Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why do maintenance during prime time?

Default why do maintenance during prime time?

Just wondering why you need to take down the servers during prime raid time? Wouldnt it be better to start early in the morning instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Freke View Post
    Just wondering why you need to take down the servers during prime raid time? Wouldnt it be better to start early in the morning instead?
    How in the world is roughly midday for EU timezones considered prime time raid time?

And before you reply with the 8 hr downtime, surely you've noticed almost every downtime is typically half the expected downtime

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    How in the world is roughly midday for EU timezones considered prime time raid time?
    13.00 UTC = 15.00 CET

+ 8 hour maintenance

done by 23.00 CET = no raids

Blame the whiners that wanted their 80 AA points for existing 80s, the downtime is required to inject these points into the character database as running the process while players are online would cause lag issues (which many would also QQ about). Also I guess they'll get rid of the bugged Cultists & such from the world boss event.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    The world we know is cold and hard; the weak shall be trampled underfoot and the strong will march forward to glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post

And before you reply with the 8 hr downtime, surely you've noticed almost every downtime is typically half the expected downtime
    I'll answer anyways.
    IF the downtime continues for the full 8 hours, then it will be 23:00 cet - which is when most raids end. Starting the downtime earlier would make sure that doesnt happen. Why not start at 9am instead? It was just a question, nothing more...

Tomorrow ? F*** it ! It´s a holiday in germany, so no playing at all.

I'll answer anyways.
    IF the downtime continues for the full 8 hours, then it will be 23:00 cet - which is when most raids end. Starting the downtime earlier would make sure that doesnt happen. Why not start at 9am instead? It was just a question, nothing more...
    servers are in the us. 9 am europe time is around 3 am us time (for eastcost).

becasue why would they want to work at 3am jsut so that eu people can play at there prime time? QQ

Quote Originally Posted by Malvoleus View Post
    Blame the whiners that wanted their 80 AA points for existing 80s, the downtime is required to inject these points into the character database as running the process while players are online would cause lag issues (which many would also QQ about). Also I guess they'll get rid of the bugged Cultists & such from the world boss event.
    I'd rather say they do it MAINLY because of the cultists and to clear other leftovers from the event. Your insult to others in this context is completely unnecessary (and probably wrong even). If a downtime and maintenance is planned anyway, it should be the obvious choice to include an additional change during that time, shouldn't it?

Fact is: YOU do NOT know what exactly they patch in or out (might be other surprises, too as usual) and what part of what they do takes how long (unless you do the patching yourself, but then i would not lean too far out of the window).

But in any case european players will have to get used to weird downtimes (but maybe you blame the "whiners" for the move, too...or the for demise of the world in general? (here i am making assumptions, sorry)). Also, it is not like they did not choose unfortunate downtimes considering raid times before (do you blame the AA change for those, too?). They DID have bad experiences when they choose an announced downtime and had to extend it (so probably, when not sure if it is 4h, 6h, or 8h, they would go for the 8h announcement nowadays).
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 29th May 2013 at 07:14.

Quote Originally Posted by GeldourConq View Post
    becasue why would they want to work at 3am jsut so that eu people can play at there prime time? QQ
    I'd say because the EU playerbase is bigger than the US one, and it would make sense to inconvenience the least amount of players.
    Not a big deal, I just wondered why. Hopefully it will be done by raid time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast