Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 year event. Your opinion so far?!

My opinion is that it was bordering on absolutely terrible: I returned after a large break only to see it being the reason I hate modern games (fast levelling and giving raid gear like in LOTRO).

Pros:
    more people logging on.

Cons:
    an alternative to offline levelling on bosses - some level-16 characters in NG jumping to over 22 with not much contribution;
    almost no T1 and T2 raids occured, let alone grouping at all;
    boring kills with no tactics;
    high rewards;
    2000ms lag and 2FPS.

Personally, I see NOTHING good at all in the event. Maybe people with the 10th character of the same class had fun levelling it faster than expected, but I am not such a person.

If it lasted for 10 more days, people would burn out completely and get bored with all their rewards and running from place to place doing almost nothing to kill bosses equal to Chatha in reward.

Overall: it is a very bad job! I also noticed a change in AAs. This is not a smart move at all. AAs are a learning and progression curve for players. Leave it as it was. People enjoy doing sometihng like Atzel runs and raids to become stronger with time.
    Last edited by FerretLord; 28th May 2013 at 13:09.

I thought it was a fun five days. I took my one lvl 80 who didn't have any gear and hit the first two bosses til the t2 dropping ones showed up then hit them when they popped. Ended up with only one t2 assassin dagger but lots of t2 and t1 chests.

No one that I know of got anything over t2 and the ones spamming in global generally were putting up t4 items (which didn't drop). I did have to turn off all particles and nametags to run (especially with Kraken) but had a good time overall, and most of the people on the servers were doing the bosses over and over again that I saw.

This was a new event, unlike the Christmas and Halloween ones that get recycled every year. And they used some of the mechanics of those bosses: the worm spawned adds (luckily not epics), basilisk did a modified stun (short acting), dragon had fire blasts. Devs really like knockbacks though.

All in all I had a lot of fun.

I already said it in another thread, but damn I had fun.

And previous night, we killed a basilisk on NG, probably one of the very last of the event since it was like 5 AM in most of Europe. At this time, we struggled a bit at first because finding people awake was not THAT easy, but it progressively got better and it was damn awesome. It was completely lag-free, and it had a bit more pressure than the the fight in prime time where you go from boss to boss to sly them without focusing that much on what you do (which is also fun, but in a different way). Having to SF on the petrified tank was a very nice touch in the boss, since it prevent you to go full dps-frenzy like a brainless berserk spamming heal every now and them for the healers (like the Kraken fight were half of the 200 people are underwater anyway).

We definitely earned our brain juices that time. And we were not even mad.

Already said it in another topic but can repeat it here.
    Thank You Funcom...this was awesome :-D

The ones that need to whine about this need a dry nappie and some other game, wait for the Lego game maybe lol

Great fun and nice rewards, allthough some got 20 sets of social armor..(Kappie, aka unlucku Luke) lol

Do it again..next year :-D

I see that lots of people are unhappy about this event, but I cannot for the life of me understand why.

Okay, so someone thinks the rewards were lame, and some think the rewards were too much. I'm somewhere inbetween, and be that as it may, this even actually proves one thing: Funcom has gotten their heads together and actually done something DIFFERENT for a change. Just that little tidbit makes me happy.

To be honest, we need more like these events. Sure, add some tactics to them and such, but still, this was pure, large-scale fun all in all. Chasing the spawns was actually quite fun as well, as I at least didn't see any pattern to it. Which, again, is good.
    Battleaxe Brain Surgeons Rides Again!

Wharrgharbl (80 Axemurdering maniac Barb)
    Ikoim (80 Conq)
    Hazakahn (80 ToSspot)
    Kegh (80 Beer Shaman)
    Vachir (80 Guardian)
    Mivat (80 Necromancer)
    A horde of other alts...

Was good fun for a temp event.

I'd have liked to see more strategy involved but when you have a mob designed for 24 people and you throw 100 plus at it, especially when they can ress and run back, any kind of strats go right out the window.

In a perfect world each mob would have had a vanity set in it's own theme. Maybe TSW has spoiled me in this regard. Alternately each mob could have dropped a different piece of a set. Aka kill them all to get the complete set.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeil View Post
    Was good fun for a temp event.

I'd have liked to see more strategy involved but when you have a mob designed for 24 people and you throw 100 plus at it, especially when they can ress and run back, any kind of strats go right out the window.

In a perfect world each mob would have had a vanity set in it's own theme. Maybe TSW has spoiled me in this regard. Alternately each mob could have dropped a different piece of a set. Aka kill them all to get the complete set.
    Definitely good points there, yep. Either way, I hope Funcom does something like this again at other times with other mobs and monsters.

Hell, still have happy memories from similar events in AO, and especially hunting Uncle Pumpkinhead on Halloween :P
    Battleaxe Brain Surgeons Rides Again!

Wharrgharbl (80 Axemurdering maniac Barb)
    Ikoim (80 Conq)
    Hazakahn (80 ToSspot)
    Kegh (80 Beer Shaman)
    Vachir (80 Guardian)
    Mivat (80 Necromancer)
    A horde of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by FerretLord View Post
    My opinion is that it was bordering on absolutely terrible: I returned after a large break only to see it being the reason I hate modern games (fast levelling and giving raid gear like in LOTRO).
    Ok you are saying you were gone for a long time so please let me remind you that T1 and T2 stuff that was dropped (btw. those were only rare drops) is in 99% cases total cr*p and usable only as a vanity. So no harm here.
    Emirri - Dark Templar
    Naerri - Herald of Xotli, Arrienne, Argene, Barbeena, Conqubinne, Shaniz, Shinzei, Laylani and Dorela

I went on at least 30 runs over the five days with my assassin. What dropped was the t1 chest, the t2 chest, t2 sin dagger (finally), at least 10 sets of vanity gear, various potions (about eight or ten in all)...and I ended up selling about eight sets of t1 or t2 sin chests.

Only the chest and weapons dropped. And it was great for Funcom to make the drops class specific (though if I had had a chance at a necro t2 I would have spammed my tos through those mobs).

I'm just surprised they did the same old bosses. You mean to tell me there wasn't an NPC somewhere in the database that hasn't been used yet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast