. Release date 2008.
    LGA2011: Enthusiast platform. Four channel memory. Release date 2011.
    LGA2011: Enthusiast platform. Ivy Bridge-E. DDR4. Will be released Q4 2013.
    Last edited by Buyten; 5th June 2013 at 20:27.

Do you know if

LGA1156: RAM combs fit with new LGA1150 RAM sockets?

If they do, then im good to go

Quote Originally Posted by darknessjw View Post
    Do you know if

LGA1156: RAM combs fit with new LGA1150 RAM sockets?

If they do, then im good to go
    Most DDR3 RAM works with any motherboard/chipset intended for DDR3 - which would include all of the various Core i7 socket variations. The only issue would be really old (Core 2 on X48/790i/etc. era) DDR3 that needs to run at 1.8V or more. Any DDR3 made since the i7s first came out should be lower voltage since Intel required it.

I have some DDR3-1600 I originally bought for a 1366 board running happily in an 1155/Ivy Bridge system currently. As a side benefit if it does die I have the two spare sticks left over from going from two sets of triple channel to two sets of dual channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Buyten View Post
    By the way... AMD is quite good on launching new sockets as well

Socket AM2 may 2006
    Socket AM2+ march 2008
    Socket AM3 february 2009
    Socket AM3+ october 2011
    Socket FM1 july 2011
    Socket FM2 september 2012
    Hehe yeah but .. apart from FM socket which are for APU - cpu +gfx combos .. most are interchaneable. My latest 6 core Vishera works on 2 year old mobo with a bios flash.

DDR3 ram will work in DDR3 mobos just fine.

Back on topic:

Anyone got experiences in Age of Conan with LGA2011 and if it is noticably better than LGA1155/LGA1150?

Had a word with a friend, graphics designer, with 2011 chipset and 32GB RAM.

Unless you are going to run gfx rendering and need more then 16GB RAM, don't bother.

The amount of ram should not matter, there are LGA1150 boards that support 64GB. But that is dual-channel. LGA2011 has quad-channel memory! Roughly double the bandwith...

http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/conte...e_analysis.png

Thats the apparent main reason for going with the LGA2011 platform. You only need as much ram in your machine as you are going to use. If that is 8GB or 32GB depends on what your needs are. But 4x2GB quad channel ram is going to be a lot faster than 2x4GB dual channel ram.

You'd need a super memory intensive program to utilise quad channel RAM, ie rendering and such.

Gaming is not at this stage unless we are talking 5700+ Eyefinity resolutions and even then. Only game I can think of that this might be useful for is Star Citizen and in Nov 2014.

Personally I wouldn't bother except for the bragging rights especially since next chipset is a year away, hehe.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast