Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AoC... will die?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiwan View Post
    Sure but as we wish everything best to the game and all above more players why not move servers to EU? there is bigger playerbase generaly, we pay more, potential in EU is also bigger... and all above we got much more PvP players.

You US PvE players can live with higher latency but in Europe there is many players (like me) who doesn´t do almost any PvE and are interested only in PvP part of the game.

By this simpliest logic servers should be in EU instead of in US. Howgh
    There's a few things you haven't thought of here.

1: There's many euros on the US servers, since some of us came from other, non-split games. For myself it was because most of the crew I played Anarchy Online with are from the states, so when they moved to AoC, I followed. There never was a question as to why I rolled on the US-servers even though I live in Norway.

2: Funcom already has a large datacenter in Durham, NC, where they host both the US-servers for AoC, but also many of their other services. From an economic point of view, relocating that datacenter to the EU and quite possibly having to expand it in order to accomodate the higher load etc doesn't make sense.

3: Most if not all of the devteam is now concentrated in Durham. Closeness to the servers is, as you might know, highly important.

If there's one thing that never ceases to amaze me, it's the fact that many PvP'ers seem to instantly dismiss anything a PvE'er say, regardless of WHAT he/she actually says, and that simply because they are PvE'ers. When it comes to PvP systems, I can somewhat understand it. I personally don't know the intricacies of AoC PvP since that side holds absolutely ZERO interest for me in it's current iteration (get some real, proper Open-world PvP-content into the mix, and I'll guarantee you that you'll find me at the forefront of every major battle I can find when I'm online), but does that mean that anything I say about anything related to the game should be dismissed just because I'm primarily a PvE'er?

The higher pings that EU-players find after the move is NOT the end-all be-all that they put it out to be. There's plenty of Aussies, Kiwis and Euros on the US PvP-servers (and PvE, for that matter, for minigames) that consistently pound their opposition into pict-goo, and that's with pings far above what they might have had on the EU-side.

Basically: Adapt, or perish. Your choice.

Oh, and at least try to give FC the time to implement some fixes to the network-protocol of the game. This is a big move, and even though it might not be the most popular, it will do the game good once the next phases of the move goes live in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatochi View Post
    ... There is physics and it says there is nothing faster then the speed of light...
    IJS... http://www.space.com/21140-star-trek...-possible.html

Einsteins Theory of Relativity has a loophole!

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWrath666 View Post
    So, my question, my fear, is: AoC will die?
    Yes. You will die too. We're all gonna die. Everything dies. It's a pretty fundamental thing, don't get too hang up on it. Play AoC while it lives.

Also don't believe everything you hear. Most players around here a -edited by Grizzly-.

edit: man, mods are getting fast on the trigger
    Last edited by cins; 15th May 2013 at 12:41.

well you know we, old players of conan, tend to whine some times more than needed Imo aoc will not die as it did not die after every other mmo launch (remember talk about AION, GW2?
    Jenyu - Assassin
    Lutheor - Herald Of Xotli
    Destiny

"Now you see me, now you don't"

"I don't pvp so I don't know what impact latency has on pvp but I presume it is minimal because pvpers are always crybabies exaggerating grossly".

It's pretty much what I'm reading on the forums atm :/
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Roargathor View Post
    Re-itemizing the game so there is no gap between new and veteran PvPer's would do wonders for the population. PvErs have been catered to for long enough and the game has suffered for it.
    This
    /10 char
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    "I don't pvp so I don't know what impact latency has on pvp but I presume it is minimal because pvpers are always crybabies exaggerating grossly".

It's pretty much what I'm reading on the forums atm :/
    If that's what you dug out of my post, then you're sadly wrong. I never said that latency didn't impact PvP, what I said what that the increased latency is NOT the end of PvP in general. Those willing to adapt will do so, those unwilling will perish and disappear. Will there be a loss of players in general and especially among PvP'ers due to this change? Most definitely, and that's sad. But it is what it is.

I also didn't say that PvP'ers are exaggerating crybabies, although some are :P Most of them are loud and some can be obnoxious at times, but they both have a place in AoC and usually also have good ideas. And they are in dire need of some serious lovin' from FC's side, who has treated them like the red-headed ******* stepchild for far too many years.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWrath666 View Post
    It's strange to write this thread few day after my topic about a subscription's information!
    But in this day it's happen one of the most important things: server merge!
    Ton's of people askin' why funcom did this "horrible" change, making unplayable the EU's players, and alot of people had left this game (forgetting the subs) for going to play others game.
    So, my question, my fear, is: AoC will die? I'm very unhappy when I guess the possible closing of AoC. I've played the new games (such as GW2 or NWonline), but no one is like AoC!
    Will not die. We need to take it easy now . They need to sort pvp or they may lose a host of players in Europe. This is (un)fortunatly a game that has its strongest point in PvE, and that is still great.

Evidence do not point to a sudden death, but it is a serious situation for big parts of the game.

No, your post was a lot more nuanced so I didn't really have yours in mind. But I'm thinking more of cins' above post or what I saw in the countless deleted/closed threads.

Of course it's not the end of pvp, but it's the end of pvp as we hardcore Eu pvpers know it. End of the hardcore guilds on Fury too. I think there won't even be any guild capable of CLEARING t4 (loss of hardcore eu gamers + massive loss of Russians) on Fury for some time (until they merge us with US servers)
    Last edited by kalston; 15th May 2013 at 13:18.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    No, your post was a lot more nuanced so I didn't really have yours in mind. But I'm thinking more of cins' above post or what I saw in the countless deleted/closed threads.

Of course it's not the end of pvp, but it's the end of pvp as we hardcore Eu pvpers know it. End of the hardcore guilds on Fury too. I think there won't even be any guild capable of CLEARING t4 (loss of hardcore eu gamers + massive loss of Russians) on Fury for some time (until they merge us with US servers)
    This might be true, yes. For better or worse, the merging of all servers and implementation of cross-server tech (if it works as announced, of course :P) will change the game and more specifically: the population. If it'll be a nice, big cake of win or a landmine that goes off in our faces remains to be seen. Personally, I'm hoping for cake but until I see said cake, I'm firmly on the fence.
    Battleaxe Brain Surgeons Rides Again!

Wharrgharbl (80 Axemurdering maniac Barb)
    Ikoim (80 Conq)
    Hazakahn (80 ToSspot)
    Kegh (80 Beer Shaman)
    Vachir (80 Guardian)
    Mivat (80 Necromancer)
    A horde of other alts...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast