Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: CPU upgrade time?

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    If we speak about lifespans of hard drives, then it is worth mentioning that I have over forty computers running with hard drives from 2002 and 2005. Some of them are even a bit older.
    P.S. I do not understand why does one need more then 1TB of hard drive space. Even editing video and cueing music does not take so much.
    Things stack up. Games these days are also getting bigger and bigger. Assuming you don't like to delete games/uninstall after you finish playing them, they stick around. I have a steam library of 190 games, quite a few of which aren't even installed. Those that are installed make up 536 GB. Add that to other games not in steam, plus music, pictures, videos, audiobooks, a copy of the old aoc US forums, etc. You get over 1 TB pretty easily. And that is just on my main computer. There is probably well over 10 TB of used storage among all the computer/servers in my house.

I have now invested in a MSI GD65 motherboard, some 16GB of Corsair ram and a i7 4770K.

Before, with my E8400 @4,3Ghz, the processor had 75-80% utilization in task manager while running game in DX9. In game, I had 25-50fps depending on particles and situations. When game was not focused (read: looking at browser at 2nd monitor), I had 5-10fps.

Now, with my i7 4770K @4Ghz, I use DX10 and so far I have not been below 70fps. Even when AoC is not in focus... CPU utilization is 23%.

Upgrade definitely worth it and can recommend it if you are on an elder system like I was.
    Last edited by Zoeri; 18th September 2013 at 15:59.

I have an E8500 and just a few frames more than your on average with E8400. DX10 or 9 makes almost no difference.
    I can't wait to get the money and get about the same new CPU as you
    It would be unfair how much I'll be op with 60 fps

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910