Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Director’s Letter – May 2013

Default Please work on STABILITY.

Please work on STABILITY. Please work on STABILITY. Please work on STABILITY.

Is there anyway to release raid/group content that does not lag? The Anniversary events were great but they lagged, everything always lags. I have a $2000 (690gtx) PC and extremely fast internet but everything lags all the time unless I turn particles off and view distance to cock length, then I can run 50+ FPS in open-areas with other players. I know Nvidia runs VERY BAD compared to ATI. Nvidia is DEFINITELY NOT THE WAY ITS MEANT TO BE PLAYED yet you still push Nvidia advertisement at start of game when its a blatant lie. You still have not fixed the issue where anyone in windowed mode has to alt-tab in/out of game to improve the frame-rate to make the PC understand that AoC is the primary program. Its sad that you still have not fixed this, that this company is okay with releasing content that will lag.
    Last edited by Raydenz; 30th May 2013 at 19:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantic0r3 View Post
    they put class revamps behind crafting revamp in their prio so..thats long way off
    I don't remember reading this anywhere?

But anyways, damn you crafting revamp

Quote Originally Posted by Zatochi View Post
    patchnotes for changes to the engine and other technical changes dont make sense.
    I think it is most interesting to read updates like "that" in games, i don't care about dungeon fix or similar updates. But technical side interest's me
    Last edited by darknessjw; 30th May 2013 at 19:46.

joel posted it somewhere...if u really want to find it go through his posts^^

Quote Originally Posted by Arishanya View Post
    It's been said several times that Dragons Spine would be coming out in stages. So this expansion area is not yet complete. I don't expect they'd start a second area before finishing this one.
    You still have PvP players.

Throw us a damn bone and release us T4 pvp gears. T4 PVE gear is ridiculous compared and some of us only pvp. While others pve T4 to take that gear to minis... minis are flooded with the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Raydenz View Post
    Please work on STABILITY. Please work on STABILITY. Please work on STABILITY.

Is there anyway to release raid/group content that does not lag? The Anniversary events were great but they lagged, everything always lags. I have a $2000 (690gtx) PC and extremely fast internet but everything lags all the time unless I turn particles off and view distance to cock length, then I can run 50+ FPS in open-areas with other players. I know Nvidia runs VERY BAD compared to ATI. Nvidia is DEFINITELY NOT THE WAY ITS MEANT TO BE PLAYED yet you still push Nvidia advertisement at start of game when its a blatant lie. You still have not fixed the issue where anyone in windowed mode has to alt-tab in/out of game to improve the frame-rate to make the PC understand that AoC is the primary program. Its sad that you still have not fixed this, that this company is okay with releasing content that will lag.

SLI support sucks in this game. I had stuttering problems with my gtx 580 SLI so I disabled SLI for AoC and no more stuttering and better fps
    Keella - LvL 80 BS - PvP 10.50 (Main)
    Lexxiia - LvL 80 Ranger - PvP 7.68 (2nd Main)
    Sskylla - LvL 80 Sin - PvP 4.55 (1st Alt)
    Lexxaa - LvL 80 Conq - PvP 4.20 (2nd Alt)
    Esteell - LvL 80 HoX - PvP 2.05 (3rd Alt)

Quote Originally Posted by Jovana View Post
    Excitement, achievement, ownership, and belonging, these are a few feelings that I get when I think of player housing in MMORPGs. For me player housing has always been an important factor in whether or not I commit to an MMORPG long term. In many instances player housing is an important factor for many other players beyond myself. So why is it so important to us, why do people cling to virtual homes that have little meaning to the overall game?

Ownership

The first thing that comes to mind with player housing is ownership. When games allow players to own a piece of the game world it makes us connect in a way that we never did before. In Everquest 2 when you buy an apartment in Northern Freeport you can say to anyone "I'm a citizen of Freeport, that’s my city," and the truth is it is your city. It’s the same thing that happens in the real world. When you buy or rent an apartment in the real world your home city instantly becomes the one you're living in. I recently moved from my home town of over sixteen years and within six months my new home had begun to feel familiar and my old home had become less familiar.

The truth is player housing gives players the ability to feel like the own part of the world, in some cases like Ultima Online players would log back on even if they were burnt out of the game just to check in on their house. Back in 1999-2000 I remember waiting outside of a "decaying" house (the player had neglected to pay their rent on the house and it was pending deletion) desperate to build my own house for at the time Ultima Online had limited space for housing. It was such a big deal in UO that websites and third party companies built on land in the hopes of selling it for real money. Back in those days if you wanted a castle (the largest house type) you often had to buy up more than one "plots" of land next to each other so that you could build such a large building. At the time castle plots were so rare that the average cost was around $500!

Purpose

Player housing gives players the feel that their characters are "real" in that world and not just random avatars that pop in/out of the world. These characters have homes in the world which often inspires non-rpers to RP in some small way. The truth is I've always found the strongest RPing communities to be found in games with player owned housing.
    On another note for purpose it can be said that loyalty can be created. In Star Wars Galaxies (which had a housing system similar to UO) many players opened shops in their stores. Often I found myself going back to the same players over and over again to buy the things I needed. No longer were sales "random" auction bids but true transactions. Often players would spend hours just going from player shop to player shop looking for the best prices on an object. Which then created a whole new time-sink in those MMOs, and the truth was it was fun. I always felt overjoyed when I found a good deal and then I would advertise to all my friends that "Wookiee-Nook's House of Bargains" was the best place for composite armor.

Longevity

Aside from the obvious bonuses to players, player housing influences the longevity of games. Most of the games I've seen get shut down in the recent past lacked housing of any kind. Tobula Rasa, Earth and Beyond, APB, and many others lacked any true mechanic to draw players back into their worlds other than raw gameplay. Obviously raw gameplay isn't enough to keep games running (unless you're Blizzard). Ultima Online, Everquest 2, Ashron's Call, and even the infamous Star Wars Galaxies are all still alive while some of the above games that lacked true player housing died out. The fact that SWG is still alive even after 95+% of MMOers have hate for that game is amazing. I'm not saying that housing is keeping SWG alive but it’s fair to assume it could be a factor.

An interesting example of housing having some sort of influence is the Ashron's Call story. Ashron's Call 1 added housing to their game. Ashron's Call 2 was launched and died within one or two years of launch. It’s sad to say it but AC1 was one of those rare instances where its "child" game died before it did, AC1 is still alive even though it looks like it’s from the gaming stone age. Now as mentioned above player housing can't be attributed to have saved AC1 but the truth is it really could be a factor.

The Bottom Line

Player housing is obviously good for both players but developers as well. So why is it that more modern MMOs are keeping this feature out of the game even though technology has obviously progressed? If you lay out the lists of dead games and living games you'll find the vast majority of dead games are non-housing games. Overall the ability to "own" a bit of the gaming world seems to be an important factor to MMOers, even if we don't consciously consider it.

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Yavin_Pr...t-so-important

Other reasons:

As a long term MMO player I thoroughly enjoy the sense of immersion I get when I play MMO's that offer in-game housing. Because I also like to roleplay, housing is an important element I look for. Mainly it's used as a place to store my stuff...but it's also just a place I can go to "get away" from the hubbub.
    There are many things you can do with your house. Use it as a guild headquarters, crafting workshop, meeting place, a shop, warehouse, or a million other things. Did I mention you can store your stuff in one?
    So to me, in-game housing is fairly important. My first exposure to housing was in SWG, which had the grandest housing scheme of all - a complete sandbox solution - you could place your house almost anywhere you wanted, in any direction you wanted. Just plop it down and start to use it. Genius. I really latched on to the idea of owning real-estate in a virtual world that your virtual self lived in. Very cool.
    As my interest waned from SWG over the years, I started looking at other MMO's that were available and noticed that housing / apartments were not significantly available. They were just not in the plans. It quickly appeared that I was a niche player who found themselves looking for a new MMO that had housing. A pretty difficult proposition. Then I found it difficult to find a game that had vehicles and mounts, also like SWG. Pretty soon, I began looking for a SWG clone it seemed. Ouch.
    In my MMO sample platter as I call it, I discovered the following MMO's had some type of housing: Anarchy Online, Ultima Online, Neocron 2, Everquest 2, and Face of Mankind. I found myself willing to try the game regardless of style as long as it had housing. Kind of a strange critirea I know. But that's how I ended up trying them. While I wont touch on those games in this blog posting, suffice it to say that I wasn't really impressed with any of them.
    Then along came Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. I followed this game through mid beta (beta 3) and was just enamored with what it was going to offer. One of the biggies was player owned real-estate and housing - a house that you had to find a plot of land for, purchase it, then actually build a house on it. Wow, now that's immersion! Mechanically this seemed like a tough feat to overcome, since the entire game world is non-instanced and open. But they figured it out. And it works. And it's cool. Now all I need is some gold!
    Later on (in fact just last month) another game released a housing option: Lord of the Rings Online. I too was very impressed with the way the devs decided to handle such a daunting task, and the fact that they decided to implement it at all, made me decide to resub. With the number of subscribers in game, and the fact that the mechanics of the game relied heavily on instancing, why not use instancing to your advantage? So the solution the devs came up with is pretty cool - create instanced neighborhoods instead of instanced houses or apartments. Each neigborhood contains 20 houses of various costs and sizes, and they are quite literally set up in a suburban setting, each house has a front yard which you can decorate, a mailbox and a front door. In addition each neigborhood instance (which is fairly big by the way) has a community center, with parks and meeting areas and a few vendors and a banking NPC. Very cool. And when all 20 houses are bought, POOF! Another instance opens up ready to be consumed. Genius.
    So to wrap things up, in-game housing is very important to this immersive/roleplayer. It's just another tool one can use to help you feel like your avatar is part of the game. They are functional and look cool. How important is housing to your character?

Source:http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/MMOPlaya...InGame-Housing

Point is FunCom could also use thous regions to finally add much over the years requested player housing ^.^

Sozz for the uber long post

DO This so AOC last longer and you make more $$
    Shamazing 80 BS

Tarre 80 Guard

Quote Originally Posted by m4gg0t View Post
    SLI support sucks in this game. I had stuttering problems with my gtx 580 SLI so I disabled SLI for AoC and no more stuttering and better fps
    Not so much the game. More the Nividia drivers. With SLI always use the latest beta drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Arishanya View Post
    While this would be one awesome idea, I only hope that if it got implemented, the guild city itself couldn't be destroyed like Battlekeeps can be. That would be pretty devistating imo.
    Could be very annoying if it hits at raid time, building mats prices would explode. If destroyable they should at least start to regenerate hitpoints as damaged battlekeep buildings do even when destroyed.
    I am Stian ingame...

Quote Originally Posted by Legion- View Post
    Not so much the game. More the Nividia drivers. With SLI always use the latest beta drivers.
    Yea but mainly SLI sucks with this game, so no point using it.
    Keella - LvL 80 BS - PvP 10.50 (Main)
    Lexxiia - LvL 80 Ranger - PvP 7.68 (2nd Main)
    Sskylla - LvL 80 Sin - PvP 4.55 (1st Alt)
    Lexxaa - LvL 80 Conq - PvP 4.20 (2nd Alt)
    Esteell - LvL 80 HoX - PvP 2.05 (3rd Alt)

Quote Originally Posted by Daynan View Post
    You visit your guild city in Lacheish and buy yourself a crate of purified daggermalt then check the trader.
    Suddenly a message pops up on your screen, "A guild city is under attack !!".
    You think "huh, what's this?"
    You climb the gate tower and look over the wall. You see a mass of Gurnaki, perhaps 50 of them (normal mobs) and they are prodding an ice golem in front of them towards your walls.

Oh man xD I loled so hard when I read your "log". I've been there, I've seen that xD

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast