Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Class diversity - within itself?

Default Class diversity - within itself?

Hi guys,

I have only been playin aoc for two days, but already I've hit some stuff that makes me weary.

Mainly class diversity.

Is every class able to spec how it would like and be viable? I picked a herald of xotli with every intent on going down the melee focus tree, taking some of the general feats for survival, and maybe a few in the caster tree for instant breath and the stun and such....

However everyone I've mentioned this to tells me I cant do it, thats not how you play. That I have to spec possesion / general or avatar / posession. And theres certain AA I have to take!

I am just confused here, there are 3 trees, and multiple AA skill lines....are they not all viable? Is there a cookie cutter that every uses for each class? Why are there so many skills if only 1 set provides the best results?

Quote Originally Posted by Duskwood0585 View Post
    I am just confused here, there are 3 trees, and multiple AA skill lines....are they not all viable? Is there a cookie cutter that every uses for each class? Why are there so many skills if only 1 set provides the best results?
    1) Because different situations might require different builds if you want to be optimal

2) Because even if a build doesn't provide "the best results" does not mean it is not viable.

Play the way you have the more fun, that's pretty much it. Except if it really cripples a whole raid, and you waste people time; which is REALLY unlikely to happens. (because if you make really crappy build, like going full general without any common sense or without reading the feat you choose, you will feel it in solo).

The fact is that some class have a fantastic diversity according to the feats tree they choose, and it totally change the way you play it (e.g. DT or Conq). And depending on the role, you might want to go more in one tree or the other, or go general. But for some other class, the change isn't that drastic. For a HoX, most people play hybrid Avatar/possession because there's very good feat in both. And you will see that you really want some of them, because there pretty much indispensable. But at the end of the day, you can end with the Tongue & the chains (or just the Tongue) or can choose Avatar or Xotli and you will see that many combination are viable to play.

Even it doesn't change that much the way you play, unlike some other classes, you will see it's still not the same philosophy and that it makes you approach the fights differently.

Is every class able to spec how it would like and be viable?
    So to wrap that up : PVE wise, yeah, pretty much. Except if you are really blind or if you choosing the most incoherent/crappy build on purpose. But :

1) Top end game raid might be more restrictive, since some build/end tree feat are a bit more efficient than other and since the raid are probably a bit more demanding
    2) You will sometime have to adapt yourself to the situation, hence the multi spec stuff.

thanks for the info.

From what I have read once I get to a certain level I get to make a character at level 50 for free. So If I find this HoX too restrictive or not to my liking I can just make a conquerer?

Is my second choice.

It has been a long time, but if I recall correctly, you get a free lvl 50 character when you it the lvl 80 with a toon for the first time.

And I also had a second one when I bought a Turan pack.

So you won't have a free 50 toon before you have fully leveled one. That said, I think HoX are awesome and great to play with. But Conq are great too.

I like the idea of fighting people face to face with a big sword and being able to set them on fire

But the hox forum is full of hate for the class. Saying it has worst surviability, etc etc.

Conq forums seem to like their class.

But I read in a dev post that mages are getting redone starting with hox?

dunno when tho

I probably shouldnt read the forums so much, so much negativity. But my friend is trying to install the game on a super slow barracks internet connection and I have nothing to do while I wait XD

HoX is great. And actually, if you read the forum, you will see than fun-wise, it's a top class. Nearly everyone who tested it like to play it.

But you know, you can love a class and still admit it there's a few problem, and complain on the forum about it. the HoX can do well. And the situation is not that awful. But that's true, compared to other class, HoX is a bit underpowered so people are asking a revamp. They ask for a bit more of survivability, or a bit more of DPS. Or to be more usefull in group, since what the HoX bring to a team, they are always one class which can do better. So yeah, HoX might not shine in one particular role, but shine in itself because it's the coolest class ever.

So revamp will be welcome but not "absolutely needed", since the class isn't broken and can still manage to do the job.

But this revamp isn't planned for tommorow and we will have to wait like all the year or something, since it was hinted that it won't happend before the craft revamp.

Default just an opinion..

Hi guys,

I have only been playin aoc for two days, but already I've hit some stuff that makes me weary.

Mainly class diversity.

Is every class able to spec how it would like and be viable? I picked a herald of xotli with every intent on going down the melee focus tree, taking some of the general feats for survival, and maybe a few in the caster tree for instant breath and the stun and such....

However everyone I've mentioned this to tells me I cant do it, thats not how you play. That I have to spec possesion / general or avatar / posession. And theres certain AA I have to take!

Take it easy..hold your horses..we been playing this game for 4 years now..and still we do changes in our feat trees..since you have the option of having multiple builds(starting with 2)..Feat one full avatar,second full possession and go pick 1 or2 more(from the item shop) for alternative situations like avatar+generall or possession+generall..
    Every fight,every instance is different..you need to change depending the fight..But your primary goal should be to learn the class first..everything..all combos,spells and abilities..master your class..learn what both your trees can do..and then start to worry about builds..just play..and play more..

If you know what to do, you will outdps many players even if you will have crappy build and blue items

Having the needed abilities (stuns, roots etc.) is another thing though.

There are certainly builds that are stronger, especially for certain situations. Finding the optimal build is part of the challenge of the game. It's what rewards you for playing the class long-term, experimenting, and then focusing on what works.

(And "low survivability" is not "hate," it's an objective observation. For most HoX vets, it's not even a complaint. Being a glass cannon is what makes the class exciting, unique, and rewarding to master. Of course, there need to be trade-offs, but that's common sense.)
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedelyia View Post
    It has been a long time, but if I recall correctly, you get a free lvl 50 character when you it the lvl 80 with a toon for the first time.

And I also had a second one when I bought a Turan pack.
    If it a free level 50 when you reach level 50 for the first time with a character.

For Turan you need to get the Jewels of Turan package to get the extra character, I believe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast