Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: low level gear for new player?

Default low level gear for new player?

I dont PvP, and just do casual PvE. No thoughts of raiding.
    If it can't be done in a group of four, I won't be doing it.

So I guess AoC isn't as gear dependent as most MMORPGs (PvP may be the exception). But I would like to get some decent looking cloths, maybe with some useful stats.

For a character that just entered the City of Tortage is there anything I should be considering. Any quests let me pick up a nice robe or staff? Just don't want to feel like I am wearing a crocodile loincloth anymore.

Thanks,
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Malleable60 View Post
    I dont PvP, and just do casual PvE. No thoughts of raiding.

So I guess AoC isn't as gear dependent as most MMORPGs (PvP may be the exception). But I would like to get some decent looking cloths, maybe with some useful stats.

For a character that just entered the City of Tortage is there anything I should be considering. Any quests let me pick up a nice robe or staff? Just don't want to feel like I am wearing a crocodile loincloth anymore.

Thanks,
    Mal
    Just do all the quests in Tortage. All of them can be done solo (although a couple can be fairly tough to solo on-level)
    Doing the quests should give some decent gear.
    Also check the Trader to see if some other player has put up something nice for sale.

If you have just entered Tortage you should also check the vendors at the marketplace just inside the gates. One of them sells basic armours. Nothing great, but should be an improvement over what you found on the beach and in the jungle on your way there.

Gear in this game used to mean very very little, especially for pvp. Now, it's different unfortunately.

However, Hyboria is filled to the brink with truly awesome looking armor to wear - but for the first say 30 levels it will be rather bland. Hang in there! Also, once you are level 80 you can also solo most content up to level 60 for vanity armor, such as instances and epic playfield sets that you might not have picked up along the way!
    With fond memories of Corinthia RP-PvP...

Pre 20, the best gear is definitely from mission rewards (although the Tortage Survival Pack from the item shop has the best starter weapons, especially if you're going to have a few alts going through Tortage to make the investment worthwhile. But you'll replace even those with Tortage rewards).

After that, green and blue gear are usually extremely cheap, compared to other games. Often you'll see people in chat just giving it away. Watch the trader for steals. (Just remember that your level 40 mount and riding skill is 1 gold total.)

Also, around level 40, dungeon gear starts to get awesome. Burning Sanctum (dungeon) in Wild Lands is very fun, lots of people run it, and the gear looks awesome and will often last you for 20 levels.

Finally, in 50s and on, especially by late 70s, some of the crafted gear (especially weapons) starts getting very nice. Usually expensive though.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

- when you reach level 80 go solo the group instance of low level, specially sanctum of the burning souls in wild lands of zelata, they drop pretty nice vanity gear...
    - keep checking the trader for stuff players are selling, both on cloth armor and social (other types if your class can use it), and try to filter by levels because the search on the trader only shows a maximum number of items, so search for items of levels like 20-30, then 30-40, and so on...
    - you said you dont group or raid, but some very cool looking gear is found only on 6-group dungeons like onyx chambers, xibaluku, atzels fortress, etc

At low level the robes look similar.
    There are different robe models added later (a ragged stitched one from lions quest in khopshef or outcasts in zelata in light red, a ragged green one from epic bosses lvl40+, ceremonial looking blue or purple ones as quest rewards around lvl60+) and a blue cloth armor robe like the mitra priests wear (also from epic bosses lvl40+).
    Other cloth models would be the Kel-Avash one from Sanctum (red golden one, ceremonial tunic), some sets from tarantia commons later (lvl74+) and models of a low cut green dress (slaughterhouse cellar or nemedian cursecaller crafted armor, around lvl80).
    There are also many vanity and social armors or light to heavy armor looking like cloth with some metal or leather pieces attached...

Quote Originally Posted by Malleable60 View Post
    Then you won't have all that much to do once you're 80.

Stats only become important at 80. Luckily for you, amount of cool stuff is staggering. On the other hand, most of the coolest stuff is in dungeons and raids where you won't go. Most low level stuff is also generic and bland so you'll be wearing those croc hides or boring pants and robes for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    Then you won't have all that much to do once you're 80.

Stats only become important at 80. Luckily for you, amount of cool stuff is staggering. On the other hand, most of the coolest stuff is in dungeons and raids where you won't go. Most low level stuff is also generic and bland so you'll be wearing those croc hides or boring pants and robes for a while.
    To be fair, there is quite a bit you can do solo at 80.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast